Moving back to 4-3 defense

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Switching to a 4-3 would be best for both Mack and Quinn. No more wasting their talents by dropping them into coverage.
Mack usually never drops in coverage. For him the only change is he would have his hand on the ground while rushing.

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mack usually never drops in coverage. For him the only change is he would have his hand on the ground while rushing.

Usually never?

I agree that it doesn't happen often, but it happens too much
Switching to a 4-3 would be best for both Mack and Quinn. No more wasting their talents by dropping them into coverage.

I think Bilal Powell would get a big bump too... The problem is our LB's.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he rushed the qb 90% of the time.

Bears D had 1070 snaps in 2020... Mack has 894 (83.5%)
Of the 1070 snaps, 537 were pass attempts (50%)

If we assume that 1/2 Mack's snaps were rushing attempts and you're 90% is correct... That means he would have dropped into coverage ~45 times (almost 3 times per game).

I'd say that's a minimum and in reality it was probably 3 or 4 times per game.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
I think we should move to a 1-7-3 defense, with Nichols and Hicks tight press coverage on Julio and Buster Skrime for defensive end. - Nagy

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Are you referencing Blitz%? You have to think about how much nickel they play. There is no way an OLB was dropping back 79% of the time.

My statement accounts for that.

The NFL defines a blitz as 5 or more players rushing after the snap. The blitz percentage doesn’t tell me how many times both OLBs rushed, because you have to account for other positions being that 5th+ man. (CB, LB).

But what that blitz percentage does tell us is that around 80 percent of the time, the Bears did not have two OLBs rushing the QB.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My statement accounts for that.

The NFL defines a blitz as 5 or more players rushing after the snap. The blitz percentage doesn’t tell me how many times both OLBs rushed, because you have to account for other positions being that 5th+ man. (CB, LB).

But what that blitz percentage does tell us is that around 80 percent of the time, the Bears did not have two OLBs rushing the QB.
No it doesn’t. It says 80% of the time the bears rushed 4.

They weren’t in their base 34 that often.

“Dating back to 2018, in Vic Fangio's last season with Chicago, the Bears' defense lined up in any variation of nickel 64% of the time on the field. By comparison, they lined up in “base” 3-4 only 17% of the time. ... In 2019, the Bears lined up in nickel around 76% of the time, more than 3⁄4 of time spent on the field”

I know it’s kinda a shady source but according to football outsiders has nickel league wide at 55.9% and base Ds at 24% from 2019. I assume the 2020 aren’t far off.

So they may not have had 2 “OLBs” rushing but they did have 2 “DEs” rushing the majority of the time when they were in nickel somewhere between 56-64%.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everyone acting like finding a decent SAM is the hardest thing to do. Decent SAM's are usually found in the bargain bin in free agency along with FB's & Box SS's as it is usually not a 3 down player. Does no one remember Pisa Tinoisamoa?
I honestly think 3/4 of this board smokes too much weed to remember last week.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
letting Floyd go was another dumb move

At the time no, he wasn't playing well enough to justify that money. Playing in the wrong system? More than likely
But worth keeping on that 5 year deal to be invisible in pass rushing? Fuck no

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Barkevious Mingo is a cheap SAM at 1.8 million and its a much better fit than what he currently is.
I agree. I think Mingo could handle the SAM and not kill us on defense. I hope we go 4-3 although with the hire of a Fangio guy id assume he`d go with the 3-4.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I agree. I think Mingo could handle the SAM and not kill us on defense. I hope we go 4-3 although with the hire of a Fangio guy id assume he`d go with the 3-4.
Has he ever played off the ball? I feel like his whole career he's been an edge guy. Asking him to play off the ball at this point in his career doesn't seem like it'd work.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Correct. Maybe he has the fucking brains not to match DT on a slot speed receiver. Or to keep him on the field at all

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has he ever played off the ball? I feel like his whole career he's been an edge guy. Asking him to play off the ball at this point in his career doesn't seem like it'd work.
He has played SAM.. actually he's a great fit there in 4-3 perfect size but I don't think he's a very good every down linebacker, more rotational. He has struggled against the run and plays better, as you said, on the LOS.