Nagy’s Dink and Dunk Offense Frustrated Marquise Goodwin

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Track stars for 3 yard sideline outs
If you accept the fact that every Bears player is lined up as a decoy, no matter the position, the easier life gets. Talented rook QB, let's hand the ball off. Undersized speed receivers, let's have them block a DE. Overpaid TE, let's play him only 14 times. Immobile QB, let's run the RPO.

I just want whatever Nagy is smoking.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard the players didn't execute the plan to perfection...so its not really Nagy's fault.....

3 yard curl....you'd better execute the remaining 7 Mr Player.....Nagy is the man. How dare you question the ultimate game plan every week.....your first 4 quarterbacks can't get the job done...get a 5th.....keep getting more until Nagy's genius is realized

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
TE jet sweep?

Fuck you Mr TE...RUN FASTER!

midget on 4th and short?

Better BULK UP FOR THAT ONE PLAY!

jts1207

Liked Posts:

The Bears didn’t test the Rams defense, which ranked No. 1 in yards allowed last season. Andy Dalton had one pass attempt over 15 yards, while every other starting quarterback in the NFL had at last four.

Pathetic

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was the gameplan for the Rams. It will not be the gameplan against all teams. Nagy's O threw deep a lot last year. Combined Trubisky and Foles threw deep 74 times last year which would have ranked 5th last year ahead of Mahomes and behind Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, and Big Ben. The problem was that they were god awful at it not that Nagy didn't call deep plays. Trubisky threw intermediate or deep routes 37% of the time last year and Foles 27% of the time. Dalton threw intermediate or deep routes around 5% of the time and that consisted of zero deep passes and a couple intermediate passes. So Trubisky and Foles threw deep or intermediate like 5-7 times more than Dalton. This was a gameplan designed specifically for the Rams. It is not the gameplan for all 17 games this season.

Further, I don't ever recall Nagy orchestrating an offense against a good D last year that essentially made it deep in the opponent's half 7 times in a single game. Please point me to another game against a good defense where that happened. The fact is the game plan worked in generating scoring opportunities at a rate we rarely saw last year. The issue again is Dalton made stupid fucking reads when it mattered and there were lapses on the OL.

We scored points on 2 of 7 drives that got past the 50 yard line which is an abysmal number. 1 drive ended because of PI that the refs failed to call, 1 ended in a dumb pick where Dalton stared down his WR, 1 ended when Dalton missed a wide open Kmet, 1 ended when Peters decided not to block anyone on 4th down, and 1 ended when Dalton had a chance to throw it but waited until Donald bowled over Whitehair. That is between 15-35 points left on the field. The dink and dunk is boring as hell but it was working.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It was the gameplan for the Rams. It will not be the gameplan against all teams. Nagy's O threw deep a lot last year. Combined Trubisky and Foles threw deep 74 times last year which would have ranked 5th last year ahead of Mahomes and behind Brady, Ryan, Rodgers, and Big Ben. The problem was that they were god awful at it not that Nagy didn't call deep plays. Trubisky threw intermediate or deep routes 37% of the time last year and Foles 27% of the time. Dalton threw intermediate or deep routes around 5% of the time and that consisted of zero deep passes and a couple intermediate passes. So Trubisky and Foles threw deep or intermediate like 5-7 times more than Dalton. This was a gameplan designed specifically for the Rams. It is not the gameplan for all 17 games this season.

Further, I don't ever recall Nagy orchestrating an offense against a good D last year that essentially made it deep in the opponent's half 7 times in a single game. Please point me to another game against a good defense where that happened. The fact is the game plan worked in generating scoring opportunities at a rate we rarely saw last year. The issue again is Dalton made stupid fucking reads when it mattered and there were lapses on the OL.

We scored points on 2 of 7 drives that got past the 50 yard line which is an abysmal number. 1 drive ended because of PI that the refs failed to call, 1 ended in a dumb pick where Dalton stared down his WR, 1 ended when Dalton missed a wide open Kmet, 1 ended when Peters decided not to block anyone on 4th down, and 1 ended when Dalton had a chance to throw it but waited until Donald bowled over Whitehair. That is between 15-35 points left on the field. The dink and dunk is boring as hell but it was working.
As far as I'm concerned not putting points on the board and poor execution reflects on the coaching staff and is an ongoing trend with them.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As far as I'm concerned not putting points on the board and poor execution reflects on the coaching staff and is an ongoing trend with them.

That isn't the topic. The topic is the gameplan and playcalling. Nothing you said changes the fact that the reason they didn't put up points is because the Vet QB fucked up 3 times and the OL twice.

Now if you want to blame Nagy for playing the Vet QB playing then fair game but the playcalling itself on those plays were largely fine.

Bust

Liked Posts:

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
it's good players are speaking up. Even if the Rams base defense is setup to stop the 20+ yard passes, it doesn't mean you don't have routes going that way. Some plays are setup by decoys to clear the field for the main targets.
Exactly. And you get a receiver like Robinson to win contested catches and 1 on 1 matchups, not run 5 yard routes. Nagy practiced against Fangio's defense and most average coaches would've picked up on a thing or two in that time about playing his two deep shell.

Every time Nagy plays a good team it's this scared game planning. Goodwin is one game in and sick if it, good for him. I'm glad he's not scared to compete like our coach.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doesn't matter if the o was designed for the Rams. When it takes 10 plays+ for a TD, your very likely not getting there.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I agree with that buy you still have to take a deep shot, to keep them honest. Go Max protect and take a shot or two. You cant keep throwing short without making them respect a deep pass.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Every time Nagy plays a good team it's this scared game planning. Goodwin is one game in and sick if it, good for him. I'm glad he's not scared to compete like our coach.

This simply isn't true. They threw intermediate and deep a decent amount of the time as again Foles and Trubisky combined were 5th in the NFL in deep attempts. The problem is that collectively their completion percentage sucked.

TB - Foles threw intermediate or deep on 31 percent of throws.
Rams - 30%
Saints - 24%
Titans - 23%
Packers - 37%
Packers - 17%
Saints - 37%

Last year you had a lot of teams that clamped down on the short stuff and forced the Bears to attack deep counting on Foles and Trubisky fucking it up. They usually did.

Last edited: