Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm all for it. Also, you could cut Hicks and utilize Goldman and Nichols. Nichols would be a better fit for a 4-3.
lets see who the Bears hire to be the next DC. Moving on from Hicks might be a good idea.
I'm totally down with the 4-3 switch. can meant less depth problems besides for SAM and CBs

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Pretty fitting for the bears to go to an outdated defense...

Trevathan and Roquan both can't play Will, the position both would be best at. True Mikes don't really come around anymore, ever, so square peg in a round hole time. You'd need a Sam and that isn't anybody on the roster presently.

The secondary scheme would change, not for the better. Fuller especially, and JJ coming out of Utah/his rookie season are press/man guys, not that playing zone (likely cover 2) is impossible to learn but I recall Nnamdi Asomugah and how he went from a shutdown guy in a 34 in Oakland to incompetent/useless in Philly because he couldn't play 4-3 Cover 2 zone to save his life.

Biggest downside (or upside for our board's armchair GMs with a high draft pick) would be Erin Rodgers would gut this team as he did under Lovie and Tucker. Can't wait for opposing WRs to quick slant this scheme into submission with 3 yard quick passes that turn into 20+ because Danny Trevathan is the target to pick on.

Wade Phillips is 73 going on 74 in a couple of months. I'd try to throw as much $ as I could at him for the short term and stay with the scheme you actually have the personnel for...but why do the smart thing?

northsiderbearcub

Liked Posts:

Bears have interviewed three 4-3 guys know so it's starting to look like a reality. So here's a breakdown of what may happen.

Khalil Mack: 4:3 position: Closed Defensive End

Robert Quinn: 4-3 Position: Open Defensive End

Roquan Smith: 4-3 Position: Weak Side (Will) Linebacker

Danny T: 4-3 Position: Middle (Mike) Linebacker
Nichols as the UT next to Goldman. May want to trade Hicks or rotate him in with Goldman keep him fresh since hes getting older. Nichols can excel in this defense. Probably need some scheme friendly LBs to pair with Roquan. Trevathan at WLB.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Trevathan and Roquan both can't play Will, the position both would be best at. True Mikes don't really come around anymore, ever, so square peg in a round hole time. You'd need a Sam and that isn't anybody on the roster presently.

The secondary scheme would change, not for the better. Fuller especially, and JJ coming out of Utah/his rookie season are press/man guys, not that playing zone (likely cover 2) is impossible to learn but I recall Nnamdi Asomugah and how he went from a shutdown guy in a 34 in Oakland to incompetent/useless in Philly because he couldn't play 4-3 Cover 2 zone to save his life.

Biggest downside (or upside for our board's armchair GMs with a high draft pick) would be Erin Rodgers would gut this team as he did under Lovie and Tucker. Can't wait for opposing WRs to quick slant this scheme into submission with 3 yard quick passes that turn into 20+ because Danny Trevathan is the target to pick on.

Wade Phillips is 73 going on 74 in a couple of months. I'd try to throw as much $ as I could at him for the short term and stay with the scheme you actually have the personnel for...but why do the smart thing?

A 4-3 doesnt mean you have to play zone or a cover 2. Lol

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Everyone acting like finding a decent SAM is the hardest thing to do. Decent SAM's are usually found in the bargain bin in free agency along with FB's & Box SS's as it is usually not a 3 down player. Does no one remember Pisa Tinoisamoa?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Mingo could play SAM. He played off the ball a fair amount this year. As mentioned he's probably only be one the field 1/3 of snaps.

Trevethan is way too slow to be a Will, he's not a perfect fit (not anywhere with his decline) but he would fit at MIKE.

You'd need another one gapping IDL for passing downs to go along with Nichols. I'd like one of those anyway no matter scheme.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Aren't the Bears rarely in base anyway? Don't they usually essentially have a four-man front and a non-inside linebacker falling back into coverage post-snap anyway? Will it actually make much of a difference?

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

They're a dime a dozen. You want bigger bodies at strong side and middle, so it frees up the weak side. That's your playmaker. Roquan, IMO would excel as weakside (he's a tad undersized for MLB). You need an equally talented linebacker in the middle.

Fuller is not press lol, he never has been. He's much better read/react. And as others have said, the base defense has no bearing on what type of coverage you're playing.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they do switch to a 4-3 man.. you could have:

Mack/Goldman/<draft pick Tyler Shelvin :p / Quinn
<some body> / DT and/or <draft> / Smith

That would be some beef up front.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If they do switch to a 4-3 man.. you could have:

Mack/Goldman/<draft pick Tyler Shelvin :p / Quinn
<some body> / DT and/or <draft> / Smith

That would be some beef up front.

Nichols would be that guy. I doubt they go DT 1st in the draft unless Hicks and Goldman are gone. OT is most likely unless they package the pick to get a QB or a QB falls to them(unlikely scenario).

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nichols would be that guy. I doubt they go DT 1st in the draft unless Hicks and Goldman are gone. OT is most likely unless they package the pick to get a QB or a QB falls to them(unlikely scenario).
Shelvin should be there in the 3rd

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Switching to a 4-3 would be best for both Mack and Quinn. No more wasting their talents by dropping them into coverage.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Quinn's career numbers are much better in a 4-3 than 3-4. He needs to get healthy too