Movie Tropes That Make No Sense In Reality

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Choo choo (yes)

I can't comment on WW84 because I fell asleep 20 minutes in and I respect Pascal's work in Narcos too much to have tried to keep watching anyway

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I enjoyed the first WW movie, but I was nicely buzzed on craft beers at the time at a movie theater in San Fran where you could order beers and food.

I will probably just get appropriately buzzed for WW84 and enjoy Gal Gadot.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Protagonist getting beat to one inch of their life before some montage where they find their will to fight on and suddenly turn the tide with all previous blows having no effect on them. I call it the Rocky Balboa.

Somewhat related is a character showing a level of skill and then it magically disappears when the plot requires it. Or a previously useless character somehow becoming proficient in something because they need ir to survive.

Finally there is the trained killer or soldier being bested by a computer geek or housewife with no training whatsoever.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can we talk about the trope where physics just kinda doesn't exist?

A protagonist half the size of some goon will like Judo-throw them like they weigh nothing lol.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

A protagonist half the size of some goon will like Judo-throw them like they weigh nothing lol.

Or the shotgun blast that blows a person 10 feet back.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

I knew a 5'4" guy that could roll trained fighters the size of linebackers with ease. Dude barely missed the olympic team. Freaking crazy.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I knew a 5'4" guy that could roll trained fighters the size of linebackers with ease. Dude barely missed the olympic team. Freaking crazy.

Corner case of the extreme variety.

We both know the vast majority of the time the smaller person cannot throw the larger one.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Corner case of the extreme variety.

We both know the vast majority of the time the smaller person cannot throw the larger one.

Maybe, but then you have to jump to the next logical conclusion. Women in action movies, they have the same problem.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe, but then you have to jump to the next logical conclusion. Women in action movies, they have the same problem.

I was honing in on that while being general enough so no one would feel the need to call me a misogynist.

Honestly they do it with women in the extreme these days, but have been doing it for years with men who are vastly different sizes as well.

I love when the hero-dude in the small town bar has that fight where he flips a dude up onto the bar and drags him face first thru way too much glassware.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I was honing in on that while being general enough so no one would feel the need to call me a misogynist.

Honestly they do it with women in the extreme these days, but have been doing it for years with men who are vastly different sizes as well.

I love when the hero-dude in the small town bar has that fight where he flips a dude up onto the bar and drags him face first thru way too much glassware.

Or to build on that. The small guy getting bullied by a biker, then runs out and takes 2 weeks of Karate lessons to get his revenge.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or to build on that. The small guy getting bullied by a biker, then runs out and takes 2 weeks of Karate lessons to get his revenge.

Well, he learns how to take a beating.

He learns to fight, but does it wrong the first time.

Then he does some soul searching, and really embraces the grind.

Queue montage.

Queue get the girl.

Queue Climax fight.

Lol did you ever see those kid ninja movies?

Granada

Liked Posts:
Not sure if it's been said already, but I can't stand explosions in movies, particularly ones where the protagonist is standing like 3 feet from said explosion and flies 20 yards after detonation, only to essentially dust himself off and walk away. While during that same explosion, every bad guy in the vicinity is immediately killed.

The one example I can think of off the top of my head is in The Last Jedi when Poe is running toward his x-wing and it gets blown to shit, he and BB-8 go flying, but what do you know -- they're just fine.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not sure if it's been said already, but I can't stand explosions in movies, particularly ones where the protagonist is standing like 3 feet from said explosion and flies 20 yards after detonation, only to essentially dust himself off and walk away. While during that same explosion, every bad guy in the vicinity is immediately killed.

The one example I can think of off the top of my head is in The Last Jedi when Poe is running toward his x-wing and it gets blown to shit, he and BB-8 go flying, but what do you know -- they're just fine.

Oh, this reminds me.

Old war movies where explosions go off and then dudes will go flying like it is a fucking cartoon.

I am quite sure a 6lb cannon ball neither explodes on contact, nor does it send a whole-of-body Union soldier over a fence, oddly as if he had jumped.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Oh, this reminds me.

Old war movies where explosions go off and then dudes will go flying like it is a fucking cartoon.

I am quite sure a 6lb cannon ball neither explodes on contact, nor does it send a whole-of-body Union soldier over a fence, oddly as if he had jumped.

this is the one movie that gets cannonballs right.

EvilWastefulAustraliankestrel-size_restricted.gif

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have thought of two.

Trying to disarm a bomb. It always comes down to the last second and they always cut the red wire. Always

People trying to escape a scary situation and dropping their keys before they can get it into the ingnition. They then of course can’t pick up and and end up kicking it somewhere

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Indeed it sure did lol.

Btw your gif would only display in the reply window... try using media tag.

Incidentally, that was the movie that put heath ledger on my radar...and I despised him.
Waited until I had absolutely nothing better to do with my life before wasting a couple hours watching him as the joker.

Immediately realized I was unfair and dead wrong, and he pulled off one of my favorite iterations of a comic book character ever.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have thought of two.

Trying to disarm a bomb. It always comes down to the last second and they always cut the red wire. Always

People trying to escape a scary situation and dropping their keys before they can get it into the ingnition. They then of course can’t pick up and and end up kicking it somewhere

The realistic version of the keys thing would be if you dropped them between the seat and the center console and just abandoned the vehicle knowing you'll never have time to get them out lol