Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Round 2, Pick 39: Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington
In many of my mocks, I took Kyler Gordon to be CB2 opposite JJ. Nice to know that Poles and I were thinking alike.

Round 2, Pick 48: Jaquan Brisker, SS, Penn State
I would have probably gone for my top O-Line guy, Daniel Faalele here. But Brisker and Gordon probably make the defense much better, and that will indirectly help Fields. In this case, the talent level is much higher than it was last year.

Round 3, Pick 71: Velus Jones, Jr., WR, Tennessee
I see a Cordarrelle Patterson type in the making here, so this could be very helpful, even though I was thinking David Bell of Perdue instead or Faalele, who was clearly slipping. Unlike Patterson, Jones also returns punts.

Round 5, Pick 168: Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah
He's not Daniel Faalele, which is my biggest knock on the pick. Jones could be a very good OT3, and he comes at a good price.

Round 5, Pick 174: Dominique Robinson, DE, Miami (Ohio)
I see another Trevis Gipson here, and if he's like Gipson, he could be ready to take over for Quinn next year. I see another Mack-esque return, which is not a bad thing.

Round 6, Pick 186: Zach Thomas, G, San Diego State
With Alex Bars gone to Vegas, the Bears got someone who could be a backup guard/tackle.

Round 6, Pick 203: Tresten Ebner, RB, Baylor
I see a replacement for Tarik Cohen in this pick, an excellent receiving threat out of the backfield who can also run the ball and return kicks.

Round 6, Pick 207: Doug Kramer, C, Illinois
This could be the guy who bumps Mustiphar - barring Mustiphar shaping up into at least an average center. Of, if Mustiphar walks as a free agent, he takes over.

Round 7, Pick 226: Ja'Tyre Carter, G, Southern
This is a pick I didn't get. Honestly, I would have gone for Alabama's Slade Bolden here, a good-hands receiver reminiscent of Tom Waddle. Maybe he can develop into a replacement for Whitehair.

Round 7, Pick 254: Elijah Hicks, DB California
At worst, he is training camp competition for Kindle Vildor. But both Dohnovan West and Alec Lindstrom were available.

Round 7, Pick 255: Trenton Gill, P, NC State
Well, if you couldn't get the God of Punting, he might be serviceable. But it may have been a better idea to just shell out to keep O'Donnell.

---

Overall, I give Poles a B+ for the draft. I don't like that he missed out on Faalele, who probably would have bumped one of Borom/Jenkins (preferably the latter) to swing tackle. It would have been a huge help to Fields, and I'd have taken Bell over Jones.

That said, the improvement in the secondary is going to be one of the biggest assists the Bears can give Fields. Yes, he is amazing on deep balls, and yes, he is a superb quarterback, but expecting Fields to take the whole team on his shoulders is a good way to wreck him. If the defense can shut down other teams, Fields doesn't have to do so much.

My downgrades are for what could have been done. A deal with Cleveland, giving them #71 overall for #78 and #108 could have given the Bears both Jones (given that he was seen as a reach by many experts at #71 overall) and Faalele, or maybe the Bears get Bell and Faalele, much more immediate help for Fields.

That said, a lot of the Day 3 picks could be very good backups or eventual starters. The Bears have done this before across multiple coaches (see Leno at OT, Bush and Houston-Carson at safety, Herbert at RB, etc.).

Still, Poles did a lot more than I'd have expected, and he kept Quinn. A very good draft.

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
Round 2, Pick 39: Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington
In many of my mocks, I took Kyler Gordon to be CB2 opposite JJ. Nice to know that Poles and I were thinking alike.

Round 2, Pick 48: Jaquan Brisker, SS, Penn State
I would have probably gone for my top O-Line guy, Daniel Faalele here. But Brisker and Gordon probably make the defense much better, and that will indirectly help Fields. In this case, the talent level is much higher than it was last year.

Round 3, Pick 71: Velus Jones, Jr., WR, Tennessee
I see a Cordarrelle Patterson type in the making here, so this could be very helpful, even though I was thinking David Bell of Perdue instead or Faalele, who was clearly slipping. Unlike Patterson, Jones also returns punts.

Round 5, Pick 168: Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah
He's not Daniel Faalele, which is my biggest knock on the pick. Jones could be a very good OT3, and he comes at a good price.

I see another Trevis Gipson here, and if he's like Gipson, he could be ready to take over for Quinn next year. I see another Mack-esque return, which is not a bad thing.

Round 6, Pick 186: Zach Thomas, G, San Diego State
With Alex Bars gone to Vegas, the Bears got someone who could be a backup guard/tackle.

Round 6, Pick 203: Tresten Ebner, RB, Baylor
I see a replacement for Tarik Cohen in this pick, an excellent receiving threat out of the backfield who can also run the ball and return kicks.

Round 6, Pick 207: Doug Kramer, C, Illinois
This could be the guy who bumps Mustiphar - barring Mustiphar shaping up into at least an average center. Of, if Mustiphar walks as a free agent, he takes over.

Round 7, Pick 226: Ja'Tyre Carter, G, Southern
This is a pick I didn't get. Honestly, I would have gone for Alabama's Slade Bolden here, a good-hands receiver reminiscent of Tom Waddle. Maybe he can develop into a replacement for Whitehair.

Round 7, Pick 254: Elijah Hicks, DB California
At worst, he is training camp competition for Kindle Vildor. But both Dohnovan West and Alec Lindstrom were available.

Round 7, Pick 255: Trenton Gill, P, NC State
Well, if you couldn't get the God of Punting, he might be serviceable. But it may have been a better idea to just shell out to keep O'Donnell.

---

Overall, I give Poles a B+ for the draft. I don't like that he missed out on Faalele, who probably would have bumped one of Borom/Jenkins (preferably the latter) to swing tackle. It would have been a huge help to Fields, and I'd have taken Bell over Jones.

That said, the improvement in the secondary is going to be one of the biggest assists the Bears can give Fields. Yes, he is amazing on deep balls, and yes, he is a superb quarterback, but expecting Fields to take the whole team on his shoulders is a good way to wreck him. If the defense can shut down other teams, Fields doesn't have to do so much.

My downgrades are for what could have been done. A deal with Cleveland, giving them #71 overall for #78 and #108 could have given the Bears both Jones (given that he was seen as a reach by many experts at #71 overall) and Faalele, or maybe the Bears get Bell and Faalele, much more immediate help for Fields.

That said, a lot of the Day 3 picks could be very good backups or eventual starters. The Bears have done this before across multiple coaches (see Leno at OT, Bush and Houston-Carson at safety, Herbert at RB, etc.).

Still, Poles did a lot more than I'd have expected, and he kept Quinn. A very good draft.
I just do not think Faalele fits the new blocking scheme the Bears want to implement. That is why it is difficult mocking OL.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am concerned that they didn't do enough at the defensive tackle position and will get mauled in the run-game all season. The scheme they're playing requires a bunch of fresh linemen, and you need a bunch of them because they are undersized vs the people they will be playing across from.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
I am concerned that they didn't do enough at the defensive tackle position and will get mauled in the run-game all season. The scheme they're playing requires a bunch of fresh linemen, and you need a bunch of them because they are undersized vs the people they will be playing across from.
The 3-techs that could have made a difference were gone.

That said, I think that good DBs can make good 3-techs look very good. We had awesome D-Line personnel, but the secondary gave up a LOT of plays. Coverage sacks have been discussed for a long time, and I think that bumping Graham and Vildor to CB3 and CB4 respectively is a good thing. And Brisker at SS will allow Jackson to handle FS.

They probably will have to blitz more, but this puts the team in a position to sign - or draft - a good 3-technique next year.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Begun GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

CC: @ThatGuyRyan
ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Is this an act? Nobody can really like a 390 LB man with no movement skills this much right?
You’re wrong, bro! Gravity moved him plenty at the Senior Bowl practices — right on his back!

He looked like a water bug, one of them giant cockroaches, on his bag with his legs up in the air! And it didn’t happen just once!

greg23

Liked Posts:
I can't believe it took you this long for a falalalala post.

It's questionable if he'll be average in thr nfl but it's been abundantly clear he is the absolute opposite of what this staff wants in an oline....but hey; keep pounding the table for him.

I look forward to future trade proposals from you to acquire falalallaala