More concerned with secondary than Oline.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've seen and read all the concerns and hype with the oline and injuries. In my opinion, I think once the season starts the Oline will be fine. My major concern is the CB position. I think Johnson had a great rookie year, but he's no Fuller. He was a "side piece" that Pace fell in love with and left his wife for. We are banking on our D line bringing pressure to minimize our secondaries lack of a true #1. If we don't get more pressure than last year, we might be getting carved up.
It’s a throw away year, IMO. As long as JF1 continues to get better idgaf about 2021. The defense is going to be in rebuild mode, sooner rather than later.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm worried about the secondary because Eddie Jackson has become a SOFT FUCKING PUSSY!

AND NORMALLY I LOVE SOFT FUCKING PUSSIES, BUT NOT IN MY SECONDARY!

SORRY FOR YELLING

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Hoping Vildor can be a solid coverage guy, I don't think we have many game breaking corners, (or safety's....thanks for the façade Eddie....) but here's to Vildor and Graham stepping up. Not counting on Trufant staying healthy.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
I've seen and read all the concerns and hype with the oline and injuries. In my opinion, I think once the season starts the Oline will be fine. My major concern is the CB position. I think Johnson had a great rookie year, but he's no Fuller. He was a "side piece" that Pace fell in love with and left his wife for. We are banking on our D line bringing pressure to minimize our secondaries lack of a true #1. If we don't get more pressure than last year, we might be getting carved up.

The entire defense is a concern, they were average last year, and maybe average this year if they’re lucky.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that will be an issue, but then again, if your pass rush is strong (which is should be) that can hide a lot of talent gaps in the secondary.

With the OL if it's bad then nothing on offense works. You can only use scheme/smoke and mirrors so long until you can't run or pass to the level of efficiency needed to win games.

I'd add, if the O gets a lot of 3 and outs, then the D gets tired, specifically the DL, then any secondary gets exposed. For you guys the team that worries me the most is the Vikings. Their DL should be good enough to give you problems and with Cook they can wear down your DL. IMHO those should be two wins in the schedule for the Bears. Based on matchups I'm seeing they might have an edge.
Why it should be, there was absolutely no pressure last year. And this is a new, unproven DC.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm worried about the secondary because Eddie Jackson has become a SOFT FUCKING PUSSY!

SORRY FOR YELLING
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Eddie has a bounce back year.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The entire defense is a concern, they were average last year, and maybe average this year if they’re lucky.
I think the Bears defense ranked 8th in DVOA last year, not bad when you consider how bad the offense was.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think by regular season the Oline will be good. Might not be all pro but solid. Our middle three are good as weve had in a long tyme. No doubt we have some questions but the backups at tackle have some NFL experience. Now on yhe other hand, the secondary is thinnnnn!! We don't have one proven # 1 on our team. Kyle Fuller had us spoiled for a long tyme. He is a top 5 CB. Dont see anyone close to his caliber on the team.
I would say you are overvaluing Fuller. I think he had 8 penalties called on him last year leading the defense in penalty yards with 104 which was double the yardage he gave up the year before. With that kind of decline the Bears were right to let him move on.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
I think the Bears defense ranked 8th in DVOA last year, not bad when you consider how bad the offense was.
Don’t know, but they ranked 11 or 12 in total defense. And was a big downgrade for the year before.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Preseason is vanilla play calling. Tomorrow is not huge, it’s just another step getting ready for the regular season

Actually, Nagy said that they are scheming specific plays and concepts, presumably to see Justin react to different scenarios. Definitely not a game plan, and it will probably look a little discombobulated. I think Fields does well enough to extend just enough plays to put together a few drives dispute the play calling and protection.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Turnovers. Only stat that matters

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

SORRY FOR YELLING
It depends. a soft fucking pussy that's really good at receiving balls is extremely desirable.

I also won't dump on Fuller. His release was only about the salary. He had more penalties last year but he also saved some big plays that happened under him from going to the house. He was a stout tackler for a CB.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I'm more concerned with the OL and pass rush than i am the secondary. If the OL can do their jobs and convert on 3rd downs, you defense stays off the field. Then if your pass rush struggles, your secondary gets torn apart regardless.
I am more concerned with Fields and Dalton getting hurt.

The CBs are soft, the Bears might be in a shootout.

If the offensive line is worse than last year, it will be extremely low scoring games with Foles at the helm. It will be hard to be worse than last year though, because most new position players have to only play below average to match last year's results. Fingers crossed, but I think they can even be average.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Actually, Nagy said that they are scheming specific plays and concepts, presumably to see Justin react to different scenarios. Definitely not a game plan, and it will probably look a little discombobulated. I think Fields does well enough to extend just enough plays to put together a few drives dispute the play calling and protection.
He might be scheming plays and concepts but I’m sure it will still be vanilla play calling. I expect Fields to have his struggles, but to also display his athleticism.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Goldman being out is good for at least 3 spots.
Remains to be seen. If that’s the case and if he will even play most of the season.

After two drives today. They have no pressure and no secondary. Already losing.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
Remains to be seen. If that’s the case and if he will even play most of the season.

After two drives today. They have no pressure and no secondary. Already losing.
They’ve gotten plenty of pressure. Just because they haven’t sacked the QB doesn’t mean they’ve gotten no pressure, and the only reception thus far was given up by a linebacker in man coverage. You’re obviously not watching the game.