More doom and gloom: Skilled positions ranked 28th by Bleacher Report

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Which players on the Bears do you think are going to get a BIG boost in production because of Fields?
Mooney, Montgomery and Cohen

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wait.....so you wanna fuck my ass? I like chicks but if dudes are your thing then go for it man, just quit thinking about my ass if you can.
:getout:

#TakesItAnyTime

Sorry I won't quit thinking about your Virgin Ass

Canth

Liked Posts:
Mooney probably, the other two are completely replaceable.

I mean, by that argument, everyone is replaceable. And it's the NFL, so that is going to be true of damn near every team and player.

The Bears have some young guys who need to continue to take a step like Mooney and Kmet as they enter their 2nd year. I have not seen or heard anything to make me think that they cannot do that. Montgomery showed at the end of last year that he can produce. Arob is Arob.

So imo, the Bears have some skill position players that can produce if given the opportunity. I'm not quite sure what the argument here is. The entire point of drafting a guy like Fields is that he should be able to give these guys more opportunities to produce - ie, being able to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage on time and accurately. Therefore, they should be able to move the ball more consistently and actually score points. If the belief is somehow that Fields cannot do that, then what's the point?

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mooney probably, the other two are completely replaceable.
Montgomery is a very good player. He may not be an elite talent but he’s far from replacement level player IMO. He has one elite trait (contact balance/breaking tackles) and no big holes in his game. He’s a very well rounded 3 down back. Maybe we have a disconnect on how to define replaceable. Technically speaking most players, even very good players, are replaceable.

Cohen? His production can be replaced, sure. But he’s a unique player with a unique skill set and because of his receiving skills would probably be the best bet to improve with a good QB. Cohen can give Fields easy completions and make something happen with them. If Fields accuracy is as advertised that will allow for Cohen to be hit in stride and allow him to make plays in space where he is at his best. Or as we’ve seen in the past Cohen can get open deep and Fields hopefully won’t overthrow him.

Mooney is a no brainer for improvement.

I’d also add Kmet in there. TEs usually take a year or two to develop and Nagy didn’t use Kmet as a pass catcher or red zone target much last year and the QBs were obviously awful. So going into his second year I’m expecting a nice bump in production. Also rookie QBs tend to lean on big TEs when they get in trouble. Kmet is a big man and showed he has pretty good hands, he should make a nice outlet/check down/red zone target.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Hall of Fame quarterback is why all of those guys produce lol.. WTF are you talking about I said I would take Jones over Monty.. and Kmet started what, 7 games? You want to talk about 'production' look at snaps vs snaps

So a HOF qb is the only reason why they are producing ?

Snaps vs Snaps

Again more ridiculous assumptions that if you give player A the same amount of Snaps as player B that they will produce the same outcome .

the QB will only help you so much because at a certain point a playmaker is a playmaker .

As was the original gripe they all have talent but while Rodgers was All Pro so was Devante Adams .

In 2018 when we won the division

Rodgers
Jones
MVS

all were on that team so did Rodgers somehow make them produce one year but not the other years or did they themselves improve as players

and what about Jimmy Graham he caught more tds (8) with the Bears last year with apparently no qb than he did in 2 whole seasons with Rodgers (5) his replacement Tonyan caught 11 . Did Rodgers just decide to bless Tonyan but not Graham with the tds ?

Rodgers pushes the Pack higher for sure but the Bears were in the bottom 5 in offense the last two years and you guys are arguing that somehow the QB by himself will propel them to top 5 instantly but the reality is that the Packers offense was at one point middle of the pack even with Rodgers and it wants until they found the right mix of players and some of their players improved themselves that got them into a top 5 offense.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Monty's career ypg is 63.

You guys do this every offseason. It's easy to talk these guys up in June....wait until September. No one will want to say too much. ?

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It honestly is tough to rank skill positions without factoring in the QB. I think the core of Bears pass catchers is better than the Packers but the Packers have the best WR of the bunch and a better RB. But at the same time, that WR gets accurate passes more often than not. That RB gets the benefit of an explosive passing game. There is a lot of synergy. I think if you swapped Bears and Packers QBs over the past 10 years, things look completely different. That's what franchise QBs do.

But as of right now, the Bears offense is more of a potential group than a proven one. I said this not long ago in another thread but every fan base does this. They hype their players because they sat in front of their TV on draft night(s) and they heard the pick. They did the research. They watched all the highlights and read the scouting reports. and then there's the hope. The hope that all of these guys will live up to what they could be or what someone said they might become. Just look at this draft with guys like Herbert and Graham Jr. Guys who experts thought "should have gone in ___ round", so naturally the fanbase thinks they got day 2 guys in day 3. Dazz Newsome...Every fanbase thinks these things.

What we know about the Bears skills position groups.

Monty is fine RB but he's nothing special. He can get the job done. But he plays the most replaceable position in the NFL and he's not one of the elite backs. 4.0 YPC. 63 YPG. But he has that one play that everyone talks about. Cohen has to be one of the most overhyped Bears in recent memory. Dynamic skillset which rarely translates on the field. He is a classic case of a prospect who is small, fast and has good hands so he's automatically the next Darren Sproles. Damien Williams is just a guy who is known for a great championship game.

Robinson is top 10 WR who has never had a good QB. Mooney is really the only legit young player on offense that you can look at and say he showed real flashes and has the potential to be a foundational player on the offense. Reliable route running and hands with great speed. But he's not there yet. You're hoping improved QB play will help him take it to the next level. After him, it's just guys. Every team has them.

Graham is worthless between the 20s but a proven redzone threat. Kmet showed flashes to be a reliable, quality starter at the TE position. But like Mooney, not there yet. I think he can end up being a Health Miller type.

Overall the Bears have had worse but they could do better. But a lot can look different when a franchise QB is thrown into the mix.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rodgers pushes the Pack higher for sure but the Bears were in the bottom 5 in offense the last two years and you guys are arguing that somehow the QB by himself will propel them to top 5 instantly but the reality is that the Packers offense was at one point middle of the pack even with Rodgers and it wants until they found the right mix of players and some of their players improved themselves that got them into a top 5 offense.
Jesus.. lol I said middle of the pack, top 5? A better quarterback 100% certainty makes the entire offense better. It's the top paid and coveted position for a reason. Davante Adams similar numbers to 2018, Rodgers through 25 TDS to 2 INT. The starting receivers on that team were Adams and Cobb.. Jimmy Graham had 89 targets. The Peckers don't count on getting to the 5 yard line to score, like the Bears.. they can score from outside the red zone which is where Graham makes his living. (and with JF1, we don't have to get to the 5 yard line to score anymore) Why am I arguing about the Peckers?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
In this discussion of packers vs. Bears skill players part of the issue is we are looking at MVS, Lazard, and St. Brown who are trash. No better than Miller or Damiere Byrd. But I believe they have Funchess who is actually a good player and Amari Rodgers who should be good. Obviously Adams, The rbs and tonyan are great. It's important to look at the correct players when looking at secondary skill players though. MVS and St. Brown in particular will likely be out of the league in a couple years. Lazard is probably an NFL quality player.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Thread rates 1/10 would not bang

Banging 10, 1s is a 10 in my book. Drink some cement and harden up boi. Be a man.

To the topic... Bears Skilled positions arent #1. Doubt they are 28. Somewhere in the middle of that sounds about right..

Last edited:

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
That sounds about right. Outside of Allen Robinson, the Bears don't have much that scares opposing defenses. Mooney and Kmet have shown promise, but still have a long ways to go before you can feel comfortable about them being a major factor.

Montgomery, as I've always said, is pretty much just a guy. He's not fast enough to scare you, and doesn't have the vision of an elite back to make something out of nothing when the big holes aren't there for him.

My hope is that they can solidify their offensive line this season, and then going into next year, they'll really go heavy on the skill positions to make sure Justin Fields has enough quality weapons around him to win with.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I’m honestly not really sold on Mooney yet. If he plays well again this year then we can talk.

Miller had a better first year than Mooney did and look at him now.

then again, rb is almost a moot position in this league anymore. Fucking weird!

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Green Bay’s offensive line last year was awesome, that allowed a lot of their success but those players on offense are very talented and dangerous.

even Lazard and scantling have crazy speed so with time to throw these guys can produce and score quickly.

we haven’t seen a long td in quite some time.

all of our speed guys are on the small side, Miller, Byrd, Goodwin, robinson and Mooney would have probably had similar success with Rodgers, their oline and offensive coordinator last year.

I just don’t think Nagy gets it, it’s very difficult in this league to sustain long drives—

I think Miller would be completely different player if he had a Rodgers at qb. I’ve seen many games where he was wide open and not even seen not to mention the missed throws when he was and Mooney would have had at least 3-5 60 yard or longer td’s

we should be ranked somewhere between 15-20.

I think if fields is who we think he is and plays this year the whole year, he will break almost all bears records and will be exciting to watch. I just am not liking forward to dalton on offense bc it will be the same as last few years and zero hope of winning any of the first four games.

fields at least is a wild card at minimum and would actually put a little fear in the rams not to mention a huge spark for the bears players on both sides.

and that’s the reason why he needs to start from the beginning of the season! Why wait? Next year the team won’t be much better with all the losses on the defense and their aging, no draft picks, tired of overspending on mediocre free agents, not the recipe for success.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’m honestly not really sold on Mooney yet. If he plays well again this year then we can talk.

What about Millers first year made him better?

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Monty's career ypg is 63.

You guys do this every offseason. It's easy to talk these guys up in June....wait until September. No one will want to say too much. ?
He only started 8 games as a rookie and last year he averaged 71 rushing and 101 combined. Can we use the most recent history or is that not allowed in gloomville?

Last year statistically Monty was tied for 9th in rushing YPG and 9th in receiving YPG amongst RBs and 5th in total yardage amongst ALL skill players.

I’m not saying he’s an elite RB but isn’t exactly a JAG either. His TD production kinda sucks but so did his QB and his OL.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:

Mooney will continue to improve because he has immense talent and isn't a fucking dunce like Miller.