Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Manfred rejected it

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
well, just stay under your rock, don't let the facts get in the way of your agenda.
I don't have an agenda. Over 22K Americans are getting sick each day and ~700 people are dying each day. These stats DO NOT reflect the recent easing of distancing measures that have started over the past week.

Go to Coronavirus Update (Live): 8,629,294 Cases and 457,609 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

It's just stats. No agenda. You can compare how the US is doing compared to other countries. If you feel the US is doing okie-dokie, then you are probably the one hiding under a rock.

What frustrates me is distancing measures have been largely ignored or even mocked while the raw data suggests that this isn't going away. If someone openly said 'who cares, it's only the old that are dying and they don't do anything' I'd actually commend their honesty. I hate that people are just ignoring the data and pretending it's not a problem. In short, there's a lot of COVIDiots. Their impatience represents a genuine risk to society returning to normal.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
So, at some point, people are going to have to come to grips with the fact that we cannot hide in our homes until a vaccine is ready. There isn't even a guarantee that we will get a vaccine. And if we do, it's at least 16 months out. So it's not matter of there not being sports in 2020, there would be no sports until 2022 at the earliest.

But let me ask you something. A lot of people still have jobs and have to go to work which is obviously putting them at risk. Why is it okay for those people but not athletes? I'm not being snarky but I'm curious about your perspective on that.
I agree with you. I actually wish there was a defined playbook to flatten the COVID-19 curve, where each region could be told 'you need to be indoors and quarantined for 2 weeks then we are good'. The problem is as some people who sit in the same community that's practicing distancing they have a bunch of people that couldn't give a fuck, so they are disrupting what should be a coordinated plan to aggressively get through this. For those who were willing to be indoors for 2 weeks now it gets stretched to 4 weeks, then an undefined time. The people that were helping just get fed up and eventually join the herd of people who just don't care anymore. That's very risky as it has many unknown outcomes that aren't great.

Just to compare the current people who are ignoring distancing measures, not wearing masks, etc... are this virus' anti-vaxxers. They are completely content ignoring guidelines thinking everything will be fine without them doing their part. They essentially rely entirely on herd immunity while not willing to assist in that same herd immunity that will help them.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This is the reason to lock down 750 baseball players?
I want to focus on this one part for a second.

The reason why the lock down is important is you want to have a legit season that has competitive games and a meaningful champion. If teams end up losing key players for 2 weeks at a time or have to forfeit games then what's the point of even having a season?

If a league is going to try to have a season their are certain precautions needed to ensure they can have a legitimate season. that's why all these leagues are talking lock down. It's not about them being soft or anything like that. They want to set it up in a way that actually lets them have a meaningful season.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I don't have an agenda. Over 22K Americans are getting sick each day and ~700 people are dying each day. These stats DO NOT reflect the recent easing of distancing measures that have started over the past week.

Go to Coronavirus Update (Live): 8,629,294 Cases and 457,609 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer

It's just stats. No agenda. You can compare how the US is doing compared to other countries. If you feel the US is doing okie-dokie, then you are probably the one hiding under a rock.

What frustrates me is distancing measures have been largely ignored or even mocked while the raw data suggests that this isn't going away. If someone openly said 'who cares, it's only the old that are dying and they don't do anything' I'd actually commend their honesty. I hate that people are just ignoring the data and pretending it's not a problem. In short, there's a lot of COVIDiots. Their impatience represents a genuine risk to society returning to normal.

What about the other 7700 Americans who die every day? Where is the worry for them, their diseases, their problems? That is every day. My point was the US, not the liberal minded World stats that show how deadly this is in countries with poor medical community anyway. They are not even counting in Wuhan anymore. Why didnt we stop everything in 2009 when 2.5 million people died from H1N1?

Where are the majority of cases? New York, the hard headed pricks who refused to stay home, were not ordered to stay home, packed subways and office buildings. The stay at home was supposed to allow the medical community a chance to keep up with cases. Seems to me they are when the majority of people being tested are just staying home.

I went out to Wisconsin sunday, it blew my mind. No masks, in stores, in bars, in restauraunts, the only dead carcasses I saw on the side of the road were deer. Thats how they want people to think. Go to work, go home. Simple. The majority of cases in the US are not even requiring hospitalization.

I dont care if they dont play, its all greed, but come up with some different excuse for shutting the country down. Cant go to work but can go out in groups to protest, but who exactly is to blame when the governments allow them to gather and protest? The same ones scaring the law abiding citizens to horde toilet paper and stay home.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
What about the other 7700 Americans who die every day? Where is the worry for them, their diseases, their problems? That is every day. My point was the US, not the liberal minded World stats that show how deadly this is in countries with poor medical community anyway. They are not even counting in Wuhan anymore. Why didnt we stop everything in 2009 when 2.5 million people died from H1N1?

Where are the majority of cases? New York, the hard headed pricks who refused to stay home, were not ordered to stay home, packed subways and office buildings. The stay at home was supposed to allow the medical community a chance to keep up with cases. Seems to me they are when the majority of people being tested are just staying home.

I went out to Wisconsin sunday, it blew my mind. No masks, in stores, in bars, in restauraunts, the only dead carcasses I saw on the side of the road were deer. Thats how they want people to think. Go to work, go home. Simple. The majority of cases in the US are not even requiring hospitalization.

I dont care if they dont play, its all greed, but come up with some different excuse for shutting the country down. Cant go to work but can go out in groups to protest, but who exactly is to blame when the governments allow them to gather and protest? The same ones scaring the law abiding citizens to horde toilet paper and stay home.

RE: 7700 Americans die every day - So, because 7700 die then we should ignore a NEW virus that's adding to that number? BTW if you are making the argument that the US is already in it for 7700, so the extra ~700 (10%) doesn't matter you are wrong, especially when it's preventable.

RE: "Why didnt we stop everything in 2009 when 2.5 million people died from H1N1?" - You are wrong. From the CDC. "
From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus. Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated."

Just so we are in the same page 575,000 < 2,500,000. Also, let's not forget that's a full year worth of data. We are ~8 months into COVID-19 and as of the time of this post we have 458,851 confirmed deaths.

RE: "Where are the majority of cases? New York" - Technically correct, but the sunbelt has had increased positive tests for over a week and with social distancing being pulled the numbers will grow. Remember, we are ~8 months in and are still in the first wave. Some places haven't been hit YET.

RE: "I went out to Wisconsin sunday, it blew my mind" - Didn't take much. Congrats?

RE: "I dont care if they dont play, its all greed, but come up with some different excuse for shutting the country down. Cant go to work but can go out in groups to protest, but who exactly is to blame when the governments allow them to gather and protest? The same ones scaring the law abiding citizens to horde toilet paper and stay home."

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Dont know what all that novel was about, it was nice and neatly organized though. Preventable, sure, go to work, go home, stay away from sick people. We seriously need to explain common sense to people.

You cannot just sit home with your mask on blaming people for going out and getting the virus. If you want to wait to get chipped with a vaccine, good for you, it will be 16 months.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Dont know what all that novel was about, it was nice and neatly organized though. Preventable, sure, go to work, go home, stay away from sick people. We seriously need to explain common sense to people.

You cannot just sit home with your mask on blaming people for going out and getting the virus. If you want to wait to get chipped with a vaccine, good for you, it will be 16 months.
I'm actually of the mindset that a effective, mass distributed vaccine will never happen. COVID-19 is a coronavirus. There has never been a vaccine created for a coronavirus. It often mutates and spreads too quickly. I understand the technology is the best it's ever been and we have more companies working on it, but it's still never happened before.

My largest concern pertains to the hospitals. What I find strange in the US is the medical industry has been one of the hardest hit in terms of COVID-19 job loss, but that's because of all the elective surgeries that can't be done. This is happening the same time there is a massive shortage of doctors and nurses in the emergency room. It's just the reality of a tiered medical system where boob jobs are far more profitable for the medical provider than resuscitating someone is.

Anyway, to my point: if COVID-19 infection rate rises and hospitals get pushed past their capacity not only will more people die of COVID-19, but a lot of people that would have been saved at hospital will die. Think of all the heart attack/stroke patients or even stab/gunshot victims. the mortality rates for all hospital visits will drastically rise. You can take that 7700 deaths/month number you earlier noted and probably double or triple it. Not all the deaths will be form COVID-19, but rather the medical system not being able to save people it normally would. That is exactly what happened in Italy, what's happening in Brazil and partially what happened in New York. COVID-19 won't be the direct cause of all the death, but it will be the reason those other hospital visits turned fatal.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
WELL IF WE GOT RID OF FLORIDA WE COULD GET RID OF EVIL TRASH EATING MYSTICAL BLACK BEARS THAT SUPPOSEDLY LIKE TO LIVE IN 100⁰ HEAT WITH 100% HUMIDITY

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Players likely to reject 60 game proposal at full prorated salaries.