Mr. Fix it, Phil Emery

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Ok, I have always thought that drafting and revamping an area (whether it be Defensive Backs, O-line, D-Line, etc) is a much better way to go about it, than plugging one player in here, and one player in there. I love how Phil has grabbed the bull by the horn every year that he's been here.
When Phil took over as GM, the team's glaring weakness was WR. Enter Brandon Marshall via trade and drafting Alshon Jeffery. The next year, our O-line was the glaring need. Enter Jermon Bushrod and Matt Slauson via Free Agency, and drafting Kyle Long and Jordan Mills. This offseason it was obvious that our entire defense needed work. However, with Shea McClellin being moved to Linebacker, Bostic, Green, and Briggs, I honestly think that Phil thinks he has also revamped our LB corps. Obviously that's up for debate, but in Phil I trust.

Now, we have holes on our D-line and in our secondary, but not every position can have All Pros. Phil brought back Tillman, Jennings, Hayden, and drafted a physical, playmaking CB in Kyle Fuller. As far as Safeties go, we THANKFULLY got rid of Major Wright. We brought in M.D. Jennings and Ryan Mundy. Neither of these two are world-beaters by ANY means, but they aren't terrible, especially if there is a good pass rush in front of them.

Conte.....Conte, Conte, Conte. I hate Conte, now. However, I was really excited about how good he was gonna be when the season started. Many people on these boards were talking about Conte like he was Chuck Norris. My how things have changed. I think that Phil believes he will be improved with a better D-line in front of him.

Now, on to the D-Line. We cut ties with an unmotivated Peppers, and cut ties with Melton (who I always thought was overrated). Now here we are. Phil brings in Lamarr Houston, Willie Young, Jared Allen, (don't forget about all the other back-up fodder also). Now he also drafts a versatile run-stopper in Ego Ferguson, and an electric pass rushing 3-tech in Sutton.

I wasn't huge on the Ferguson pick, until the Sutton pick. I'm freakin' ecstatic right now. We not only have versatility with our depth on the line, but also with our personnel groupings. There are too many different lineup scenarios for me to get into right now, but holy shit! Pass rushers, Run stoppers, and versatility.

Thank you Phil. Thank you for making me a believer. I honestly believe we have a Top-15 defense on paper versus the run AND the pass. Couple that with the second year in Marc Trestman's offense, and we've got a Super Bowl contender. And best of all, we're still not done.

There is a few more rounds left, and then we see the plan come to fruition. We are not only contenders now, but we are going to be contenders for years to come.

I AM A CHICAGO BEARS FAN...I HAVE BEEN DRINKIN'...AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

:clap::clap::clap::beerbang::beerbang::beerbang::bearbang::bearbang::bearbang:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah except Ego Ferguson obviously can never catch a QB. He might muddle the run, disrupt, and collapse the pocket, a couple could run into him to avoid Allen, but he will never ever catch a QB.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Oh, and one more thing, Will Sutton is a big Bears fan. Man-crush...just....happened...

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
yeah except Ego Ferguson obviously can never catch a QB. He might muddle the run, disrupt, and collapse the pocket, a couple could run into him to avoid Allen, but he will never ever catch a QB.
His job isn't going to be get after the QB. We learned the hard way last year that if you don't stop the run, you don't get to rush the passer. He's gonna be a run stopper, and that's all. And I'm more than ok with it.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You realize you just described damn near every nose tackle in the league right. If he manages that then he is doing it right.

Urlingletary

Liked Posts:
:bearbang: There's going some mistakes a long the way, but I love how Emery and Trestman operate. Got some high hopes that Green Bay is going to get a lot of butt-kickings the next few years.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Agreed. They're gonna be tired of havin' a Clinton-Dix shoved up their asses. But then again, they're the Fudge Packers....they would love it

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
O.P - you'll be fine. It takes some getting used to having a competent G.M at Halas Hall.

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
It's been so long man...Hatley, then Angelo...I forgot what it was like, honestly

OliverTwistCone

Liked Posts:
Well the Ancient Persians used to make decisions drunk and then sober to see if they still liked the decision... well call me Xerxes....only not nearly as gay, but maybe a little more creepy...anyways...I still love the Sutton pick paired with Ferguson and the best DB in the draft in Fuller. So far this draft gets an A from me.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Ego will be the starting nose tackle in the future with Sutton being the starting three technique in the future.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mr. Fix it, Phil Emery

Gotta love throw it against the wall and hope it sticks Phil.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What he did for the WRs worked out. Same as the oline. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to have addressed our shitty pass rush and run defense this offseason.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Right. Cause NT has always been such a major contributor of sack numbers for the Bears. I bet he won't get any pics either, goddammnit!

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I watched highlight videos on Ego Ferguson and the dude looks crazy, I love it. A few times be broke through the Oline and looked like a deranged man out for bloody murder.

I like that

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
I agree with your observation that ..." I wasn't huge on the Ferguson pick, until the Sutton pick. I'm freakin' ecstatic right now." "Turd" Ferguson now makes sense at NT with Sutton on board at 3 tech....... Sutton could be the steal of this Draft....he could be our Aaron Donald plus......

Emery went our and got us "D-Line Beefcake!" We's got us our "Big Fatty" (NT) one pick ahead of Dix....and we got Melton's upgrade with Will Sutton.

well Played Phil........well played.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
BOB is a happy man with all that beef.