Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
it wasn't Trubisky that screwed the pooch on their Super Bowl opportunity a couple years ago, it was the kicker. though his play diminished rapidly in the Rex Grossman end of season/postseason sense after the shoulder injury. I'm fairly certain he could complete more than 10 passes in a whole game though.

he was seriously Grossman, just couldn't throw as far. or as accurately deep.

I'll just repost for posterity that a majority of people here after draft day 2017 here were jagging their dicks at the prospect of Pace trading 6 picks to move up one spot in the draft with Watson and Mahomes still on the board to get this jerko. but tell me more about the Mack trade and how that fucked up multiple drafts for years or something. (this wound up being a shitty deal too, on the surface)
I think the consensus was that he finally got his QB and if it worked out, that the rest was a minor issue. Mitch sucked so it became a bigger one.

It was actually one 3 and two 4s to move up one spot. Proven silly to do in that case but it would only be a footnote if Mitch was the best QB in that draft.

Mitch was generally the top rated QB in that draft, wasn't considered overdrafted at the time, so I don't see how he should be considered the worst pick since 06. I'd think that would be a reach or player with a troubled past taken early. Mitch was a fail by any standard but based on performance and just at QB, Russell, Rosen, Sanchez, Haskins and Manziel were all worse picks even though they were taken later.

Unfortunately, that offers no solace in the fail that was Trubisky who does deserve the mention given in that article.

Last edited:

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
No other pick prevented the Bears winning a SB more so than Trubisky

That's hard to quantify - The Bears didn't so much as sniff a Super Bowl during the Trubisky era, and there were multiple reasons.

Would the Bears have reached the Super Bowl if they had drafted Mahomes or Watson? Maybe, but we'll never know. Some will say yes, without a doubt, and some will say the Bears would have ruined either one of them.

We don't know. We can only speculate.

Anyway. that's all in the past now.

Last edited:

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The one legit run the Bears had to get to the Superbowl Mitch gave the Bears a chance to get the win, blame the kicker for that... After that 2019 was a meltdown for sure but without Mitch, 2020, you are not even 8 and 8.

To be fair they pull him in the Atlanta game, and if they haven't they would of lost.

When I look at Draft picks, I'd rather look at the player and see what they did to hold you back, and you also have to look at what you have on roster too as well. Mitch, not great, not the worst... just facts.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The one legit run the Bears had to get to the Superbowl Mitch gave the Bears a chance to get the win, blame the kicker for that... After that 2019 was a meltdown for sure but without Mitch, 2020, you are not even 8 and 8.

To be fair they pull him in the Atlanta game, and if they haven't they would of lost.

When I look at Draft picks, I'd rather look at the player and see what they did to hold you back, and you also have to look at what you have on roster too as well. Mitch, not great, not the worst... just facts.
He gave them a chance after he kept killing their chances. Stop acting like the potential game winning drive is the only one that matters. Mitch was shit for about 50min of that game and its the biggest reason why they lost and needed a kicker to win it while still being under 20 points.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I think the consensus was that he finally got his QB and if it worked out, that the rest was a minor issue. Mitch sucked so it became a bigger one.

It was actually one 3 and two 4s to move up one spot. Proven silly to do in that case but it would only be a footnote if Mitch was the best QB in that draft.

Mitch was generally the top rated QB in that draft, wasn't considered overdrafted at the time, so I don't see how he should be considered the worst pick since 06. I'd think that would be a reach or player with a troubled past taken early. Mitch was a fail by any standard but based on performance and just at QB, Russell, Rosen, Sanchez, Haskins and Manziel were all worse picks even though they were taken later.

Unfortunately, that offers no solace in the fail that was Trubisky who does deserve the mention given in that article.

yeah, I think that's the other thing that's vastly overlooked, yet acknowledged much, is that he was (one of?) the highest graded prospects out of that draft. we'll never know what he could've been if he went to a legitimate team like the Chiefs.

I maintain the Bears could fuck up a 2 car funeral, lifetime. after the fact it comes out that Nagy wouldn't even apply any time or effort to the dude, so who really failed?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah, I think that's the other thing that's vastly overlooked, yet acknowledged much, is that he was (one of?) the highest graded prospects out of that draft. we'll never know what he could've been if he went to a legitimate team like the Chiefs.

I maintain the Bears could fuck up a 2 car funeral, lifetime. after the fact it comes out that Nagy wouldn't even apply any time or effort to the dude, so who really failed?
He may have been more serviceable but he was never going to live up to that draft spot.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

I really don’t think it would have mattered what team Trubisky would have been drafted by. He would have still ended up a mediocre QB like he was with the Bears.

mecha

Liked Posts:
He may have been more serviceable but he was never going to live up to that draft spot.
I agree. I'm surprised more people haven't made the comparison to Grossman with him. lol

I don't get why scouts and such had him ranked so high when he played like 10 games total in college.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If we are going based on that than yes Trubisky is the worst pick

Not because of passing on Watson though. But passing on Mahomes. Watson would have equaled more wins but he was spectacularly awful in his 2018 playoff game vs an average defense on the Colts

DBCOOPER

Liked Posts:
I see a lot of hate for Gabe Carimi here. Didn't he have a serious knee injury his rookie season that really set him back with multiple surgeries? Not sure he should be trashed on more than, say, Kevin White.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Mitch led the team to the playoffs twice, so it wasn't all bad.

I'd say its gotta be Kevin White. Dude barely got on the field.

Last edited:

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
It depends on how you view "worst." Kevin White would be the worst pick in franchise history if you're talking about production. You could probably make an argument that Kevin White is one of the biggest draft busts ever. How many top 10 draft picks played less snaps than he did?

Trubisky was the worst miss in franchise history because of the two quarterbacks that followed him. On the field, though, he was certainly better than many other Bears 1st round picks.

Last edited:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I see a lot of hate for Gabe Carimi here. Didn't he have a serious knee injury his rookie season that really set him back with multiple surgeries? Not sure he should be trashed on more than, say, Kevin White.
He dislocated his knee if I recall.

Nonetheless, you draft a left tackle that had to be kicked inside to guard because he couldn't beat out J'Marcus Webb at LT or a converted TE Lance Louis at RT, and couldn't figure out how to zone pass block to save his life/was a straight run mauler until either the Saints or Bucs got him to be decent pass blocking.

Not that this part is his fault, but I believe he was the guy who Jerry Angelo fucked up a trade with Baltimore over, causing them to drop back some picks in the 20s/first round. Then he pissed off meatballs by saying he couldn't wait to play at 'Chicago Stadium.'

Then he was out of the league after 2014 to start his own nutrition business. Or so the wikipedia says.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:

I remember someone here writing a scouting report on Mahomes with a HOF ceiling. Cant find the thread. IDK who it was

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I remember someone here writing a scouting report on Mahomes with a HOF ceiling. Cant find the thread. IDK who it was
May have been Luke but he wasn't the only one that understood the potential. Other posters did as well. I called his arm talent generational but no one knows if these guys have the brane for the NFL. He had a lot to correct and clean up but that arm has always been very special. Brady's is not but he's the GOAT. Jeff George's arm talent was amazing.

I wanted to trade down to about 9 or 10 in that draft, take whatever QB was still there and gain picks in the process. The reason I was fine with the Mitch pick is simply because I know what we don't know and Pace finally took a QB.

It's likely that 2 of the 1st round QBs from this last draft are meh or worse but no one knows which those are.

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Mitch led the team to the playoffs twice, so it wasn't all bad.

I'd say its gotta be Kevin White. Dude barely got on the field.
The defense led the team to the playoffs in 2018 and the NFL adding an extra team in the playoffs led the team to the playoffs in 2020. Mitch did not lead the Bears into the playoffs. I’d even argue that Santos had more to do with the Bears making the playoffs in 2020 than Trubisky.