Most Overrated Team according to SI

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
Came across this in my email. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I'm still happy with the signing, he'll be an upgrade and JaFatass is on the bench where belongs.

Offensive Tackles: Jermon Bushrod, Chicago Bears/Breno Giacomini, Seattle Seahawks

The Bears “stole” Bushrod away from the Saints by signing him to a five-year, $35.965 million contract in March to help their historically horrid offensive line, and in that context, Bushrod will be an interstellar upgrade over J’Marcus Webb, who will now switch from left to right tackle. At least, that’s the narrative … but the stats may tell a different story. In truth, Bushrod is an average pass protector who has been made to look better than he is by Drew Brees’ pocket movement, and in 2012, he wasn’t that much better than Webb. He allowed three sacks to Webb’s five, but suffered more blown blocks in the passing game (21.5 to 18.0) and in the run game (7.0 to 2.5). He also allowed more hits and hurries than Webb, and while that’s a component of New Orleans’ high-volume passing game, it’s clear Bushrod will have to play at his very level best to be the savior the Bears are hoping he will be.

http://http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/20/the-audibles-all-overrated-team-the-offense/?xid=nl_siextra

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Can't speak so much of Bushrod, but Giacomini is pretty bad. He's one of those 'high effort' tackles that get beat a lot.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Maybe he is overrated, but he knows how to play this scheme, which is half the battle. Dumb, uninformed article.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Came across this in my email. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I'm still happy with the signing, he'll be an upgrade and JaFatass is on the bench where belongs.

Offensive Tackles: Jermon Bushrod, Chicago Bears/Breno Giacomini, Seattle Seahawks

The Bears “stole” Bushrod away from the Saints by signing him to a five-year, $35.965 million contract in March to help their historically horrid offensive line, and in that context, Bushrod will be an interstellar upgrade over J’Marcus Webb, who will now switch from left to right tackle. At least, that’s the narrative … but the stats may tell a different story. In truth, Bushrod is an average pass protector who has been made to look better than he is by Drew Brees’ pocket movement, and in 2012, he wasn’t that much better than Webb. He allowed three sacks to Webb’s five, but suffered more blown blocks in the passing game (21.5 to 18.0) and in the run game (7.0 to 2.5). He also allowed more hits and hurries than Webb, and while that’s a component of New Orleans’ high-volume passing game, it’s clear Bushrod will have to play at his very level best to be the savior the Bears are hoping he will be.

http://http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/20/the-audibles-all-overrated-team-the-offense/?xid=nl_siextra
Is this a new story from SI? If so someone should tell them to get some new material because free agency was over a month ago and they are still beating the "Bushrod sucks according to PFF" dead horse.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

Damn where have I read this before? I guess it must hold more weight now that a "professional" journalist is writing it. It's odd though I was writing about this fact before the Bears even signed Bushrod. It's funny that it only took the "professional" like six months to write the same damn thing.

It's funny we have already seen the subtle signs of just how easy Bushrod is to overpower, but everyone has been so enamored with the rookies they've ignored the major blown block on the first play of the game that dropped Forte for a loss.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Sorry, I thought this was the "132 lb scrotum" thread. Nevemind

Reactions: WCL

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Damn where have I read this before? I guess it must hold more weight now that a "professional" journalist is writing it. It's odd though I was writing about this fact before the Bears even signed Bushrod. It's funny that it only took the "professional" like six months to write the same damn thing.

It's funny we have already seen the subtle signs of just how easy Bushrod is to overpower, but everyone has been so enamored with the rookies they've ignored the major blown block on the first play of the game that dropped Forte for a loss.

ZOMG blown blockzzz and stuffzzz.

Guess we should promote Webb to LT, eh? :deer:

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
Our last LT was on the all drizzlingshit team. So it is still an upgrade. Especially when you factor in Bushrod's familiarity with Kromer and his blocking scheme. Win.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think anyone expects(ed) a world beater out of Bushrod, but he is a big upgrade over what the Bears had. The only thing that matters is that he was an upgrade over what we had. He demonstrated that he can hold his own despite a large number of pass attempts. Something that Webb couldn't do without help from a TE or WR throughout his career. Even the best LTs blow protections during games.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
ZOMG blown blockzzz and stuffzzz.

Guess we should promote Webb to LT, eh? :deer:

Well if we were going to go by the media's reasoning that the coaches make their decisions based on how well a player plays in preseason game then YES the answer to your question is since Webb played better against inferior competition in the Chargers game then Bushrod should be benched. Bushrod had three major blown blocks in the first two series the Bears had on offense. Forte dropped for a loss on a Bushrod missed block, Cutler nearly has his head taken off and then he misses wildly on a cut block on the screen play to Brandon Marshall.

Lucky for you though you were only watching the things that were going right.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bushrod pass protected for nearly 200 more snaps

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone expects(ed) a world beater out of Bushrod, but he is a big upgrade over what the Bears had. The only thing that matters is that he was an upgrade over what we had. He demonstrated that he can hold his own despite a large number of pass attempts. Something that Webb couldn't do without help from a TE or WR throughout his career. Even the best LTs blow protections during games.

Well here's the first sign of reality sinking in followed by a rip on J'Marcus Webb followed by some subtle backtracking, followed by an immeasurable useless statement about how much TE or chip help Bushrod had I'm sure there will be much more to come.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Based on the pass blocking stats the writer's numbers don't take into account how many more pass plays the Saints ran versus the Bears, WAY MORE!!!

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well if we were going to go by the media's reasoning that the coaches make their decisions based on how well a player plays in preseason game then YES the answer to your question is since Webb played better against inferior competition in the Chargers game then Bushrod should be benched. Bushrod had three major blown blocks in the first two series the Bears had on offense. Forte dropped for a loss on a Bushrod missed block, Cutler nearly has his head taken off and then he misses wildly on a cut block on the screen play to Brandon Marshall.

Lucky for you though you were only watching the things that were going right.

Like I said, the best LTs make mistakes, especially when they are consistently put on islands. Bushrod can slow his man down on his own enough for the QB to escape and make a throw.

The Bushrod fumbling forward block that resulted in the biggest gain of the night for the Bears offense.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well here's the first sign of reality sinking in followed by a rip on J'Marcus Webb followed by some subtle backtracking, followed by an immeasurable useless statement about how much TE or chip help Bushrod had I'm sure there will be much more to come.

So Bear fans expected a world-beater out of Bushrod?

Good to know, this must be another phantom argument with Manti Te'o's girlfriend.

You can piss and moan about the signing all you want, the facts are there for you to interpret.

The Bears made it clear that they weren't satisfied with the direction of the OL, and have 4 new starters and traded away the last remaining first round pick of Angelo's for peanuts. Time will tell if these changes will work, but I'm OK with overpaying for an upgrade at the LT position, something that has been undervalued by the Bears since Tait retired after 08.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Bushrod pass protected for nearly 200 more snaps

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

No actually it was only 135 more snaps in pass protection. Bushrod 45 QB hurries to Webb's 27, Bushrod 8 QB hits to Webb's 5 QB hits. Which is why when PFF calculated the pass protection percentage...Bushrod came in slightly worse than Webb did. Percentage= total number of QB disruptions (sacks, hits and pressures) to total number of snaps in pass protection.