Mitch Trubisky ŵill be very good

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
If John Fox let's him. The stats back that up:

Mitch Trubisky, Bears
Considering he was the second overall pick just six-odd months ago, it doesn’t seem like many people outside of Chicago are talking about the Bears’ young franchise building block. Part of that is because the Bears are an afterthought in the NFC North, and another reason is that through five starts, Trubisky looks, well, like a guy who made 13 total starts in college. He’s often been slow to process what’s in front of him, is still adapting to a pro-style offense after spending most of his time in the shotgun looks at North Carolina, and makes too many mistakes with his fundamentals. In limited action, he’s already broken a cardinal rule of quarterback play: don’t throw back across your body and back across the field while rolling out of the pocket. He’s done this a handful of times—moving to his right with varied results, getting a tipped-ball touchdown out of one of those throws, but a pick on another. And as he’s rushed to learn the footwork, reads, progressions, and deluge of other things you need to do on every snap as a pro passer, we’ve seen a few too many throws like these—where he’ll air-mail a pass over his receivers’ heads, throw off his back foot, or fail to get set to deliver a pass (or all three).

Since taking over for Mike Glennon in Week 5, Trubisky has completed just 59 of 115 passes for 809 yards (7.0 yards per attempt), with three touchdowns and two picks. His 161.8 yards per game ranks 33rd among 34 qualifying passers, better than only Brett Hundley. His 76 rating ranks 33rd of 36 qualifying quarterbacks, and his completion percentage (51.3) is better than only Tom Savage among those 36 qualifying passers. He’s struggled with pressure, taking way too many sacks (16 total—tied for fourth worst since Week 5). And five games in, it’s abundantly clear that the Bears are doing their best to hide their rookie signal-caller in their scheme: In Chicago’s back-to-back wins over the Ravens and Panthers in weeks 6 and 7, for instance, Trubisky completed a grand total of 12 combined passes, connecting on 53 percent of his attempts for 220 yards and a touchdown. Overall, he’s averaged just 23 pass attempts per game, with head coach John Fox and offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains instead leaning heavily on their run game for a league-high 54 percent rate since Trubisky was named the starter.

Still, there are reasons enough to believe that Trubisky can develop into a player that makes the franchise and city forget what he cost the team in draft capital. On this throw last week against the Packers, Trubisky dropped back and kept his eyes and shoulders facing to the right—holding the deep safety in his spot in the middle of the field—before launching a perfectly placed rainbow to his left for a touchdown.

Against the Ravens, Trubisky avoided the rush, reset in the changing pocket, and strafed right before launching a pass to the middle. On one hand, you could say that he probably shouldn’t be throwing jump passes from the pocket, but on the other, that was a hell of a throw, and it was impressive that he didn’t drop his eyes on the rushers, but kept his focus downfield to complete a laser pass to his receiver.

That pass also demonstrates one of Trubisky’s strongest traits at this point in his career: his ability to throw on the run. He’s made a handful of impressive throws while booting or sprinting out to his right. On the first in the clip below, he hit his receiver in stride for a first down; on the second, well, that one didn’t count because of a holding call on the center, but it was a great throw nonetheless; and on the third, he put just enough oomph into it to hit tight end Dion Sims in the end zone.

Trubisky’s not been asked to throw much yet, but at least when he does let the ball fly, he’s pushing it downfield. He’s averaged 9.4 intended air yards per throw, per NFL Next Gen Stats (10th), with an average of 8.1 air yards per completion (i.e., the distance the ball travels down the field before the catch), third highest in the NFL. But watching the Bears’ offense compared with, say, that of the Chiefs, Eagles, or Watson-led Texans, it’s clear that Chicago’s intent on fitting their new quarterback into a more traditional run-heavy, under-center, pro-style offense. The Bears sprinkle in some “college style” run-pass options, plays that Trubisky frequently ran at North Carolina, but don’t heavily utilize some of the presnap motion and read-option concepts that the aforementioned teams have worked into their schemes seamlessly and with great success. Trubisky lined up in the shotgun on nearly 98 percent of his dropbacks in college. Since he took over as starter, the Bears have lined up with Trubisky under center on a league-high 63 percent of his snaps. If Fox and Loggains would give Trubisky more opportunities to operate from shotgun looks with read-pass options and read-option looks built in, I believe we’d see a much more explosive, dynamic, and successful quarterback down the stretch. Trubisky could thrive in a system that confuses the hell out of defenses, stretches them both horizontally and vertically, and gives him more clearly defined reads. You can see the rookie quarterback read the linebackers on this play vs. the Vikings, pulling the ball back to make the throw over the middle when they creep toward the line of scrimmage.

Following the Packers’ win over the Bears on Sunday, Green Bay pass rusher Clay Matthews wasn’t surprised they were able to sack the Trubisky five times. “That’s what you expect to do when a team is so one-dimensional,” he said, a shot seemingly meant more for the Bears coaching staff than for the rookie quarterback. Chicago’s overreliance on the run makes them predictable: Since Week 5, the team has run the ball 83 times on first down compared with throwing just 35 times—making it much too easy for opposing defenses to stack the box and stuff the play. That can put the offense behind schedule and present Trubisky with tougher passing situations on second- and third-and-longs. For Trubisky, this season has a similar feel to Jared Goff’s rookie year under Jeff Fisher, and without a change in focus, it wouldn’t be shocking if the Bears rookie continues to struggle. He’s got the athleticism and talent to break out as a bona fide pro passer, like Goff has done this year, but he may need the Bears to introduce more concepts that he was proficient with in college.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/...ubisky-deshone-kizer-jacoby-brissett-check-in

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really hope he will be good as well.

If he doesn't become a good starting QB that would be a crushing blow, especially coming off of the Cutler disappointment.

I really hope he works out.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The offense they are running is brutal and has really screwed Trubisky.

I hope we get a real coach for him.

Right now it doesnt look like that franchise learned anything from the failures of Cutler.

-Crap coaching
-No weapons

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I have to see how this clown show gm and coach approach this offseason before claiming whether he will be any good. That offense needs some talent at wr and oline and that coaching staff needs some changes. If pace goes after bums again good luck. If loggains is oc again good luck. If coaches are cleaned out and pace has a emery moment picking the next coach again good luck

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Right now it doesnt look like that franchise learned anything from the failures of Cutler.

-Crap coaching
-No weapons

Even worse, we went backwards to set it up like that for Trubisky.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

-Crap coaching
-No weapons

What weapons were the Bears supposed to target in free agency last year captain reactionary?

mecha

Liked Posts:
What weapons were the Bears supposed to target in free agency last year captain reactionary?

I don't think dude said anything about free agency. when you consider the team drafted and had Jeffery, who even when missing half the season with injury is still 50x a better target, combined with the Kevin White pick that was supposed to address a departing Brandon Marshall (which I still argue, was for no reason) yeah, the team should've already been set at the position. Pace's approach to FA in the very least doesn't have any lasting effects to the cap. it's a shooting fish in a barrel approach to getting a variety of options and hope something sticks. I can't really say the same for the WR position, but once again, the system was already in place, blowing it up and replacing it with nothing isn't very helpful.

Loggains probably isn't as big of a problem as he's made out to be, but John Fox is of that same school of thought as Lovie Smith where you play not to lose games. Trubisky should be playing balls out right now rather than trying to keep his turnover counts low. they're losing games anyway, he's still relatively new to the position. actually, that's more of some Marc Trestman shit really, ohh we can't break his spirit and hurt him mentally if he throws interceptions.

but hey, the rest of you keep making "LOL PREDICT TRUBISKY NEXT SEASON" threads.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Crap weapons is about more than a single offseason.

It is also a statement of fact that they have crap weapons. Captain mis-read and over react.

Please share with us how the Bears do not have crap weapons? Even before the injuries there WR core was bad probably a bottom 5 unit in the NFL.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Meredith thing is unfortunate.

But his faith in Kevin White and Markus Wheaton burned Pace badly and burned him worse when Glennon failed and his guy had to play with bums. That isn't reactionary, both have spent significant time on IR assuming they would be healthy was a risk.

The Inman trade was a good move, but probably should have happened weeks before.

But 2/3 of his top 3 guys were injury concerns and it has blown up in his face at the WR position.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What really killed Pace this season is that his Glennon evaluation was so bad.

No one would care if Glennon was out there with these coaches and no weapons.

But he missed so badly on Glennon that Trubisky is now having to operate in this poor situation for a QB.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
What really killed Pace this season is that his Glennon evaluation was so bad.

No one would care if Glennon was out there with these coaches and no weapons.

But he missed so badly on Glennon that Trubisky is now having to operate in this poor situation for a QB.
Eh. Not really. It was a bad move but this is a 3-6 team regardless of the QB. I'd rather Trubisky be getting these reps now than starting from scratch next year. Keeping Fox around was the biggest mistake. Just delayed the inevitable and potential turnaround.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Crap weapons is about more than a single offseason.

It is also a statement of fact that they have crap weapons. Captain mis-read and over react.

Please share with us how the Bears do not have crap weapons? Even before the injuries there WR core was bad probably a bottom 5 unit in the NFL.

Pace has three drafts under his belt and in that time has completely rebuilt the defense from an aging 4-3 power house to a 3-4 top-10ish unit. He's also rebuilt the offense to a budding unit that was devastated by injuries. There's only so much Pace can do every year and in three years he's built a playoff caliber defense.

The offense has a budding running game that is one of the best in the NFL in year three and was devastated by injuries at WR.

Shaheen looks completely misused and wasted by this offense. He's a weapon of the future based on what we've seen when they give him a chance. The Bears have run the ball 83 times on first down since Mitch showed up versus 31 passes. You can't succeed even if you have happens when you scheme that way.

To in any way go after the GM is the most asinine statement you can make on this board especially he just added a capable WR out of nowhere.

"The franchise hasn't learned anythinh" yeah being beset by injuries to your top three receivers is definitely not learning a lesson...GTFOH.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I really hope he will be good as well.

If he doesn't become a good starting QB that would be a crushing blow, especially coming off of the Cutler disappointment.

I really hope he works out.

i would say, even if trubs doesnt work out, at least weve moved on. but i said that when lovie was fired... and then fox happened. so who the fucks knows with this franchise.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Next thing R&S will proclaim him the next coming, Like I'm not worried enough by this thread already.