mlb draft

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs take Cade Horton at #7. Interesting pick because its likely an underslot signing but he's also one of the best if not the best college pitcher. Sets them up to do something interesting in round 2

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
By most accounts he's a late bloomer with some filthy stuff. Needs to develop a change up and improve against lefties. Let's hope he succeeds as a starter and not a bullpen pitcher.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Good prospect. Definitely should be able to get him under slot to try to get some HS talent that would normally not sign.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I really like what the cubs did with their two picks. They essentially got two top 25ish picks at a position they are pretty bare on in terms of pitching. From my pov it basically came down to choosing either Collier/Lee essentially at slot value or doing what they did. Collier and Lee may be very goo 3B prospects but with Nico looking like an All-Star at SS and numerous young SS prospects the cubs likely have the depth to move someone over to 3B. From what I've read, the view on Horton is essentially dependent on how much weight you put into his college WS pitching because he dominated there. I think he's likely better than Wicks if he meets his potential and I think Wicks can probably be a good #3 starter. I'd be hesitant to project Horton as a #1 but seems like he's more than a run of the mill #3. As for Ferris, always going to be difficult to talk about high school pitchers. But he's got a good frame and he's a lefty. Those are difficult to find.

I'm really curious to see what the cubs eventually get in trades as well because if they pull 1 or 2 decent starters their farm system looks way more interesting to me.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I like the approach and how they used their slot money. Horton has a short track record of real success, but he was injured, played 3B instead of pitching full time, and developed his slider late. Once he added that he was near dominant.

Hopefully they can sign the HS lefty because he seems very intriguing. Good physical tools but with mechanical concerns to work out.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I actually can’t complain with Horton. I wanted a power arm and he hits 94-96 and has gone as high as 98 since coming back. Hes got a slider with some life and I think needs a solid change.

Really like the pick and agree with OP it’s an underslot, given his 2022 brief season where he kicked off rust looking like target practice till the college playoffs where he was excellent.

Let’s hope he doesn’t disappear in the minors like Ryan Jensen.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Can someone explain underslot to me

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Can someone explain underslot to me
MLB draft is pretty complicated. The shortest I can make this is every team has a pool of money they are allowed to spend on players. That is determined by the number of draft picks they have and you are allowed to exceed that by 5% before you start getting penalties which result in draft pick loss. MLB also doesn't have draft pick trading like other sports so it causes the draft to be a bit weird. And going underslot on a player is kind of like trading down in other sports. The idea is you are essentially drafting a guy well ahed of where he'd normally go in order to pay him less signing bonus and then using that money you save along with the money from other picks to pay a different player more than you would normally have to spend on a lower pick.

So for example, Texas this year drafted Kumar Rocker #3 overall and saved roughly $2 mil vs what the slot normally would be with his signing bonus. Rocker was viewed by most as like a 20-30ish ranked prospect in the draft. They then drafted a high school pitcher who most viewed as a top 15 guy in the 4th round and used the money saved to over pay vs his slot. So instead of getting the "3rd best player in the draft" and a meh 4th round pick they got like a top 15 guy and a top 25 guy.

The idea is basically any player who isn't a college senior will have a set bonus demand and if you don't meet that they will go back/go to college. Typically high school players are the ones you're talking about here but occasionally college players will turn down offers and go back. College seniors have no leverage so you'll often see them taken in like rounds 5-10 and given like $2k bonus when the value of their slot is $100-300k and then teams use that difference to pay high school guys more in earlier rounds. as well.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
MLB draft is pretty complicated. The shortest I can make this is every team has a pool of money they are allowed to spend on players. That is determined by the number of draft picks they have and you are allowed to exceed that by 5% before you start getting penalties which result in draft pick loss. MLB also doesn't have draft pick trading like other sports so it causes the draft to be a bit weird. And going underslot on a player is kind of like trading down in other sports. The idea is you are essentially drafting a guy well ahed of where he'd normally go in order to pay him less signing bonus and then using that money you save along with the money from other picks to pay a different player more than you would normally have to spend on a lower pick.

So for example, Texas this year drafted Kumar Rocker #3 overall and saved roughly $2 mil vs what the slot normally would be with his signing bonus. Rocker was viewed by most as like a 20-30ish ranked prospect in the draft. They then drafted a high school pitcher who most viewed as a top 15 guy in the 4th round and used the money saved to over pay vs his slot. So instead of getting the "3rd best player in the draft" and a meh 4th round pick they got like a top 15 guy and a top 25 guy.

The idea is basically any player who isn't a college senior will have a set bonus demand and if you don't meet that they will go back/go to college. Typically high school players are the ones you're talking about here but occasionally college players will turn down offers and go back. College seniors have no leverage so you'll often see them taken in like rounds 5-10 and given like $2k bonus when the value of their slot is $100-300k and then teams use that difference to pay high school guys more in earlier rounds. as well.
Got it. Thanks sir

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs signed Mule for a mil flat. For reverence, that's roughly the value of the 68th pick in the draft. Horton got like #13 pick value. Cubs have like $3 mil left to sign Ferris which would be roughly #23 pick value. So, with those values the cubs likely view those 3 players all as top 70 players. Paciolla got $900k which is like 73rd pick value. Could make a case for cubs pulling 4 players they view as top 70 in the draft.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cubs signed ferris for slightly over 3 million
What did you do to get that moron DaBears70 climbing up your ass with negs? I mean you got like 9,000 Likes.....his dislike war might start making a dent in maybe 15 or 20 years. LOL

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What did you do to get that moron DaBears70 climbing up your ass with negs? I mean you got like 9,000 Likes.....his dislike war might start making a dent in maybe 15 or 20 years. LOL
A dislike from him is the same as a like from sane people.