My round-by-round and overall Bears 2019 draft grades

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
3rd round: RB David Montgomery, ISU

First and foremost, #calledit. Second, this falls in line with the Pace MO of identify biggest weakness area, target player, acquire player. One thing that justifies Pace’s move is that the Bills took Devin Singletary right after the Bears picked Montgomery, so its possible that the Bills would have taken Montgomery prior to the Bears #87 pick. That said, trading up to get a RB not named Sanders or Henderson is a bit of a reach, and the Patriots ended up with Bama RB Damien Harris at #87, who very easily could be superior to Montgomery.

Montgomery is already a polarizing figure…detractors say he is Jordan Howard 2.0 (assuming it’s the 3.7 YPC Howard), believers say his skillset is similar to Kareem Hunt’s (LOL). Wow. Having watched Mongtomery a little bit, I’d say he’s much closer to Howard than Kareem Hunt, but neither is a good comparison.

I don’t think Montgomery will be an individual threat…he’ll get his yards within Nagy’s system when Nagy needs a ball carrier. Defenses won’t gameplan for Montgomery, they will breathe a sigh of relief when he gets the ball instead of a dangerous Cohen or Trubisky dropping back.

Grade: C-

for what its worth...
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...nsas-city-chiefs-cleveland-browns-kareem-hunt

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Last Year

The Patriots gave the Lions 66 points [mid 4th] of value for their 3[2019].

This Year

The Colts valued the Redskins future 2nd as a high 3rd.

The Dolphins valued the Saints future 2nd at 188 points or as a mid 3rd round pick

The Broncos valued the Steelers future 3rd at 70 points or as a mid 4th

Most teams are still discounting almost a full round on future picks.

Fascinating. Good work there. Deserve more than just a like. Thanks!

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fascinating. Good work there. Deserve more than just a like. Thanks!

I am not sure why the Patriots give the Bears such great value.

My guess is it is that they want future picks and a lot of teams are reluctant to give them up, combined with the Patriots confidence in their ability to put off talent acquisition.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
C+ isn't a low grade. Its slightly above average. It would have been higher had Whyte been an accomplished punt returner in college, but he never was a PR. I thought Patterson was obviously the Bears KR, because he led the league and that's his prime value. I thought if the Bears wanted to use Cohen more on offense and lessen his PR duties, then having a guy who was a PR in college would be an asset. Whyte doesn't really fill any need on the Bears, and he is just another skill position camp body at this point.
Good point. And it's a shame Whyte hasn't PR. It's a different animal than KR, but good KR (and Whyte is good) tend to view the field through the catch. So learning PR shouldn't be difficult for Whyte. I expect Bears to train him on it early... and so I personally wouldn't have counted it (no PR) against him, rather gifted it to him. So I mark Whyte as at least backup KR & PR.

Might be a good ST coverage dude, Bench Press 21, he's 5'10" almost 200lbs. Project.

I'm gonna guess Nagy will want to keep Cohen on PR for a few reasons...

Cohen is good at it, but also has room to improve. PR is an important play, and something this Bears D produces a lot of. Also with all the RB options -- as much as Nagy told gleeful reporters he intends to 'get Cohen more involved' -- it's stacking up like he'll get the same or less snaps.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that is kind of what "data" is....counting all outcomes. Not sure why that is a negative.

Reminds me of the Cubs forum when all the statistical data compiled over 100+ years of baseball says that you shouldn't have your best hitter sacrifice bunting to move the runners, yet when Maddon has Kris Bryant bunt, its justified by saying "Maddon had a feeling" and "Maddon won games" and "Metrics don't apply in Maddon's case".
Valid knock on Pace for last year. But I'd give the GM extra leeway to trade up when the team is an obvious contender with few holes. There was a 'Howard hole', between the tackles RB missing, filled well with Monty.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that is kind of what "data" is....counting all outcomes. Not sure why that is a negative.

Reminds me of the Cubs forum when all the statistical data compiled over 100+ years of baseball says that you shouldn't have your best hitter sacrifice bunting to move the runners, yet when Maddon has Kris Bryant bunt, its justified by saying "Maddon had a feeling" and "Maddon won games" and "Metrics don't apply in Maddon's case".
That's a really poor example because a) Maddon doesn't call for the sac bunt, and b) I have never, ever seen any similar statements on that forum. Lots of crazy crap, but not that.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
That's a really poor example because a) Maddon doesn't call for the sac bunt, and b) I have never, ever seen any similar statements on that forum. Lots of crazy crap, but not that.

You would know better than me, because the Cubs forum is easily the 'weak link' of the CCS organization. Team wins World Series for first time in 100 years, and its still the same 4-5 idiots who know nothing about baseball espousing on how Kyle Schwarber will be a backup catcher and it made sense to pull Kyle Hendricks after 4 1/3 because he was 'struggling'. You'd think the Cubs forum would be exploding with activity at this point, but it seems like things over there have been 'Silenced', no?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's a Cubs forum?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
There's a Cubs forum?

It serves a noble purpose on CCS. No matter how low traffic is in the Bears forum, no matter how homeristic the posts in the Bears forum are...you can always say to yourself, "Well, at least its not as bad as the Cubs forum".

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
It serves a noble purpose on CCS. No matter how low traffic is in the Bears forum, no matter how homeristic the posts in the Bears forum are...you can always say to yourself, "Well, at least its not as bad as the Cubs forum".

The quality of English in the Cubs forum is also somehow worse than it is in the Bears forum.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You seem upset. Don’t want you to get all “Domestic” about it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You would know better than me, because the Cubs forum is easily the 'weak link' of the CCS organization. Team wins World Series for first time in 100 years, and its still the same 4-5 idiots who know nothing about baseball espousing on how Kyle Schwarber will be a backup catcher and it made sense to pull Kyle Hendricks after 4 1/3 because he was 'struggling'. You'd think the Cubs forum would be exploding with activity at this point, but it seems like things over there have been 'Silenced', no?

I'd love to post in a Cubs forum.......just not the CCS forum