My not so hot take on a college prospect

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I just finished watching the last of 8 games of Devonta Smiths college career. This isn't bears related as they have no shot at him but just wanted to share some quick thoughts.

He very well maybe the best Wr prospect I've ever seen. The only thing I can knock him on (and I'm not even sure it's legitimate at all) is his frame. At 6"-6"1 175ish he's really slender. But holy hell his skill set is unreal.

He's top 1% in so many facets of the game and his physical tools it's scary.

Explosion, short area quickness, long speed, speration, route running, body control, release combinations off the line, coming out of his stems, Tracking the ball, hands, high pointing. There's really nothing he does that's not at an elite level. If he weighed 200LBS he would be the sitting on MT Rushmore with the Hershel Walkers of the prospect world.

If I'm an NFL team I don't think twice about taking him over Chase.

I've been trying to think of a decent comp but can't. Chad Johnson/ Antonio brown with more speed is the best I can do but he's better then both my a country mile coming out of college.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
He ain't even the best nfl prospect on his own team.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Seriously tho, above is just personal opinion. I think both smith and waddle will be legit studs in the NFL.

I just like waddle more because he fits this scheme more....and also because he actually has a shot to be there at #20 thanks to him getting hurt.

Thing is, even if smith does drop to 20(wont happen) I doubt we take him. Can't let arob walk and take a WR in the first when your tackle and qb situation is complete ass.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Seriously tho, above is just personal opinion. I think both smith and waddle will be legit studs in the NFL.

I just like waddle more because he fits this scheme more....and also because he actually has a shot to be there at #20 thanks to him getting hurt.

Thing is, even if smith does drop to 20(wont happen) I doubt we take him. Can't let arob walk and take a WR in the first when your tackle and qb situation is complete ass.
He's better than Waddle. Waddle isn't as refined in certain areas. I knew he was good obviously, just like Waddle or insert any Bama Wr over the past 8 years. But I had no idea how good until I sat down and watched him intently. Its something to behold, truly. He's playing 3D chess on a checker board.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He's better than Waddle. Waddle isn't as refined in certain areas. I knew he was good obviously, just like Waddle or insert any Bama Wr over the past 8 years. But I had no idea how good until I sat down and watched him intently. Its something to behold, truly. He's playing 3D chess on a checker board.

Waddle had a perfect passer rating when targeted before getting hurt this year.

It's a shame we didn't get to see more of waddle this year. Like I said, they are both studs and will make for great pros. Both are top 10 prospects in this draft imo, its like chocolate and vanilla tho, just what you prefer really.

It's insane that bama had ruggs, jeudy, smith and waddle all on the same team. Fucking disgusting. That has to be the best WR group of all time. You got 4 potential top 15 picks. That isn't even including Calvin Ridley. Bama bout to become WR U.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I said something similar in another thread. Waddle isn’t on Smith’s level, and it’s not that close. He is next-level elite in basically every WR facet. He’s gonna be a stud. He’ll be long gone by the time the Bears pick tho.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I said something similar in another thread. Waddle isn’t on Smith’s level, and it’s not that close. He is next-level elite in basically every WR facet. He’s gonna be a stud. He’ll be long gone by the time the Bears pick tho.

Waddle was outplaying smith before he got hurt.....

Just sayin.

They are both elite. Either way, we shouldn't draft either of them. Fix the tackle situation, or draft a QB.

If you want a WR keep arob on the franchise tag for 16m. Don't pull the classic pace move of getting rid of a guy just to waste money/picks on another guy.

jts1207

Liked Posts:

Drops to 20 lol

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, reason I prefer waddle for us is because he plays the slot.

Devonta is more of a Z prototype in the NFL. We already have Mooney filling that hole for the next 3 years.

Not that it matters, lol. Both are a pipe dream.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Waddle was outplaying smith before he got hurt.....

Just sayin.

They are both elite. Either way, we shouldn't draft either of them. Fix the tackle situation, or draft a QB.

If you want a WR keep arob on the franchise tag for 16m. Don't pull the classic pace move of getting rid of a guy just to waste money/picks on another guy.
I hope we keep ARob also. But there is a good chance he walks and that leaves the WR group in pretty bad shape.

Waddle is going to be good IMO, that wasn’t a knock on him. He has elite speed, but Smith has better hands and his route running and knowing the nuances of the position is off the charts insane. That’s what will make him a better player in the pros rather than having elite speed.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Also, reason I prefer waddle for us is because he plays the slot.

Devonta is more of a Z prototype in the NFL. We already have Mooney filling that hole for the next 3 years.

Not that it matters, lol. Both are a pipe dream.
Smith plays everywhere and could in the pros also. His route running is crazy good.

greg23

Liked Posts:
My comp for him is

Tyreek Hill

Taller and more slender.but the fastest quickest most explosive guy on the field....you have an angle; and all of a sudden you don't and he's gone

msadows

Liked Posts:
My comp for him is

Tyreek Hill

Taller and more slender.but the fastest quickest most explosive guy on the field....you have an angle; and all of a sudden you don't and he's gone

Thats funny, because I think Waddle is a lot more like tyreek.

Devonta is more antonio brown to me than hill. Devonta aint no where near as fast as tyreek. Waddle is the burner.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I don’t think either will be there when the Bears pick. My sleeper is Sage Surratt out of Wake Forest who may slip to the 3rd.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I don’t think either will be there when the Bears pick. My sleeper is Sage Surratt out of Wake Forest who may slip to the 3rd.
Rondale Moore is my guy the kid is so quick. While he's quick, he also has straight line speed, having run a 4.33 40. He reminds me a lot of tyreek Hill in his play style. He runs like an rb. He would give us a more legit jet sweep threat. Also another explosive option with Mooney. He has had durability issues and potentially that could drop him to the 3rd? If they could get arob back and have him, moore and Mooney that would be an explosive and scary corp.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Just think in 2019, Alabama had these 4 WR's:

Jeudy
Ruggs
Waddle
Smith

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Thats funny, because I think Waddle is a lot more like tyreek.

Devonta is more antonio brown to me than hill. Devonta aint no where near as fast as tyreek. Waddle is the burner.
Devonte is stupid fast. Not hill fast but easy mid 4.3s. I'll bet a paycheck he and waddle are within .002 of each other at the combine one way or the other. I was with you before watching him on the speed front. Unless Waddle shows up with performance in the 4.2s. which I don't think is likely.

Last edited:

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I just finished watching the last of 8 games of Devonte Smiths college career. This isn't bears related as they have no shot at him but just wanted to share some quick thoughts.

He very well maybe the best Wr prospect I've ever seen. The only thing I can knock him on (and I'm not even sure it's legitimate at all) is his frame. At 6"-6"1 175ish he's really slender. But holy hell his skill set is unreal.

He's top 1% in so many facets of the game and his physical tools it's scary.

Explosion, short area quickness, long speed, speration, route running, body control, release combinations off the line, coming out of his stems, Tracking the ball, hands, high pointing. There's really nothing he does that's not at an elite level. If he weighed 200LBS he would be the sitting on MT Rushmore with the Hershel Walkers of the prospect world.

If I'm an NFL team I don't think twice about taking him over Chase.

I've been trying to think of a decent comp but can't. Chad Johnson/ Antonio brown with more speed is the best I can do but he's better then both my a country mile coming out of college.

Here is mine-

Ja’Marr Chase is better and will be a top 5 WR in the NFL.

He can do everything Devontae can do and is more physical.

Chase is a bigger Steve Smith.

Bump this in 2-3 years.