Nagy’s Dink and Dunk Offense Frustrated Marquise Goodwin

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You just don't understand Nagy's genius! RPO with Dalton is BRILLIANT because nobody will see it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

The Bears didn’t test the Rams defense, which ranked No. 1 in yards allowed last season. Andy Dalton had one pass attempt over 15 yards, while every other starting quarterback in the NFL had at last four.

Pathetic

it's good players are speaking up. Even if the Rams base defense is setup to stop the 20+ yard passes, it doesn't mean you don't have routes going that way. Some plays are setup by decoys to clear the field for the main targets.
Agreed.

Doesn't matter if the o was designed for the Rams. When it takes 10 plays+ for a TD, your very likely not getting there.
Again - it's like how Bears' defenses of the past forced opponents to do this. It worked well for them. Bears' O isn't good enough (yet, or isn't even allowing training wheels off)

Keeping the fastest WRs at the LOS banking on YAC with gimmick crap isn't their strength.

Tee

Beast Mode
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Houston Cougars
I agree, I hate watching this dink and dunk or duck offense. Not exciting to watch at all. That's why I'm on board the "Fire Matt Nagy" train. Bad News Besrs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree, I hate watching this dink and dunk or duck offense. Not exciting to watch at all. That's why I'm on board the "Fire Matt Nagy" train. Bad News Besrs.
There's nothing wrong with holding the ball and running clock but it's worthless if you don't take some shots and find the gaps under the safeties. Deep safeties don't compress a field to under 10 yards. If they do that, you can throw past them.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
There's nothing wrong with holding the ball and running clock but it's worthless if you don't take some shots and find the gaps under the safeties. Deep safeties don't compress a field to under 10 yards. If they do that, you can throw past them.
Holding the ball and running the clock is worthless when you are playing from behind and can’t put points up. Nagy was still call short passes when they were down by 10+ points.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Flooding zones, play action, high low the corner, deep outs, double moves(best setup throughout the game), trips with iso matchups on the other side, four vert routes. You know, basic football stuff that every other team the Rams face this year will do.
They did try some of the things including a double move given Mooney burned Ramsey or one last year but the Rams didn't bite. Go watch the below which has all-22 tape and you will see the Rams had guys over the top on the majority of plays. You will also see plenty of guys open underneath and on the critical downs the issue was not that the guys were not open, the issue is Dalton made the wrong read or the OL caused quick pressure.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
They did try some of the things including a double move given Mooney burned Ramsey or one last year but the Rams didn't bite. Go watch the below which has all-22 tape and you will see the Rams had guys over the top on the majority of plays. You will also see plenty of guys open underneath and on the critical downs the issue was not that the guys were not open, the issue is Dalton made the wrong read or the OL caused quick pressure.

BTW, I appreciate your researched responses. I have admittedly been going off a lot of memory, particularly from last year, and have not seen the all 22 from the recent Rams game.

One point I'm curious on, since I don't know the source you used for your % of intermediate or deep ball throws, what did that look like in the games Lazor called? And/or games they put up say 24+ points.

The reason I ask, is there is a lot of context in whether the throws were in 2 min drills or garbage time, etc. My concern is just from Nagy being slow to adjust, or stubborn to adjust and/or his tendency to abandon what's working.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
BTW, I appreciate your researched responses. I have admittedly been going off a lot of memory, particularly from last year, and have not seen the all 22 from the recent Rams game.

One point I'm curious on, since I don't know the source you used for your % of intermediate or deep ball throws, what did that look like in the games Lazor called? And/or games they put up say 24+ points.

The reason I ask, is there is a lot of context in whether the throws were in 2 min drills or garbage time, etc. My concern is just from Nagy being slow to adjust, or stubborn to adjust and/or his tendency to abandon what's working.

Lazor took over playcalling for the Nov 16 Minny game so the 2 Packers games would be the ones under Lazor. All the others would be Nagy. The Saints playoff game, I believe it was reported that Nagy had taken back playcalling for that game.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Lazor took over playcalling for the Nov 16 Minny game so the 2 Packers games would be the ones under Lazor. All the others would be Nagy. The Saints playoff game, I believe it was reported that Nagy had taken back playcalling for that game.
I thought Nagy called plays in the second packer game?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought Nagy called plays in the second packer game?

I couldn't not find a reference to it but it is possible. I only vaguely recall the WC game but not sure if that was ever confirmed either.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goodwin better pray for a better O line. He was talking to the wrong group. Rams rushed 5 all game long and one is unstoppable 1 on 1, Donald, who gave Whitehair fits... basically Whitehair could not block Donald 1 on 1 in passing plays, but the Rams rushed 5, no way not to have the 1 on 1.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I couldn't not find a reference to it but it is possible. I only vaguely recall the WC game but not sure if that was ever confirmed either.
Nagy confirmed after the WC he called plays. He sidestepped it in week 17 and said he was back involved but it was collaborative or some nonsense. When you look at the game, it looked like him again instead of Lazor.

Most around here speculated it was him, but I only see blogs stating as fact that he did in week 17, and I don't find most of them credible, for confirmation on something like that.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Further, I don't ever recall Nagy orchestrating an offense against a good D last year that essentially made it deep in the opponent's half 7 times in a single game. Please point me to another game against a good defense where that happened. The fact is the game plan worked in generating scoring opportunities at a rate we rarely saw last year. The issue again is Dalton made stupid fucking reads when it mattered and there were lapses on the OL.

We scored points on 2 of 7 drives that got past the 50 yard line which is an abysmal number. 1 drive ended because of PI that the refs failed to call, 1 ended in a dumb pick where Dalton stared down his WR, 1 ended when Dalton missed a wide open Kmet, 1 ended when Peters decided not to block anyone on 4th down, and 1 ended when Dalton had a chance to throw it but waited until Donald bowled over Whitehair. That is between 15-35 points left on the field. The dink and dunk is boring as hell but it was working.
Sounds like Dalton was the major problem. Who ran him out there as starter? Ah yes, Nagy did. Dink and dunk wasnt working because Nagys game plan it was working because ITS WHAT THE RAMS GAVE US! When we got into their territory it was completely ineffective. Ill let you figure out why.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sounds like Dalton was the major problem. Who ran him out there as starter? Ah yes, Nagy did. Dink and dunk wasnt working because Nagys game plan it was working because ITS WHAT THE RAMS GAVE US! When we got into their territory it was completely ineffective. Ill let you figure out why.

I already figured out why in the OP. Dalton missed easy reads and throws and the OL fucked up. I also already said it is fair game to play starting Dalton on Nagy.