My round-by-round and overall Bears 2019 draft grades

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
3rd round: RB David Montgomery, ISU

First and foremost, #calledit. Second, this falls in line with the Pace MO of identify biggest weakness area, target player, acquire player. One thing that justifies Pace’s move is that the Bills took Devin Singletary right after the Bears picked Montgomery, so its possible that the Bills would have taken Montgomery prior to the Bears #87 pick. That said, trading up to get a RB not named Sanders or Henderson is a bit of a reach, and the Patriots ended up with Bama RB Damien Harris at #87, who very easily could be superior to Montgomery.

Montgomery is already a polarizing figure…detractors say he is Jordan Howard 2.0 (assuming it’s the 3.7 YPC Howard), believers say his skillset is similar to Kareem Hunt’s (LOL). Wow. Having watched Mongtomery a little bit, I’d say he’s much closer to Howard than Kareem Hunt, but neither is a good comparison.

I don’t think Montgomery will be an individual threat…he’ll get his yards within Nagy’s system when Nagy needs a ball carrier. Defenses won’t gameplan for Montgomery, they will breathe a sigh of relief when he gets the ball instead of a dangerous Cohen or Trubisky dropping back.

Grade: C-

4th round: WR Riley Ridley, UGA

Interesting that Pace went with a blue-chip program player. This could be like an “Eddie Jackson pick”, with a talented player falling to the middle rounds for whatever reason (I assume lack of speed and arrest had something to do with it). His college stats are garbage, he never even came close to having a 100-yard game, and he’s very small to be a starting ‘possession’ WR in the NFL. Not sure if Nagy’s offense wants possession guys in the slot, so this might not even be the ostensible “system fit” that everyone seems to talk about. I would have liked this pick a lot more if it took place toward the end of the draft.

Grade: C-

6th round: CB Duke Shelley, KSU

Who doesn’t love DBs from the Big12, amirite? Was originally projected as an UDFA, but had a strong pro day, which I guess wowed Ryan Pace enough to take him in the 6th round. Undersized CB who missed half of his senior season with a toe injury. I can only assume that Shelley was very impressive in his interview, because I’m not seeing much else here. WR Kelvin Harmon of NC ST was taken right after, and his college resume is much better than Ridley’s. Hmm.

Grade: F

7th round: RB Kerrith Whyte Jr, FAU

Did Pace think he was drafting the other FAU RB…like when Bill Tobin drafted the ‘wrong’ Darren Lewis back in the 90’s? Joking aside, this is really the only pick that says “Nagy guy”. White has the potential to be a matchup problem moreso than the glut of other skill position players Pace has brought in this offseason. I assume Patterson is the KR, and White didn’t return punts in college, so I’m not sure what White can add to the Bears return game. I guess we’ll see if he makes the team first, then go from there.

Grade: C+

7th round: CB Stephen Denmark, Valdosta St.

From what I’ve read, Denmark graded out much higher than Shelley, and that is even with the red flag assessment of “the tape is rough”. Needs time to develop, which he could get on the Bears. Seems to fit what the Bears are trying to do…not sure if Denmark will be moved to S to take over when Dix leaves. I wonder if during the upcoming season we will rhetorically ask ourselves “what if Pace drafted a kicker in the 7th round?”, forgetting that the only thing everyone in the media agreed upon was that the Bears DEFINITELY shouldn’t ‘waste’ a draft pick on a kicker.

Grade: C

Overall Grade: C-

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Montgomery will be an interesting player to watch. CLEARLY the dude is not athletic. Both the eye and the testing results show this out. Just as clear though is the guy has some "side to side" make you miss.... wiggle.... whatever you want to call it. Can a running back like that succeed in the NFL? Will those moves that worked on shitty college LB's work against the Quan's of the NFL? We shall see..... I'd guess not. But I'm giving Pace the benefit of the doubt at this point.

I think we'll be able to tell real quick once the pads go on this summer. If he's breaking tackles vs the Bears LB's then he'll be just fine. If not....

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're nuts.

Chicago Bears
Draft pick:
Iowa State RB David Montgomery; Georgia WR Riley Ridley(No. 126); Kansas State CB Duke Shelley (No. 205); Florida Atlantic RB Kerrith White (No. 222); Valdosta State CB Stephen Denmark (No. 238)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Khalil Mack was 100 percent worthy of the Bears' interest. He played lights-out in 2018 and I suspect will be a force over the next few seasons, barring injury (which was a bit of a concern last year). There's no question he was worth giving up their 2019 first- and sixth-round picks, as well as the 2020 third-round pick as a sweetener. And parting with a 2020 first-round pick and swapping second-round picks with the Raiders next year may only be a minimal loss for the Bears if they are a playoff team and Oakland does not greatly exceed its win total from last season.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Montgomery will be an interesting player to watch. CLEARLY the dude is not athletic. Both the eye and the testing results show this out. Just as clear though is the guy has some "side to side" make you miss.... wiggle.... whatever you want to call it. Can a running back like that succeed in the NFL? Will those moves that worked on shitty college LB's work against the Quan's of the NFL? We shall see..... I'd guess not. But I'm giving Pace the benefit of the doubt at this point.

I think we'll be able to tell real quick once the pads go on this summer. If he's breaking tackles vs the Bears LB's then he'll be just fine. If not....
Define athletic? His film shows an uncanny ability to make a variety of cuts that frankly, make defenders look silly at times. It's pretty rare for a RB of his size. I see a real good athlete on the football field. His feet are pretty remarkable.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am always nuts because I post my own opinion, instead of cutting/pasting verbatim from Draft Scout or other such nonsense. I like how the first words in your draft analysis is "Khalil Mack". GTFO

I'd seen evaluators high on Montgomery across the combine, a million websites, and evaluators. Giving him a "C-" is just way off. That is value taken where he went. I'm not BIG on Ridley, but he comes from a good football family, so I think you're also low on him. The others I don't know, so you could be right. And if you think trading away picks for Mack didn't influence this draft, you're not paying attention. Those picks for Mack was totally worth it.

I think you will be 100% wrong on Montgomery.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not super high on this draft overall. I found the Montgomery pick to be pretty meh. He's not necessarily the back that I envisioned in Nagy's offense, but Nagy/Pace seem to be pretty thrilled from their presser (obviously) so I guess I'll wait and see. He was a good college back on a shit offense. Can make a guy miss, but not going to outrun anyone in the NFL.

Ridley - I don't really know how I feel about this guy yet. His college production is pretty limited and he's at a position the Bears are 'loaded' at already. All of the CCS Talking heads tell me he was BPA - no brainer. Would have rather seen an OL/DL pick here, but whatever.

I think the Duke Shelley pick could be the big winner out of the draft. Hopefully he overtakes Skrine on the depth chart as NB and turns into what Callahan was for us.

Whyte is an intriguing pick, that's all I got on that one.

Denmark - ran a lower 3 cone time than Kush. Maybe a ST guy.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I'd be happy to make an avatar bet with you, Sparrow. You tell me the over/under on stats for Montgomery, what you think it would take for him to be an "A" rb, and I'll take the over. (Assuming your numbers are within reason.)

I'd probably start with what Howard did last year, as a base in this offense.

Howard had 935 yards, 9 tds, and 25 receptions for 145 yards.

So if you want to offer up 1200 yards from scrimmage, and 10 tds, I'll take the over on that. Howard was the #21 rb in my fantasy leagues, so I think if Montgomery is top 20 (or even top 15) that's success. (Cohen was the #11 rb, fwiw.)

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
@Rory Sparrow I think if you didn't really get "wowed" by this draft, it is perhaps because you fail to see the potential massive special teams value in the sum of these picks minus Montgomery (because he is supposed to be a day-one replacement for Jordan Howard)

Look at the big picture - maybe none of the other guys start on Offense or Defense but they sure as heck have potential to be blue chip special teams aces for years to come.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I liked the Montgomery move and pick but in general the draft is what I would expect. Take guys you expect production from or as it gets later, guys with enough physical attributes to mold into something if you can. We got 2 7th round players here with 42+" verticals. It will take some time to determine the effectiveness of this draft but I'm plenty fine with it. I agree with Rory about Harris but in terms of fit, the right team got the right players with those 2 RBs. Tough to have a great draft without a 1st and 2nd round pick.

Montgomery was obviously a target. I half expected Pace to trade back for 2 more 4th round picks and settle for Hill or Love and an extra pick late in the round.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I'd seen evaluators high on Montgomery across the combine, a million websites, and evaluators. Giving him a "C-" is just way off. That is value taken where he went. I'm not BIG on Ridley, but he comes from a good football family, so I think you're also low on him. The others I don't know, so you could be right. And if you think trading away picks for Mack didn't influence this draft, you're not paying attention. Those picks for Mack was totally worth it.

I think you will be 100% wrong on Montgomery.

No, I could be 100% wrong on Montgomery. I've been wrong on guys before.

I thought the RB class was kind of "meh" in general, and I didn't think Mongtomery warranted 'trading up', much less trading up with the Patriots...who then took a RB at #87. The whole situation is kind of set up as "Belichick outsmarted an NFL GM again", but who knows. I would have felt better about the Montgomery pick if Pace would have stood pat at #87, if that makes sense considering the Bills took a RB, too.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Define athletic? His film shows an uncanny ability to make a variety of cuts that frankly, make defenders look silly at times. It's pretty rare for a RB of his size. I see a real good athlete on the football field. His feet are pretty remarkable.
In almost every testing category (not just 40 time) he's average to below average. I fully acknowledge his ability to make cuts. His feet are great. The rest of him not so much. Time will tell.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not super high on this draft overall. I found the Montgomery pick to be pretty meh. He's not necessarily the back that I envisioned in Nagy's offense, but Nagy/Pace seem to be pretty thrilled from their presser (obviously) so I guess I'll wait and see. He was a good college back on a shit offense. Can make a guy miss, but not going to outrun anyone in the NFL.

Ridley - I don't really know how I feel about this guy yet. His college production is pretty limited and he's at a position the Bears are 'loaded' at already. All of the CCS Talking heads tell me he was BPA - no brainer. Would have rather seen an OL/DL pick here, but whatever.

I think the Duke Shelley pick could be the big winner out of the draft. Hopefully he overtakes Skrine on the depth chart as NB and turns into what Callahan was for us.

Whyte is an intriguing pick, that's all I got on that one.

Denmark - ran a lower 3 cone time than Kush. Maybe a ST guy.

I think the same thing about the Duke Shelley pick based on what my K-State connection (the best there is) has to say.

See the Duke Shelley thread for his comment.