Mock Offseason Scenario - WCG

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Its not bad if you want to blow it all up. Not a Carmichael fan. Otherwise its ok. Sucks losin Hicks
, but...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why do I feel that if we tag Robinson were stuck with him at over 16m a year. If he gets tagged, it won't be for trade.
It would be a scenario where we lose Hicks and keep AR at a crazy salary.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He's just putting names out there. Typically when you get a Pres. of Football Operations, GM, head coach, DC....at least a couple of the guys are linked somehow, especially at the HC/DC relationship. But he's taking a guy from the Texans, with a guy from the Chiefs, with a guy from the Saints, with a guy from the Cardinals.

The tallest WR on the team is 5'11". And I hope they don't pay 6Mil for Willie Snead's 30 catches because he was good under the HC back in 2017

Replaces Fuller with William Jackson III who is getting paid 8M per year. Not only do you get worse at CB (Jackson is solid though), but you only get 6 months younger. Fuller can be extended w/ a similar deal as Darius Slay and have an even lower cap hit in 2021 (Slay's is 4.3M and 50M over 3 years). But you can also get his cap around 8M and lessen the blow down the line.

Hooker and Jackson are a terrible combination if you ever want to tackle anyone in the secondary.

I do like the first 4 draft picks though.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's just putting names out there. Typically when you get a Pres. of Football Operations, GM, head coach, DC....at least a couple of the guys are linked somehow, especially at the HC/DC relationship. But he's taking a guy from the Texans, with a guy from the Chiefs, with a guy from the Saints, with a guy from the Cardinals.

Kubiak, Wade Phillips DC and while not tied to either, Jim Caldwell as OC

Luke

Liked Posts:
This is basically just another Windy mock w/o the pictures.
Teddy isn't going anywhere and they won't add another level within the organizational hierarchy.
With that said, I like Smith to run the show as he has done this before with some success. There won't be a learning curve
as the typical Bears GM new hires have all had in the past.
The HC and coordinator's are anyone's guess.
I do think a new GM has to consider trading Hicks and/or Fuller as he will probably want to generate more cap space
and acquire more picks as he retools to build this team more through the draft, something which Pace never really accomplished.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Not sure about the organizational hires but stripping down the defense for draft picks to move up for a potential franchise QB and fixing the offensive line is what has to be done this offseason

Personally I'd tag and keep Robinson for one more year because you aren't going to find him a #1 WR out of the gate (which you have to give this QB from day 1 so he has a chance to actually develop)

It's gonna be painful because I love watching these guys play. But its 2020 and you only win a with a franchise QB and a strong offense

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

The tallest WR on the team is 5'11". And I hope they don't pay 6Mil for Willie Snead's 30 catches because he was good under the HC back in 2017

Replaces Fuller with William Jackson III who is getting paid 8M per year. Not only do you get worse at CB (Jackson is solid though), but you only get 6 months younger. Fuller can be extended w/ a similar deal as Darius Slay and have an even lower cap hit in 2021 (Slay's is 4.3M and 50M over 3 years). But you can also get his cap around 8M and lessen the blow down the line.

Hooker and Jackson are a terrible combination if you ever want to tackle anyone in the secondary.

That mock offseason was not good, but I would be thrilled to get the Purdue WR. That kid is a playmaker. Hed finally give us some explosiveness and YAC. With him and Mooney, we'd really just need a solid possession receiver to line up outside with them.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Not sure about the organizational hires but stripping down the defense for draft picks to move up for a potential franchise QB and fixing the offensive line is what has to be done this offseason

Personally I'd tag and keep Robinson for one more year because you aren't going to find him a #1 WR out of the gate (which you have to give this QB from day 1 so he has a chance to actually develop)

It's gonna be painful because I love watching these guys play. But its 2020 and you only win a with a franchise QB and a strong offense

Hate the idea of doing that.

I'd rather do the following:
Extend Trubisky for 2 years, $15 million - He had a good offensive supporting cast - minus a kicker - and was at a Pro Bowlish level then.
Tag Allen Robinson
Extend Graham for another year for about $7 million.
Lock in Santos for 5 years, $20 million
Cut Trevethan, Vaughters, and Nichols
Extend Roy Robertson-Harris for 3 years, $18 million

Do a lot of the work in the draft - and trade down for capital. After a series of trades, including:
Trade 1st to AZ for 1st (20) and 2nd (20)
Trade AZ 1st to CLE for 1st (24) and 2nd (24)
Trade own 2nd to TB for 2nd (20) and 3rd (20)
Trade AZ 2nd to TB for 2nd (28), 3rd (28), and 5th (17)
Trade CLE 2nd to PIT for 2nd (32), 3rd (31)

Here's what I did:

Round 1 Pick 24 (CLE): Walker Little, OT, Stanford - Moves Leno to RT for short term
Round 2 Pick 23 (IND): Nick Bolton, ILB/OLB, Missouri - Takes over for Trevethan
Round 2 Pick 28 (BUF): Jackson Carman, OG/OT, Clemson - New RG, people
Round 2 Pick 32 (PITT): Chuba Hubbard, RB, Oklahoma State - Feature back
Round 3 Pick 13: Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida - Youth behind Hicks/Goldman
Round 3 Pick 22 (IND): Tamorrion Terry, WR, Florida State - Replacement for A-Rob
Round 3 Pick 27 (BUF): Cade Mays, OG/OT, Tennessee - Eventual RT
Round 3 Pick 31 (PITT): Rodarius Williams, CB, Oklahoma State - Eventual replacement for Fuller
Round 4 Pick 3 (CINN): Brock Purdy, QB, Iowa State - Third B to start... maybe develops into starter or backup
Round 4 Pick 17 (L.V.): Damone Clark, ILB/OLB, LSU - Another ILB depth move
Round 5 Pick 13: Dante Stills, DT, West Virginia - Replacement for Nichols or Urban
Round 5 Pick 17 (BUF): Matt Bushman, TE, BYU - Graham's eventual replacement
Round 6 Pick 3 (CINN): Divine Deablo, FS/SS, Virginia Tech - I'm thinking a developmental SS at 229 pounds.
Round 6 Pick 13: Darius Stills, DT, West Virginia - Another replacement for Nichols/Urban
Round 7 Pick 10: Richie Grant, FS/SS, UCF - Down the line? Replacement for McManus on special teams

I've upgraded the O-Line, got a replacement for Trevethan, added a feature back, have my eventual A-Rob replacement (Terry is a big target), have an eventual replacement for Fuller, a QB, and some youth at TE, D-Line, and S.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Yeah i agree with a lot of this. Like you said he's just throwing names out there with the POFO, GM, HC, OC but don't really like any of the choices he made and think we can do better with each one.

I'm a huge hell no on W.Snead but i'd be good with that ARob trade and some of the other trades as well. Would rather keep Fuller and trade E.Jackson though. Giving up our 3rd in 2021 and 2022 isn't bad to get up to #7 for Wilson but holy shit he would have to be the one Bears fans have been waiting a long time for. I'm a huge fan of his but i also realize that it doesn't matter how a QB looks in college cause taking that leap to the NFL can be too big for the best of the best coming out of the draft.

If we're getting Z.Wilson then we need to get him another ARob type of WR that you can just put the ball around him and he'll go and get it whether it's going up over the defender or diving or whatever it takes. I'm good with Mooney and Miller although i'd rather bring in a better slot receiver like a J.Crowder type.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Yeah i agree with a lot of this. Like you said he's just throwing names out there with the POFO, GM, HC, OC but don't really like any of the choices he made and think we can do better with each one.

I'm a huge hell no on W.Snead but i'd be good with that ARob trade and some of the other trades as well. Would rather keep Fuller and trade E.Jackson though. Giving up our 3rd in 2021 and 2022 isn't bad to get up to #7 for Wilson but holy shit he would have to be the one Bears fans have been waiting a long time for. I'm a huge fan of his but i also realize that it doesn't matter how a QB looks in college cause taking that leap to the NFL can be too big for the best of the best coming out of the draft.

If we're getting Z.Wilson then we need to get him another ARob type of WR that you can just put the ball around him and he'll go and get it whether it's going up over the defender or diving or whatever it takes. I'm good with Mooney and Miller although i'd rather bring in a better slot receiver like a J.Crowder type.

To be honest, whoever you pick for GM will likely decide who the HC is, and the HC picks the coordinators.

As for Wilson... as much as I like him, there's no way trading up is a good move. It'll be 2017 all over again.

Slow start with the veteran (Glennon then, Foles now), rookie tossed in way too early (Trubisky then, Wilson now), and in 2025, we'll be looking for the next franchise QB.

We need to break the cycle, and doing that means getting the supporting cast in position.

Trading down, not up, could get the pieces to get things back on track. Kind of a re-tooling as opposed to a total fire sale/rebuild.

Walker Little as the new LT, Nick Bolton replacing Trevethan at ILB, the 6'5" 345 pound Jackson Carman at RG, and Chuba Hubbard as the feature back is a darn good start, I think. That doesn't count the four third-round picks who should add eventual starters at WR, RT, DT, and CB.

Eight out of 22 starting spots filled in the next year or two in one draft is not bad, and I still grab a developmental QB in the 4th...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one is giving up a 2nd for Allen Robinson when they have to give him a 100 million dollar contract and they know that we cannot afford to keep him on the tag.

The Bears have no leverage.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Hate the idea of doing that.

I'd rather do the following:
Extend Trubisky for 2 years, $15 million - He had a good offensive supporting cast - minus a kicker - and was at a Pro Bowlish level then.
Trubisky wasn't playing anywhere close to a probowl level in 2018. He was one of the worst starting QBs in football.

The offense around him was much better so his bulk numbers were inflated. NFL defenses hadn't already figured him out by then so the limited success he had was a mirage.

Any plan for 2021 that starts with "hey lets resign Trubisky" is somewhere between horrifying and hilarious.