My Mock Offseason is better than yours

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
This is for the hybrid defense using OverTheCap.com's Salary Cap Calculator

Cuts
Julius Peppers (June 1st Designation) - $9.8 million saved initially, $4.2 million more June 1st
Michael Bush - $1.85 million saved
Eric Weems - $1.1 million saved
Adam Podlesh - $1 million saved

Extension
Brandon Marshall - 4 years, $33.8 million ($16 million guaranteed)
2014: $5.3 million ($6 million guaranteed)
2015: $10 million ($4 million guaranteed)
2016: $9 million ($4 million guaranteed)
2017: $8.5 million ($2 million guaranteed)
[$4 million of 2014 salary converted to prorated bonus over next three seasons]

Re-Sign
Patrick Mannelly - 1 year, $1 million
Josh McCown - 1 year, $3 million
D.J. Williams - 1 year, $1.5 million
Blake Costanzo - 1 year, $1 million
Eben Britton - 1 year, $.75 million
Sherrick McManis - 1 year, $.75 million
Nate Collins - 2 years, $2 million (1/1)
Anthony Walters - 2 years, $1.5 million (.7/.8)
Taylor Boggs ERFA Tender - 1 year, $.5 million

Cap Room After Re-Signings (Pre-June 1st) ~ $19.4

Free Agency
DE Michael Bennett (Seattle Seahawks) - 4 years, $24 million (6/6/6/6)
-A versatile defensive end who excels at rushing the passer, he’s a perfect hybrid DE who can reunite with his brother

DT Linval Joseph (New York Giants) - 4 years, $18 million (4/4/5/5)
-A huge nose tackle who can clog up the middle of the line, he’s 6’ 4”, 328 and only 25. He’ll be a force over the middle for the prime of his career.

DE Ropati Pitoitua (Tennessee Titans) - 3 years, $9 million (2/3/4)
-One of the more unknown linemen in the league, he’s huge (6’ 8’, 290) with the combination of strength and speed to stuff the run and rush the passer. He’ll be a quality starter who’s cheap.

CB Tarell Brown (San Fransisco 49ers) - 3 years, $13 million (4/5/4)
-Kind of a forgotten man this year, he’s a very good starting cornerback who will get passed over because of the talent available at the position. He battled injuries this year, but he is very good at what is does.

S Quintin Demps (Kansas City Chiefs) - 1 year, $2 million (1.5)
-He was very good in six starts this year, but he has no starting experience prior. He gets a 1-year, prove it deal where he can compete with Conte, who is not a lost cause, providing a cheap starter with kick returning ability. It's a risk relying on he and Conte to man the FS position, but with a better front seven, it will be easier for the Safeties in the secondary.

LB Darryl Sharpton (Houston Texans) - 1 year, $1 million (1)
-A versatile linebacker that has really developed under new LB coach Reggie Herring, he provides depth at a position that needs it.

Leaves ~$900,000 in cap space prior to June 1st, when the Bears get the extra $4.2 million from designating Julius Peppers as a June 1st Cut. Leaves ~$5.1 million for signing draft picks and miscellaneous expenses.

Draft
1. DT Ra’shede Hageman (Minnesota)
-He’s a versatile defensive lineman who can get into the backfield at a number of positions.

2. SS Deone Bucannon (Washington St.)
-He’s a playmaking safety with great physical tools and good balance of past production and future potential.

3. QB David Fales (San Jose St.)
-One of the most accurate QBs in the draft, he’s got underrated mobility and is a perfect fit for Marc Trestman’s offense. He’s smart, and can sit for three or more seasons and be the Bears’ Kirk Cousins.

4. C Bryan Stork (Florida St.)
-He’s a center with experience in a great offense, who can both pass and run block at a high level. He can step in and start from day one.

5. RB James White (Wisconsin)
-Living in Wisconsin, I’ve seen James White for the last few seasons, and he is an excellent backup runningback. He’s very smart, and he’s a selfless leader. He has had to play behind Montee Ball and Melvin Gordon for most of his career, but he has been very effective. He’s quick, with good hands, and he is an excellent blocker. He’s a little small, but he’s a great competitor.

6. TE Crockett Gilmore (Colorado St.)
-A former DE and WR, he has a good combination of blocking and receiving ability.

6. DE Ben Gardner (Stanford)
-He tore his left pectoral during the season and played only eight games, but he is an extremely talented defensive end who could be a steal in the 6th round, when he gets healthy again.

Depth Chart
Offense
QB: Cutler, McCown, Fales
RB: Forte, White, Ford
FB: Fiammetta
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Wilson, Williams
TE: Bennett, Gilmore, Britton
LT: Bushrod, Britton
LG: Slauson, Brown
C: Stork, Boggs
RG: Long, Brown
RT: Mills, Britton

Hybrid Defense
LEO: Bennett, McClellin, Bass
DT: Hageman, Collins
NT: Joseph, Paea
DE: Pitoitua, Gardner
SLB: Bostic, Costanzo
MLB: Williams, Sharpton
WLB: Briggs, Greene
CB: Jennings, Brown, Frey, Wilson, McManis
FS: Demps/Conte
SS: Bucannon, Walters

Special Teams
K: Gould
P: Way/Butler
LS: Mannelly
KR: Demps/Ford/Williams
PR: Demps/Ford/Williams

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think your free agents are under paid and I would be surprised to see guys like Jospeh and Brown take so little. Word out of New York is that he is looking for 30 million plus.

Hageman is not consistent enough for me to take at 14, great physically but where is the production.

Don't need a QB in the 3rd.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;ILc0cYkKqFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILc0cYkKqFs[/video]

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
the bears' kirk cousins? did you watch his last 3 starts ?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I like it...

i think you are underpaying FAs just a little... But I will take it anyday...

I think Hageman is a star...

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
I think your free agents are under paid and I would be surprised to see guys like Jospeh and Brown take so little. Word out of New York is that he is looking for 30 million plus.

Hageman is not consistent enough for me to take at 14, great physically but where is the production.

Don't need a QB in the 3rd.

What he wants and what he ends up getting are two different things. He's not Vince Wilfork, and teams can't afford to invest top dollar into their nose tackle. I'll agree that both he and Brown are a little low, but not egregiously so. With Brown too, teams are going to throw their money at guys like Alterraun Verner, Sam Sheilds, Brent Grimes, ect. and I think Brown is in that 2nd tier that will end up getting less money, but I cut him a little short too.

As for Hageman, the potential is there, and the tape shows he can dominate. It's not like Shea where we were projecting that he could be good as a full-time DE. We know Hageman has the physical traits that just aren't coachable.

Fales in the third is getting the right QB for the system and grooming him. After those 3 guaranteed years of Cutler, Fales will be a polished QB ready to take off. More of a BPA pick

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
really don't understand the (kirk) cousins love on this board.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
the guy had a lot of weapons, and please don't come at me with "if he had a better o-line" bullshit.

8 starts, 8 TDs, 10 INTs, 4 fumbles, 56% completion percentage, 69 QBR

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Hageman played 55% of Minnesota defensive snaps, why

The better question is why, during the Senior Bowl, did he require constant coaching in order to properly execute his drills at full speed all the way to the finish? Which is another, more polite way of asking why did he need to be reminded to do his job in the middle of his fucking job interview in front of 32 teams?

He's 24 goddamn years old. If it hasn't clicked for him that he's about to be a professional football player, when is it going to?

Hageman did nothing for himself at the Senior Bowl. He confirmed what everyone already knew about potential and failed to answer any of the questions that still linger regarding his maturity, consistency, and work ethic. He's the exact same prospect he was at the beginning of the week, with all the same red flags.

BigShoulders

Liked Posts:
Mock is pretty good but you'd have to push some of Cutler's salary down the line because the FAs will cost a few million more than you're projecting. Or you could project Clinton McDonald to DT instead of Joesph and grab a better FA safety.

I'm not a fan of Fales in the third. Would prefer another DE or WR at that spot. I think James White in the 5th is a good idea. He's polished enough to come in and perform alright if he had to.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Mock is pretty good but you'd have to push some of Cutler's salary down the line because the FAs will cost a few million more than you're projecting. Or you could project Clinton McDonald to DT instead of Joesph and grab a better FA safety.

I'm not a fan of Fales in the third. Would prefer another DE or WR at that spot. I think James White in the 5th is a good idea. He's polished enough to come in and perform alright if he had to.

I love James White. I'm a big McDonald fan too. Would love to see them both in Chicago.

As for cap space, it's weird how little actual cap space they have, yet at the same time, how easy it would be for them to make more. They really aren't going to be horribly restricted, and they can free it up how they want depending on how much they want to spend.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
The better question is why, during the Senior Bowl, did he require constant coaching in order to properly execute his drills at full speed all the way to the finish? Which is another, more polite way of asking why did he need to be reminded to do his job in the middle of his fucking job interview in front of 32 teams?

He's 24 goddamn years old. If it hasn't clicked for him that he's about to be a professional football player, when is it going to?

Hageman did nothing for himself at the Senior Bowl. He confirmed what everyone already knew about potential and failed to answer any of the questions that still linger regarding his maturity, consistency, and work ethic. He's the exact same prospect he was at the beginning of the week, with all the same red flags.

All I've heard all week is how Hageman has been impressing everyone. Every single site I've seen say he is dominating and increasing his draft stock. Where are you getting your stuff?

BigShoulders

Liked Posts:
I love James White. I'm a big McDonald fan too. Would love to see them both in Chicago.

As for cap space, it's weird how little actual cap space they have, yet at the same time, how easy it would be for them to make more. They really aren't going to be horribly restricted, and they can free it up how they want depending on how much they want to spend.

Yep. It depends on how much of Cutler's salary they are willing to push down the line for this crop of FAs. I think the maximum is about $8mil (turn $10m of this year's $22.5 into a prorated bonus). The cap is also expected to go up significantly in about four years, so pushing $ way down the line could turn out to be a smart play.