Mitch and the Fifth Year Option Math

Toast88

Liked Posts:
What are your guys' thoughts on why Pace didn't announce Trubisky's fifth-year option pickup during the presser?

He did announce Leonard Floyd's pickup during last year's presser. Is he simply taking more time to evaluate fully and see what his options are for the quarterback position? Or is it something more?

As others have noted, there's relatively little risk in picking up the option. It's guaranteed only against injury. They can always drop Trubisky after Year 4 with zero liability even if they pick up the option.

But what if, and I know this is a big if, Pace didn't announce Trubisky's fifth year option because he's actually being financially smart about the quarterback position?

If you think about it, there's really no logical mathematical reason to pick up Trubisky's fifth year option.

A fifth year option would net Trubisky about $22 million for that one year. I can see no realistic scenario, even if Trubisky plays well, that he'll play well to the tune of a $22 million-a-year contract extension. So there's really no risk in NOT picking up the option.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it was premature to address the issue

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What are your guys' thoughts on why Pace didn't announce Trubisky's fifth-year option pickup during the presser?

He did announce Leonard Floyd's pickup during last year's presser. Is he simply taking more time to evaluate fully and see what his options are for the quarterback position? Or is it something more?

As others have noted, there's relatively little risk in picking up the option. It's guaranteed only against injury. They can always drop Trubisky after Year 4 with zero liability even if they pick up the option.

But what if, and I know this is a big if, Pace didn't announce Trubisky's fifth year option because he's actually being financially smart about the quarterback position?

If you think about it, there's really no logical mathematical reason to pick up Trubisky's fifth year option.

A fifth year option would net Trubisky about $22 million for that one year. I can see no realistic scenario, even if Trubisky plays well, that he'll play well to the tune of a $22 million-a-year contract extension. So there's really no risk in NOT picking up the option.
He did not have to announce it is my only guess

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No doubt. But he *did* announce Leonard Floyd's fifth year option being picked up the day after the season ended the previous year.

I'm not saying it necessarily means something. But it also doesn't necessarily mean nothing.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

It's just like the coach firings. They know what they are going to do, and that is they are going to pick it up. Pace just didn't want to answer all the negative questions that were sure to follow had he announced it. The next tough question he answers will be his first. I am surprised he doesn't need an emotional support animal at the pressers... or is that what Nagy is to him?

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Deion Sanders "We need to stop paying guys just by the position"
"Why is it just because they play QB they should get 100 million dollars?"

Well put Deion!!

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Trubisky is much more polarizing to the fan base than Floyd. There was no reason to bring it up until the dust from a dismal season settles.

The option will be picked up. That is virtually guaranteed. The real debate will be if Trubisky is a Chicago Bear in his 5th season though. Stay tuned...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It's just like the coach firings. They know what they are going to do, and that is they are going to pick it up. Pace just didn't want to answer all the negative questions that were sure to follow had he announced it. The next tough question he answers will be his first. I am surprised he doesn't need an emotional support animal at the pressers... or is that what Nagy is to him?
Most GMs aren't presser guys. And they arent hired to be that. Their work is done behind the scenes, while the HC is the public face of the team.

Unless you prefer a GM like Jerry Jones...

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
These GMs are like politicians they much pretty much just dance around questions without s saying much.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Most GMs aren't presser guys. And they arent hired to be that. Their work is done behind the scenes, while the HC is the public face of the team.

Unless you prefer a GM like Jerry Jones...
I prefer a GM that can hit on at least 1 of his 4 top ten overall picks.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I prefer a GM that can hit on at least 1 of his 4 top ten overall picks.
Me too. But that doesnt mean he has to talk about them all just to appease some unrealistic fans...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It could mean a lot of things. Or nothing.

We don't have a lot to go on so fans would rather speculate on the meaning to reinforce their own thought process and wishes

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Deion Sanders "We need to stop paying guys just by the position"
"Why is it just because they play QB they should get 100 million dollars?"

Well put Deion!!

He is lucky they didn’t pay guys by the tackles they made

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

QB Franchise tag value for 2020 is 26.4 million.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Every non-journeyman starting QB makes 22Mil. Mitch either earns 22Mil by his play in 2020, or he's terrible again. If he even plays like 2018 (showing 2019 is the outlier), he'll probably get 22M per year. There's really no risk either way. Just like the Kyle Fuller situation. Either he plays poorly and is gone or he plays well and earns a long-term contract.

I look at Tampa and they still don't know what to do about Jameis. Picked up the 5th year because they didn't have any other options. And they still don't know what they have with him with all the turnovers. So they either have to franchise him, sign him long-term, or lose him. That 5th year comes off to me as a crutch if Mitch is just OK, and you're still holding out hope if he goes in the right direction next year. Don't prolong the decision. Decide what direction to go in right now. If you don't know if Mitch is the guy today, then you need to go get "the guy", whether in 2020 or 2021. If Mitch happens to master reading coverages, then it's easier to adjust your strategy when you actually have the guy.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

when did glennon ever show even an iota if worth to the tune of 18 mil? I’m sure this dope would drop the 22 mil on trubisky in a heart beat.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
No doubt. But he *did* announce Leonard Floyd's fifth year option being picked up the day after the season ended the previous year.

I'm not saying it necessarily means something. But it also doesn't necessarily mean nothing.
Dealing with less money in Floyd's case, about half the amount. More of a no brainer, nobody will care type thing. Bears actually have til May 3 to exercise the option and likely want to do it more discreetly so it doesn't get as much attention as it would at an end of season presser. Hard to explain to media and fans at a presser why you intend to pay a bottom 5 QB 24 mil+. May also want to wait for the whole Free Agency thing to play out in March. If Bears do sign a FA QB who can be viewed as real competition at the QB position it would further taper the response from media and fans when Bears announce the Trubisky extension as all would then see Bears have another viable option at QB in place and are not handcuffed to keeping Trubisky in '21.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

If they were as certain as you that he'd never be a $22m a year QB, there's no reason to execute the option.
The last sentence is why you would not pick it up. Say he plays well enough to keep but will still be competing for the starting spot. If he had that salary, you'd need to cut him to resign him for less with no private negotiation period. There's also the embarrassment of being cut to get around. Not exactly a sign of being wanted.

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because they want to sign Mitch to more than a year. Watch and see...