My new video game blog

Kush77

Liked Posts:
To all the gamers on this board. Check out my new video game blog.

http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com/games/

It took me a while to convince my bosses to let me do it but I finally got it off the ground. It's myself and another co-worker that contribute to it.

Just made a post about Drew Brees being the cover athlete for Madden 11.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
any recommendations for ps3 games to buy during the summer?

Kush77

Liked Posts:
pinkizdead wrote:
any recommendations for ps3 games to buy during the summer?

There's a few sports titles I will be playing over the summer. the first is MLB 10 the Show. That's a good game. Don't know if you like soccer or golf but the World Cup games comes out next week and Tiger Woods 11 comes out in June.

College Football comes out in July and Madden in August.

The new UFC game comes out in May. And if you like racing games there's two coming out. Blur by Activision and Split Second by Disney.

There's a good amount of games coming in May and June. Slows down a bit in July and August, then of course picks up big time before xmas.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I love MLB the Show! I get that every year on PS3 along with Tiger Woods...

Kush you don't play text simulations I take it....OOTP 11 is out...pretty decent...thinks its only a matter of time before someone grabs that crew and bring them on a game like the Show and merge text sims and the visuals...

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Shameless self promotion:p

Good luck Kush, wish I could help but I only play nba 2k10 on an antique called ps2.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
I love MLB the Show! I get that every year on PS3 along with Tiger Woods...

Kush you don't play text simulations I take it....OOTP 11 is out...pretty decent...thinks its only a matter of time before someone grabs that crew and bring them on a game like the Show and merge text sims and the visuals...

No, I never played Out of the Park. I'm not a PC gamer at all. I haven't played a game on the PC since Oregon Trail and Tetris.

MLB the Show is a great game. I found a real nice balance to after playing with the sliders. What's your PS3 gamertag? We'll have to have a Cubs/Sox game sometime.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:

Good luck Kush, wish I could help but I only play nba 2k10 on an antique called ps2.

Shameless self promotion is the only kind I know how to do. B)

I didn't know they still made 2K for PS2. I guess it's not too surprising because they still make The Show, Madden and Smackdown vs. Raw for PS2.

The PS2 has had one hell of a shelf life.

Think about it, the original Xbox came out in 2001 and 360 was out only 4 years later in 2005. They were done making Xbox games around 2007. PS2 came out in 2000 and they're still making new titles for it. At this point it's been a relevant system for longer than the NES now.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
is there a way to make live less ridiculous on ps3? tyrus thomas and noah cant dunk over howard.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
The PC came out in 1981 and they still make games for it (OK, well not THE PC). :laugh:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
pinkizdead wrote:
is there a way to make live less ridiculous on ps3? tyrus thomas and noah cant dunk over howard.
Sliders methinks.

Also, I'd just like to say that the ps2, though by this point vastly outdated, has served me very well since they still make new game for it. Now if only it could have the features of the next gen systems, but alas, that would defeat the purpose now wouldn't it? :laugh:

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
TheStig wrote:

Shameless self promotion is the only kind I know how to do. B)

I didn't know they still made 2K for PS2. I guess it's not too surprising because they still make The Show, Madden and Smackdown vs. Raw for PS2.

The PS2 has had one hell of a shelf life.

Think about it, the original Xbox came out in 2001 and 360 was out only 4 years later in 2005. They were done making Xbox games around 2007. PS2 came out in 2000 and they're still making new titles for it. At this point it's been a relevant system for longer than the NES now.

lol your right. Its the only game I buy so its kinda hard to justify $300 for a ps3 when they are just gonna replace it in a yr or two. I just hope they make 2k11 for ps2. Its also nice since its half price for the game itself.

Didn't know Nes had a shorter shelf life. I still have one of those, though it sits in the closet.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
pinkizdead wrote:
Sliders methinks.

Also, I'd just like to say that the ps2, though by this point vastly outdated, has served me very well since they still make new game for it. Now if only it could have the features of the next gen systems, but alas, that would defeat the purpose now wouldn't it? :laugh:

Why, what am I missing?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
TheStig wrote:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
pinkizdead wrote:
Sliders methinks.

Why, what am I missing?
Other than obvious graphics stuff, there's just some little features missing from parts of the game. Or at least there are in my NBA 2K9.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
TheStig wrote:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
pinkizdead wrote:
Sliders methinks.

Why, what am I missing?
Other than obvious graphics stuff, there's just some little features missing from parts of the game. Or at least there are in my NBA 2K9.

The only thing I was aware of was less roster updates.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
TheStig wrote:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
TheStig wrote:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
pinkizdead wrote:
Sliders methinks.

Why, what am I missing?

The only thing I was aware of was less roster updates.
There might be online stuff that makes up for it (idk because I can't use the online services). If I recall correctly, in my 2K9 you can't use that lock on defense thing with the controller. There's some stuff from the street feature that's missing (which isn't that big a deal since I can't even remember what it is). Oh...the Sonics were still in the game, which made me laugh. Other than that, there might not be much else missing.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
lol your right. Its the only game I buy so its kinda hard to justify $300 for a ps3 when they are just gonna replace it in a yr or two. I just hope they make 2k11 for ps2. Its also nice since its half price for the game itself.

Didn't know Nes had a shorter shelf life. I still have one of those, though it sits in the closet.

I don't think you'd have to worry about a new Playstation for a few years. I remember reading something that Sony would like to have the PS3 life cycle be 10 years. I'm sure a new Xbox would speed that up.

But when I think about it, with all the stuff people download to their consoles, I think it would hard to make a new system in only 4/5 years. The Xbox 360 will 5 years old this Nov.. It will have had a longer cycle than the old Xbox. and I haven't heard any rumors about the Xbox 720 yet. I would think it's still a few years out.

But with the PS3, I think Sony wants that around for a while. And I would assume they would commit to it as long as they have with the PS2.

I guess my point is, if the worry about a new PS coming out in a year or two is holding you back, don't let worry about that.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Well then I might have to pick one up in a few months. Whats better a ps3 or xbox 360?

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
xbox has better/more exclusive games. if you're gonna use it for something other than play vidja games, ps3 does kewler stuff.

that said uncharted 2 is still amazing.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
Well then I might have to pick one up in a few months. Whats better a ps3 or xbox 360?

That's a tough one, it's depends on what you're looking for.

As fare as online play - Xbox Live is 50 bucks a year, but it's worth it. PS3 online is free. Overall not as good as Xbox, but damn good for free.

PS3 has a built in wireless router where the Xbox you have to buy one for 100 bucks.

PS3 has the BluRay player if that is important to you.

Xbox 360 does have more exclusives. Gears of War, Forza, Fable, mostly the Microsoft titles. PS3 has some, Uncharted and MLB the Show being the best ones imo. But I think exclusives are a bit overrated in terms of decided what system you ant because a majority of the really big titles are made for both systems anyway. GTA, Tom Clancy games, Call of Duty, music games, Madden, NBA NHL etc..

Controllers, you have to either get batteries or buy the rechargable packs for Xbox controllers. PS3 controllers come with a cord and charge by plugging into the PS3. That one nice little thing PS3 has on Xbox that no one really talks about. Especially now that Microsoft no longer sells the batter packs individually anymore for 11.99. Now they pack it with those damn plug and play cords (which I have about 75 of) and they charge 19.99. Pisses me off. I just buy the Mad Catz battery packs for 14.99.

Price being the main thing, I think the lowest PS3 is 299 and the lowest 360 is 199. But the 199 Xbox is the arcade version that doesn't come with a hard drive. I assume you'd want that so the Elite 360 is also 299 (with a 120 gb HD)

Now you could buy the 199 Arcade 360 and just buy a used Hard drive (20 gig for 50 bucks) thats what I did for my daughter's Xbox.
20 gig is usually enough for most people. The you'd be in the 250 buck area.

But the biggest issue for the 360 - the red ring of death.

I've had it happen 3 times to my first Xbox 360. Never had a problem with my PS3.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
my counsins came over, and after a week my ps3 overheated. Sony charged 130 bucks, and sent over a refurbished ps3.

my controllers are crapping out on me after about 3 years of use. Really it's just the rubber joist stick. i think i can fix that though.

The great thing about ps3, is that you can fill it stuff. I have all the episodes of curb your enthusiasm and flight of the conchords. i also have all my music on it. it's nice if your ps3 is hooked up to a sound system.