More and More, its seeming like the league knows Nagy's scheme is shit.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's interesting hearing former NFL talking heads on the radio all essentially express concern in their own way.

This week, I've heard on the radio (usually Mully and Haugh, driving into work), no less than Dave Wannestedt, Sage Rosenfels, and Michael Lombardi all say the same thing (each in their own words) about the Matt Nagy scheme when it comes to play action.

All 3 came right out and said that the Bears don't run play action well because they don't disguise it. Lombardi put it the most succinctly - said that the problem with play action for the Bears, is that to run play action well, you need a single formation that you can either run or play action out of, in order to keep the defense guessing.

However, when the Bears run play action, they do it out of a different formation than their runs, which tips off the defense that a play action pass is coming.

Something so simple, yet Nagy is too stupid to get it. Dude is a straight up fraud.
I can almost guarantee that if there is an incomplete pass on 1st down, 2nd down will be a run up the middle for minimal gain. If I can see that, I'm sure the other teams set to play the Bears see it as well..

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This goes all the way back to 2018 when I and other called Nagy for running the same play from different sets instead of different plays from the same sets. D's figure the 1st one out. What's happening now still overcomplicates things. Why change sets when you can adjust things to run different plays from the same look and not give the D a key?

This is similar to when we change personnel to run specific plays and key the D. I was always hoping we'd the same end around twice in a game and then run something else off that set the 3rd time to pull a big play. Nope. Nagy thinks 3rd time's the charm. Fail.

I mean, there is a lot broken with this scheme.

You have former NFL players, coaches and GMs all now saying the Bears don't run play action out of the same formations they run from (regardless of what some internet forum jockeys claim), and don't forget that the Bears also deploy 33 personnel packages, where the league average is between 8-12. You wonder why we've had to call stupid timeouts so many times or why the play call is always coming in late? "Chess master" Nagy is wasting time with packages coming on and off the field, which unnecessarily eats up clock.

Then you have the fact that they rarely attack the field underneath in the soft spot of a defense, and also rarely attack multiple levels of the field at one time, and what you have is a horribly designed offense. And don't even get me started on the overcomplicated blocking assignments at the LOS...

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Play action doesn't work for us because we rarely rush for 100 yards and pass for 200 yards in the same game.
It's been proven that you don't need to have a good running game for play action to work.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's been proven that you don't need to have a good running game for play action to work.

No, but you not only need to show the intent to run, but it has to be believable enough that the defense thinks you are going to run.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
No, but you not only need to show the intent to run, but it has to be believable enough that the defense thinks you are going to run.
Yeah, the Bears under Nagy, until recently, have never really shown the intent. If this is also true that they're essentially tipping their hand by formation, it's just another damning argument against Nagy's "genius." He over-complicates the offense.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
But what about a good passing game? We run well, but aren't scaring anyone going deep over the past 4 years.
Not that you're wrong, but why would that matter for PA?

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's interesting hearing former NFL talking heads on the radio all essentially express concern in their own way.

This week, I've heard on the radio (usually Mully and Haugh, driving into work), no less than Dave Wannestedt, Sage Rosenfels, and Michael Lombardi all say the same thing (each in their own words) about the Matt Nagy scheme when it comes to play action.

All 3 came right out and said that the Bears don't run play action well because they don't disguise it. Lombardi put it the most succinctly - said that the problem with play action for the Bears, is that to run play action well, you need a single formation that you can either run or play action out of, in order to keep the defense guessing.

However, when the Bears run play action, they do it out of a different formation than their runs, which tips off the defense that a play action pass is coming.

Something so simple, yet Nagy is too stupid to get it. Dude is a straight up fraud.
I don't understand how Nagy can totally miss on something like this. Yes, faking the run is part of play action. More importantly the run needs to look exactly like the previous successful run. Nagy could run multiple formations and run out of them. However, if he lines up in a random formation that we never run out of, clearly we aren't really running. He can't be that big of an idiot can he?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't understand how Nagy can totally miss on something like this. Yes, faking the run is part of play action. More importantly the run needs to look exactly like the previous successful run. Nagy could run multiple formations and run out of them. However, if he lines up in a random formation that we never run out of, clearly we aren't really running. He can't be that big of an idiot can he?

Yep. Apparently it is coming out that he IS that big of an idiot...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let me just say that it’s nice to talk ball instead of ‘I was right and everyone else is wrong’ (because I can’t process) bullshit in every fucking thread.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Let me just say that it’s nice to talk ball instead of ‘I was right and everyone else is wrong’ (because I can’t process) bullshit in every fucking thread.

Yep, threads are much better without the trolling and pissing contests.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't tell you how many times this year I've noted basic elements missing from our offense.

Against the Browns, the screen game would have helped to slow down the pass rush. Against the Packers, the lack of slants was so obvious as Adams was gouging us after the catch.

Other teams consistently showcase plays not in Nagy's offensive vocabulary, and it's astounding how blind Nagy is to it. While he's looking for the "whys" the opposition is literally slapping him across the face with the answers he's looking for.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
WE don't discuss scheme

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
This is kind of cognitive dissonance at its finest here. These experts say that you don't need an effective run game to run play action. Yet they now say you need to run play action from a certain formation for it to work.

Yet when I watch the Bears run play action it seems to work quite well, if blocking holds up. All your looking to do with play action is to get someone behind a linebacker and safety. For an example look at the Cole Kmet play action on their last td scoring drive.

KMet got a lot more action this week because of play action plays.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This week, the Bucs (are you guys happy) are top of the League in run defense and bottom of the League in Pass defense. I'm not sure if that is because Brady is so efficient on offense that it forces teams to throw the ball to catch up or if they are really built that way.

This would be the week that the Bears stay with the run game too long, and fail to attack the areas where they have struggled...

I have zero faith in Nagy having a proper game plan or being able to make adjustment, so play action formations, are likely Nagy's tell, but will not be the reason we lose to the Bucs...
Almost all of Bucs secondary is in the hospital, JPP might still be hurt too... but it's the same as the Packers, and Bears offense can barely muster 100 yards passing against scrubs.

jc456

Liked Posts:
This week, the Bucs (are you guys happy) are top of the League in run defense and bottom of the League in Pass defense. I'm not sure if that is because Brady is so efficient on offense that it forces teams to throw the ball to catch up or if they are really built that way.

This would be the week that the Bears stay with the run game too long, and fail to attack the areas where they have struggled...

I have zero faith in Nagy having a proper game plan or being able to make adjustment, so play action formations, are likely Nagy's tell, but will not be the reason we lose to the Bucs...
I think the bears should send their practice videos to the Bucs and say they're better than them at practice, no point in playing,

jc456

Liked Posts:
Yet when I watch the Bears run play action it seems to work quite well, if blocking holds up. All your looking to do with play action is to get someone behind a linebacker and safety. For an example look at the Cole Kmet play action on their last td scoring drive.
yep, and the bears almost never have anyone there. It's why they take sacks.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I can't tell you how many times this year I've noted basic elements missing from our offense.

Against the Browns, the screen game would have helped to slow down the pass rush. Against the Packers, the lack of slants was so obvious as Adams was gouging us after the catch.

Other teams consistently showcase plays not in Nagy's offensive vocabulary, and it's astounding how blind Nagy is to it. While he's looking for the "whys" the opposition is literally slapping him across the face with the answers he's looking for.

Bingo. I mean, we got burned a few times from Rodgers bailing out to Lazzard when he felt the pressure.

Where the fuck was Fields' bail out option? Idiot Nagy and Idiot Lazor were sending all of them 10-15 yards down the field on long-developing routes with no bailout option.

I mean, WTF?

Prepping my "IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR" meme for when Bill Lazor is shown the door...

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

Hes been doing that from the start lol

Monty starts off of on a roll and Nagy subs him to run play action

Nagy doesn't really have a team scheme he has a set of plays he likes to see run with certain players and then calls games around that and thats why it feels so disjointed. Its not 60 plays who anyone at the positions on the field can run at any time its 60 plays with half of them them segmented by players based off who Nagy wants to see running them.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hes been doing that from the start lol

Monty starts off of on a roll and Nagy subs him to run play action

Nagy doesn't really have a team scheme he has a set of plays he likes to see run with certain players and then calls games around that and thats why it feels so disjointed. Its not 60 plays who anyone at the positions on the field can run at any time its 60 plays with half of them them segmented by players based off who Nagy wants to see running them.

Yup - a total bullshit scheme from a play collector, not an real offensive coordinator.

Nagy made one of the age old blunders - he's confused quantity with quality.