Movie Tropes That Make No Sense In Reality

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Villains revealing their motive in a long dialogue before (not) killing the hero

Elaborate rig ups by villains to kill the hero, when they could just shoot him/her in the head

Cloth gags

Looking overly suspicious when trying to be discreet

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
-when villains have terrible aim but the protagonists have super awesome aim.

Westerns where the hero is walking down the street with a six gun, and the guy on the roof who has a rifle misses his shot ..The hero turns and fires from the hip killing the guy on the roof from 100 ft away.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
1. Hearing a busy signal after someone hangs up
2. People everywhere always having the news on so the plot can move forward
3. Space marines wearing camouflage

What are yours
Holy shit am I thinking of a few movies like that. Good call.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not a trope per se, but it seems insanely common for people to turn their car off and get out and leave the lights on... no reason, no lighting issues for the shot, they just get out and walk away with the lights on.
It isnt even courtesy lights on newer cars I am talking about- it seemed everyone did this in the 80s and 90s.

Another vehicular related bitch I have is the revving engine when a car is chasing people on foot.
If a dude is running down an alley, a car with screeching tires and a foot to the floor on the accelerator will mow him down quicker than the 20-30 seconds it takes for them to duck through a doorway.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
1. Hearing a busy signal after someone hangs up
2. People everywhere always having the news on so the plot can move forward
3. Space marines wearing camouflage

What are yours

On point number one- the fact that nobody ever says goodbye on the phone, nor is it common to identify yourself when calling.

Also- when someone makes a call, the person they are trying to reach is the one that picks up UNLESS there needs to be dialogue between the person placing the call to someone that is in the room with them OR the caller or the call-ee is doing something embarrassing.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not a trope per se, but it seems insanely common for people to turn their car off and get out and leave the lights on... no reason, no lighting issues for the shot, they just get out and walk away with the lights on.
It isnt even courtesy lights on newer cars I am talking about- it seemed everyone did this in the 80s and 90s.

Another vehicular related bitch I have is the revving engine when a car is chasing people on foot.
If a dude is running down an alley, a car with screeching tires and a foot to the floor on the accelerator will mow him down quicker than the 20-30 seconds it takes for them to duck through a doorway.
and leave their windows open

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Another one that I am hating for the past decade or so is animal survival or lack thereof.

Old Yeller scarred the psyche of everyone so badly that the new trope became put the dog in danger but have it miraculously survive. It went that way for decades, with few exceptions.

Then, it seemed that after "I am legend" came out, dogs were doomed. Directors wiped them out left and right as a emotional trigger.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh another fun movie trope is that all cars explode like their gas tanks are packed with explosives.

And that shooting a gas tank makes it immediately explode.

The scene with Arnie in the last action hero when he came to the real world, shot at a car, and it didnt blow up, was priceless.
The bewildered look he gives his gun never ceased to crack me up.