Mullens promise from Chicago (update)?

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Ohio State center B.J. Mullens was slated to appear but pulled out of the workout on Friday. His agent gave word to the Nets that he had a promise in the Top 16 and was shutting down workouts. We'll see if the agent is telling the truth on draft night.

Seems kind of odd to land on 16 as the last number...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ory?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftBuzz-090612

Update: Doug had found this, though he warns he doesn't know if it is real or a fan. It's a private request account.

95629054.jpg

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chi...hicago-bulls-give-bj-mullens-a-guarantee.html

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Re:Mullens top 16 promise?

Mullens and Casspi/ Brown won't be a bad draft

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:

I was just looking at Yahoo Sports Coverage on the Bulls in this draft, and Greg Anthony said we need a Center that can play "Back-to-Basket". In other the words, BJ Mullens, it didn't surprise me that he mention Bulls need to resign Gordon because it's no one in this draft that can replace him. I agree whole heartily with Greg Anthony. In no way shape or form, this years' draft of Shooting Guard will average 20 ppg game next year. You're not going to find a perfect fit next to Rose through this draft, especially when you're contrasting a proven 20 point dropper like Gordon.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:

Simeon2UC wrote:
I was just looking at Yahoo Sports Coverage on the Bulls in this draft, and Greg Anthony said we need a Center that can play "Back-to-Basket". In other the words, BJ Mullens, it didn't surprise me that he mention Bulls need to resign Gordon because it's no one in this draft that can replace him. I agree whole heartily with Greg Anthony. In no way shape or form, this years' draft of Shooting Guard will average 20 ppg game next year. You're not going to find a perfect fit next to Rose through this draft, especially when you're contrasting a proven 20 point dropper like Gordon.

A lot of people feel Mullens is more of a face up C..... People didn't get to see his shot this year but they say he has one......

If Paxson likes him I'm cool with it.... Patience is the key with Mullens though

MADman24

Liked Posts:

Simeon2UC wrote:
Every draft analyst has been saying that since Curry left that hasn't but we haven't taken one yet. It's like how the every draft analyst kept saying the Bears had to take a QB in the draft for like the past 5 years. Do we need a back to the basket player? Yes. Are we going to take one though?

And of course no one from this draft can replace Gordon next year, you can't expect a rookie to average 20 even if you have the #1 pick. If he's gone like many think, everyone is going to have to pick up their scoring to make up for it and his rookie replacement would not be counted on for much.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:

Rose already said he doesn't want to be a scorer. He wants to make his teammates better. Hinrich..., no. Ok, Salmons, the guy is aging but if anything, he won't average no more than 19. Deng, he'll probably put up 17 points.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
Why do fans like Blair so much when his moves consist of recklessness? Is he the next Dwayne Wade far as injuries? I had a nightmare he tried to go up strong and Pau Gasol landed on his neck and broke it during a TNT broadcast!

But in the grand scheme of things its only a good pick if that player can crack your rotation. Thabo wasn't a bust but he couldn't crack our rotation thus he was pretty much useless. Blair or Hansbrough while considered "safer" picks still might not be one of the 7 or 8 best players on the Bulls in 3 years where if you take Mullens there is a chance he could be your 3rd or 4th best player, a level Blair or Hansbrough have slim to no chance of reaching.

So you might be able to turn the safe pick into a late 1st rounder year after year like we did with Thabo but that player isn't likely to help all that much. However, teams have shown to still get value for the guys they have already written off as busts. The Clippers got Andre Miller for Darius Miles. The Wizards got Caron Butler for Kwame Brown. The Blazers got Brandon Roy for Sebastian Telfair. The Pistons got Rodney Stuckey for Darko. Teams still convince themselves that they can improve the player so in a trade a guy like Mullens will pretty much always carry more weight than Hansbrough.

But todays nba is about stars. Stars get the calls. Stars get to the finals. Stars win games. The bulls dont have these. So to take another role player makes little sense. The bulls have enough role players to last the next 2 decades. Hinrich, Deng, Noah, Miller, Tyrus. Any of these guys making an allstar team? The bulls have enough small pieces, but not enough big ones.

I don't think it would wise for him to do that, financially, but it could be that he likes what the bulls organization has to offer, and he may also thinks that he has an opportunity to get some actual playing time with the Bulls. He might have been an MJ fan, and was impressed with all the memorabilia at the Berto Center. Sometimes players make decisions based on whether or not they like the situation they are going into. We can say whatever we want about the bulls making it to the playoffs, but we must not forget that our glaring weakness is at the front line. Tyrus is still wild and immature; Noah cannot shoot, and he does not have a post game; Brad Miller is on his last leg. B.J. probably knows that he is definitely not going to be top 10, so he is making it known that he wants to be drafted by the Bulls among the teams picking from 11 and 16.

Some guys posted their notions on realgm bulls forum. I found it convincing.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't surprise me since it seems like practice most teams take. Look it we don't get Bosh, or Lebron we basically screwed as we have no shot at title. So we have to take best next thing, which might be taking chance on Mullens. Now I wonder if Paxson and Forman have switched roles here were Paxson wasn't involved that much with draft and Forman was. KC Johnson reported that Forman basically convinced Paxson to take Tyrus in 2006 draft

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me since it seems like practice most teams take. Look it we don't get Bosh, or Lebron we basically screwed as we have no shot at title. So we have to take best next thing, which might be taking chance on Mullens. Now I wonder if Paxson and Forman have switched roles here were Paxson wasn't involved that much with draft and Forman was. KC Johnson reported that Forman basically convinced Paxson to take Tyrus in 2006 draft
Well if Kc was right and i hope he was,lol Ty might be around longer than most of this board would like ..Wooohooo:laugh:

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
I don't care as long as he comes off the bench. Give him Jr Smith deal

Rose1

Liked Posts:
Somebody from insidehoops posted another segment lol:

111111z.jpg

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
but they're gonna take thabeet, what's the motivation???