OT Bobbie Massie 7.5 million [June 1]
TE Jimmy Graham 8.5 million [June 1]
CB Buster Skrine 3 million
WR Javon Wims 1 million
LB Joel Iggy 1 million

Cap Room: 37 million

Re-Signed [34 million spent]

Allen Robinson 18 million [Franchise Tag] [18]

They clearly are a long way apart on a deal, but the Bears need to keep him. The cap hit on this deal is brutal for the Bears books, but what can you do this should have been done last season.

Mario Edwards 2 years 8 million/3.5 guaranteed [2]

Edwards has been a nice scrap heap signing and his pass rush has been better than Robert Quinn's to this point. The Bears should try and keep him around and continue to use him in the rotation.

Brent Urban 2 years 7 million/3 guaranteed [2]

He has been a revelation on the DL and should be re-signed in the RRG primary backup role. Mario has added to the pass rush, but Urban has added a ton to the run defense.

Bark Mingo 2 year 4 million/2 guaranteed [1.5]

Another player that has found a nice role on the team on specials and against the run. He should be extended on a quality back up deal.

Tashaun Gipson 1 year 2.5 million/2.5 guaranteed [2.5]

I am not sure he takes this deal, but this is my budget for SS if he wants to stick around. At 32 he may not want to bounce around to a new team and a new system.

OT/OG Germain Ifedi 1 year 2 million/1 guaranteed [2]

He has been versatile and solid and should be brought back to compete as a RG or RT.

1 Year 1.5 million [6 million]

S Deon Bush
S DHC
P Pat O'Donnell
K Cairo Santos

Top 51 Return: 6 million
Cap Room: 9 million

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Free Agency [3 million]

LB Josh Thomas [Dallas] 1 year 2 million/500k guaranteed

The Bears need a backup LB, Woods and Iggy are special teamers and with Trevathan declining they need someone who can step in and make at least cover. Thomas is a little undersized, but he can run and cover and would provide the speed that Trevathan is losing at a rapid pace.

CEY1908241229_HOU_at_DAL_38293071.jpg

WR John Ross [Cincinnati] 1 year 1 million/250k guaranteed [1]

He is a bust, but he is fast as hell and the Bears need some speed and some downfield ability.

https%3A%2F%2Fchowderandchampions.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F07%2F1216416789-850x560.jpeg

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Draft

1[20] OT Teven Jenkins [Oklahoma St] 6'6" 320lbs.

The Bears cannot push into the 1st round QB market. They are too far back and do not have the resources of other teams. Instead they build out the OL that has failed them as much as the QB spot. RT is a major issue. Massie should be cut, and Ifedi is a fringe starter. Jenkins is a big, physical mauler, who has started at LT and RT, but he should be a day 1 starter at RT and someone who you can set your run game behind. He can be too aggressive at times, but he has the heaviest hands in the draft and comes with a physical edge that the Bears need.

ghows-KS-200829735-b58ad793.jpg

2[52] TE Brevin Jordon [Miami] 6'3" 245lbs.

The draft is light on day 2 QBs and the Bears can add a dynamic U TE, which they value in the offense. Jordan can be the U TE and function as the WR3. He has WR athletic tools and run after the catch and TE size. He is the ideal U in this system as he has Trey Burton + athletic tools, but isn't soft and can be asked to block more. Nagy is obsessed with the U TE and they have poured so many resources into the spot, they need a young and cheap option that adds another weapon to the offense.

JJT4HP7PTNBCFJHGLDFVX2WNVA.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 3[84] and a conditional 4[2022] to the Jacksonville Jaguars for QB Gardner Minshew and a 5th round pick.

gettyimages-1282397470-594x594-1.jpg

5. OT Myron Cunningham [Arkansas] 6'7" 325lbs.

One thing I am hoping that Ryan Pace has learned is that you cannot have a mediocre QB playing behind a mediocre OL and that is what the Bears have. Charles Leno is a mediocre LT and he needs to be fighting for his job. Cunningham is a huge athlete and a raw prospect. He bounced around in college, but landed with Sam Pittman, an OL expert, and he really started to develop. He has NFL LT skills and is far more worthy of time and development than Jason Spriggs.

AP20313843076937_r600x400.jpg

5. QB Ian Book [Notre Dame] 6' 210lbs.

The Bears will draft a QB just for optics sake. Book has some tools to work with. He lacks ideal size, but he has a solid arm and athletic tools. He has played in big games and has played well. He would give the Bears another option to turn to in the worst case scenario and that is what the Bears need. Do I think Book will become an NFL starter, no I do not, but I think he can become a back up and sport start like Trace McSorley and provide a value at that spot while not making a ton of money.

dm_191109_NCF_Notre_Dame_Book_sot.jpg

6. CB Chris Wilcox [BYU] 6'2" 195lbs.

The Bears should add some CB depth and development. They are going to go young at the position as the cap room is not there for more of a move. The Bears need to have a bunch of guys developing and have a bunch of options to go to. Wilcox has the size to play on the outside.

HyOsVS4w.jpg

6. DE Bobby Brown [Mississippi St] 6'4" 315lbs.

Akiem Hicks is unlikely to be here for a lot longer and the Bears need to continue to develop cheap rotational options. Nichols will also need to be extended and the Bears need to be ready to go cheaper in other spots to accommodate that.

https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2020%2F10%2F1092534772-850x560.jpeg

6. RB Elijah Mitchell [Louisiana] 5'11" 222lbs.

The Bears need a backup RB not named Ryan Nall who can handle some of the heavy lifting and keep Montgomery fresh. Mitchell has the size and power to take over that role and he can even catch a little as well.

3509e036-8752-4901-be1a-975a2bf88705-AP20263769035986.jpg

7. WR Trevon Grimes [Florida] 6'4" 217lbs.

The Bears need to address Javon Wims spot and Grimes has a similar physical profile and should be able to provide size and a special teams presence. Grimes will also provide another big body in the redzone in case Robinson gets injured or they want more size on the field.

AP19286039458138-660x330.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Depth Chart

QB: Minshew, Foles, Book
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Mitchell, Pierce
WR: Robinson, Mooney, Miller, Ridley, Ross, Grimes
TE: Kmet, Jordan, Holtz, Horsted
LT: Leno, Cunningham
LG: Whitehair, Hambright
C: Mustipher
RG: Daniels, Bars
RT: Jenkins, Ifedi

RE: Nichols, Edwards
NT: Goldman, Brown
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Quinn, Gipson, Mingo
ILB: Smith, Woods, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Thomas
OLB: Mack, Vaughters
CB: Fuller, Johnson, Vildor, Shelley, McManis, Wilcox
FS: Jackson, Lucas, DHC
SS: Gipson, Bush

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1[1] Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Trevor Lawrence [Clemson]
1[2] NY Jets: QB Zach Wilson [BYU]
1[3] Miami Dolphins: WR Jamar Chase [LSU]
1[4] Atlanta Falcons: QB Justin Fields [Ohio St]
1[5] Cincinnati Bengals: OT Penei Sewell [Oregon]
1[6] Philadelphia Eagles: WR Jaylen Waddle [Alabama]
1[7] Detroit Lions: WR Devonta Smith [Alabama]
1[8] Carolina Panthers: QB Mac Jones [Alabama]
1[9] Denver Broncos: CB Caleb Farley [Virginia Tech]
1[10] Dallas Cowboys: CB Patrick Surtain [Alabama]
1[11] New York Giants: TE Kyle Pitts [Florida]
1[12] San Francisco 49ers: QB Trey Lance [NDSU]
1[13] Los Angeles Chargers: OT Rashawn Slater [Northwestern]
1[14] Minnesota Vikings: DE Kwity Paye [Michigan]
1[15] New England Patriots: LB Micah Parsons [Penn St]
1[16] Arizona Cardinals: CB Jaycee Horn [South Carolina]
1[17] Las Vegas Raiders: LB Zaven Collins [Tulsa]
1[18] Miami Dolphins: OT Christian Darrisaw [Virginia Tech]
1[19] Washington Football Team: WR Kadarius Toney [Florida]

Luke

Liked Posts:
Minshew might be the best vet QB that Pace can get.
Not really sure what it will cost to get him, I would expect more than 1 team would be looking at him.
Jags have no incentive to give him away.
I do know that Pace will pay to get his guy though, your offer might fall short of what Pace will end up paying.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Minshew is worth more than a 3rd and a 4th by the way. He's got two more years on his rookie deal so he's cheap. He has starter experience in league DESPERATE for starting QB's. He's had a passer rating over 90 both years. 37 TD's to 11 INT's. Some team will give up a second for him. I know people will think that's crazy but that's just where the NFL is now. QB's hold insane value.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It really would be hilarious to have both Minshew & Foles. Out of all the teams we could have emulated, it ends up being the 2019 Jags.

It's the main reason I doubt it'd ever happen. The optics would look terrible for Pace. And he already looks like dogshit when it comes to QB's as is.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Cap Commitments: 191 million

Cap: 185million
Cap Room: - 5 million

Not Re-Signed

QB Mitch Trubisky
WR Cordarelle Patterson
DE Roy Robertson-Harris

Restructure and Extensions [21 million]

Roquan Smith 5th year option picked up.

CB Kyle Fuller [5] *14 million saved

Old Money: 1 years 19 million
New Money: 3 years 48 million/38 guaranteed
Total Deal: 4 years 67 million/38 guaranteed

Cap Room: 16 million

Released [21 million]

OT Bobbie Massie 7.5 million [June 1]
TE Jimmy Graham 8.5 million [June 1]
CB Buster Skrine 3 million
WR Javon Wims 1 million
LB Joel Iggy 1 million

Cap Room: 37 million

Re-Signed [34 million spent]

Allen Robinson 18 million [Franchise Tag] [18]

They clearly are a long way apart on a deal, but the Bears need to keep him. The cap hit on this deal is brutal for the Bears books, but what can you do this should have been done last season.

Mario Edwards 2 years 8 million/3.5 guaranteed [2]

Edwards has been a nice scrap heap signing and his pass rush has been better than Robert Quinn's to this point. The Bears should try and keep him around and continue to use him in the rotation.

Brent Urban 2 years 7 million/3 guaranteed [2]

He has been a revelation on the DL and should be re-signed in the RRG primary backup role. Mario has added to the pass rush, but Urban has added a ton to the run defense.

Bark Mingo 2 year 4 million/2 guaranteed [1.5]

Another player that has found a nice role on the team on specials and against the run. He should be extended on a quality back up deal.

Tashaun Gipson 1 year 2.5 million/2.5 guaranteed [2.5]

I am not sure he takes this deal, but this is my budget for SS if he wants to stick around. At 32 he may not want to bounce around to a new team and a new system.

OT/OG Germain Ifedi 1 year 2 million/1 guaranteed [2]

He has been versatile and solid and should be brought back to compete as a RG or RT.

1 Year 1.5 million [6 million]

S Deon Bush
S DHC
P Pat O'Donnell
K Cairo Santos

Top 51 Return: 6 million
Cap Room: 9 million

I mostly like your analysis, and I understand your position on Robinson....However, I don't know if we need to tag a guy who has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be here, especially with a brutal salary cap hit. It's like taking a hostage and paying the ransom at the same time.

Perhaps the Bears could use that money to find a receiver who does want to be here....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I mostly like your analysis, and I understand your position on Robinson....However, I don't know if we need to tag a guy who has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be here, especially with a brutal salary cap hit. It's like taking a hostage and paying the ransom at the same time.

Perhaps the Bears could use that money to find a receiver who does want to be here....

He is the best WR on the market and the one of the best free agents.

When your offense sucks you do not let the only elite talent you have leave.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
He is the best WR on the market and the one of the best free agents.

When your offense sucks you do not let the only elite talent you have leave.

I get that point.

However, if his heart isn't in it, and you keep him against his will and give him a big pile of money besides, what makes you think that will work out well for the team?