Mock Offseason: FA signings and a trade

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Unless you draft somebody, the receiver position is meh this offseason. Unless a Tyreek Hill or AJ Brown trade request comes out of nowhere like it did last offseason, the draft is your best bet.
I agree. The issue is that there really doesn’t seem to be a Jamar Chase-level prospect in this draft. Ironically, the only size, speed, YAC, and route combo is a RB: Bijan Robinson!

- Maybe JSN has better hands, more separation, and a better tree. Okay, where is this season’s production to show it?

- Jordan Addison is a speed guy. He is going to be a lot smaller than people think, maybe Wandale size small. He isn’t as good as Wandale Robinson, who by the way is hurt about 3 Games for every one he plays. I think he’s out for the year right now.

In this draft, I don’t like the WR value outside of the 3rd. There was some debate about the kid from LSU with the age old production vs potential, but he went back, so he’s not even part of the conversation.

So, I’m very happy Poles had the foresight to grab Claypool. I’d like to see him bring in a high end vet. This has to be the year we start getting Fields weapons.

It’s ironic that the biggest criticism going into the season was the lack of weapons Fields was given. I start pointing out ways to get some arms deals going on, and people are demanding we go defense in the draft! The group think mantra of positional value is obscuring that it is about Jimmys and Joes, not X’s and O’s.

Poles need to prioritize getting Fields weapons. His practice so far is repeated attempts at positions of need, illustrated by him drafting 4 OL last year.

I think the reality of what actually exists is going to get people to see why I’m going in the direction I have been.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
You may be right, but, without having to give up draft capital and for a pure salary dump, I’m not sure who else comes close.

I see no real reason to keep Herbert. What he does well is a dime a dozen. What he doesn’t do well causes a tell for the opposing DC. He will never be a starter due to his failings. The O loses dimensionality when he’s in.

His value is at his highest right now. I’d trade him for a late round draft pick or a salary dump like Keenan Allen.
I like that word "dimensionality", but is it a real word?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I agree. The issue is that there really doesn’t seem to be a Jamar Chase-level prospect in this draft. Ironically, the only size, speed, YAC, and route combo is a RB: Bijan Robinson!

- Maybe JSN has better hands, more separation, and a better tree. Okay, where is this season’s production to show it?

- Jordan Addison is a speed guy. He is going to be a lot smaller than people think, maybe Wandale size small. He isn’t as good as Wandale Robinson, who by the way is hurt about 3 Games for every one he plays. I think he’s out for the year right now.

In this draft, I don’t like the WR value outside of the 3rd. There was some debate about the kid from LSU with the age old production vs potential, but he went back, so he’s not even part of the conversation.

So, I’m very happy Poles had the foresight to grab Claypool. I’d like to see him bring in a high end vet. This has to be the year we start getting Fields weapons.

It’s ironic that the biggest criticism going into the season was the lack of weapons Fields was given. I start pointing out ways to get some arms deals going on, and people are demanding we go defense in the draft! The group think mantra of positional value is obscuring that it is about Jimmys and Joes, not X’s and O’s.

Poles need to prioritize getting Fields weapons. His practice so far is repeated attempts at positions of need, illustrated by him drafting 4 OL last year.

I think the reality of what actually exists is going to get people to see why I’m going in the direction I have been.
The Bijan angle is interesting, I had not thought of the Deebo comparison, JSN can't be guarded when healthy, Addison size concerns me and Claypool is going to be a steal when looking at the market ahead, Poles was smart in getting him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

People want weapons for Justin Fields meaning wide receivers or tight ends. And they want protection for Justin Fields in the way of top office of lineman.

You are suggesting they draft a running back and pretend he’s a wide receiver simply because you don’t like the wide receivers in the draft. While I agree that there is no Ja’Marr Chase in the draft since that’s very rare, I don’t see how drafting a running back when we’ve got a good running game is the answer.

Robinson is a very nice offensive prospect and he will be a good player in the NFL. And if the Bears draft them they should be beaten with a stick.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I like that word "dimensionality", but is it a real word?
Yes.

In Math, it means it has multiple coordinates and lines radiating on several planes.

Dimensionality adj.

the quality of having many different featuresor qualities, especially in a way that makes something seem real, rather than being too simple:
I don't consider age or nationality when choosing a part: it's more about the dimensionality of the character.
He uses reportage, journal entries, and personal letters to give dimensionality to his subject.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
People want weapons for Justin Fields meaning wide receivers or tight ends.

You mean a guy who catches the ball, create YAC, and be a safe check down? Okay. Just checking. Bijan’s sick at this.
And they want protection for Justin Fields in the way of top office of lineman.
They’re not in this draft. It’s not a good draft for OL. Everything is all upside. I really don’t see a blue chip 1st rounder — maybe the kid from Ohio state. Maybe. I don’t want to maybe a first round draft pick.
You are suggesting they draft a running back and pretend he’s a wide receiver simply because you don’t like the wide receivers in the draft. While I agree that there is no Ja’Marr Chase in the draft since that’s very rare, I don’t see how drafting a running back when we’ve got a good running game is the answer.
We have maybe an okay running game. We have Fields who transcends scheme. Without him, I doubt we average 60-80 yards a game.

I wouldn’t pretend he’s a WR. I’d use him much like Shannahan uses CMC, in the wing with a back to threaten the D.
Robinson is a very nice offensive prospect and he will be a good player in the NFL. And if the Bears draft them they should be beaten with a stick.
He would be a pro bowl player for years, exactly what I want from a 1st round pick.

Last edited: