My dad died this morning

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess the point of this thread is to hear how anybody who has dealt with parents they were close to dying.

I'm lost right now. My dad was 51 years old only. He most likely died from a heart attack. Even though his health wasn't what it used to be because of smoking, he didn't seem to be anywhere near death. He seemed healthy but with a few problems so this is a total surprise.

CCS seems like an appropriate place to type this stuff out because the #1 thing my dad and I loved together is the Cubs. He grew up a Cubs fan from watching games on WGN and I followed right behind. Just last night I spent time talking to him outside his house for about 20 minutes and we were both following the Cubs games on our phone and talking mostly about the Cubs lol

This is cliche but I genuinely mean it when I say I feel like I had the best dad ever.

I'll shut up here because I know everybody has problems...but man, this is a tough one....

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dang dude, that sucks. I can't help with how to cope, but I hope you and your family do. You have my condolences.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best wishes to you and yours.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm very sorry. 51 is much to young.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry for your loss ! I don't know what would be tougher the sudden unexpected loss such as yours, or finding out like I did that my 48 year old father had terminal cancer and having to watch his health deteriorate combined with the suffering over a years time. Looking back I almost think it would have been better if it happened quickly. Nothing more I can say .

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry man, it's really tough. I lost both mine in 2005 (different times, and they weren't together). It's an emotionally draining time, but you'll get through it stronger and a better man. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, I'm really sorry to hear this. I wish I had the words to help ease the pain for you.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Best wishes and condolences man. That is just gut wrenching awful. 51 is still young.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Das tough.... my condolences as well.

My pops is in his mid 50s and hes a heavy drinker and took up smoking in the last couple years after being a non-smoker his whole life.

I feel like ima be in the same boat sometime in the next few years.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fuck man, there are no words. I hope you're all doing alright.

My parents are both alive, but when I was younger I had a similar experience with my grandfathers (one died suddenly fairly young by modern standards [67] and the other also passed away unexpectedly later that week when I was out in PA for the funeral of the first); and pretty much the only advice I can think of is lean on the rest of your family and friends when you need them, and do the same for them.

Wish there were something more I could say or do; just remember to celebrate what you had rather than mourn what you've lost.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Sorry to read the news. Best wishes to you and the family.

Mitchapalooza

Dang that's heavy. Sorry man. At least you spent last night with him talking about something you both loved. Both my parents are still alive but i know when the time comes im gonna be a complete wreck. Hang in there buddy.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am sorry to hear about your dad. 51 is too soon. My father is 62 and I can't imagine losing him. My grandfather came within spitting distance of 100 years old so there is a good chance my father will have a long life too but he is a smoker and drinker. I don't act like I know what it feels like since I still have both of my parents but I feel your pain.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh fuck, that's awful man. Both of my parents are still alive but I lost my grandmother 4 years ago who was very important to me. Even 4 years later I still think about her constantly. It sucks so bad losing a close family member but just ride the storm out, it'll get easier.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
My dad died a 59. Heart failure of some kind. My mom found him on the couch like he had just sat down and was napping. I talked to him like 3 hours before my mom called and he was getting off work. Worst thing I've had to go through. It was so sudden, which is kind of a blessing since we didn't have to see him suffer.

Lots of crying and hugs from family helped me. I've got lots of cousins that were all pretty fond of my dad so they were around a lot when he died. I personally needed to be around people a good while after that. Being alone I would get so down and angry I would just shut down.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry for your loss. Tough to lose. I have gone through my fair share of death to immediate family members. You never forget but time heals. You will miss them, but as you the time passes it gets a little bit easier. Keep your head up. Stay strong. Hugs those close to you. I hope the Cubs take the series tonight for your dad.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My father died about 3 1/2 years ago from a heart attack. It actually happened during the last Patriots-Giants Super Bowl. I was watching it at his house, he said he was going to work on a book he was writing, I went to his room to let him know the third quarter was starting and I found him dead.

It's rough. Like you, I think I had the best dad in the world. I got through it by constantly reminding myself how lucky I was. I had 32 years with him. That's a lot longer than a lot of people get with their fathers. Some people never know their dads. Some people wish they had never known their dads.

It seems like you had a great relationship with a great father. That's invaluable. Keep reminding yourself of that.

Also, get some rest. My thoughts are with you.