Nagy confirms they will install some of the OSU plays/concepts to give Fields a head start

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm gonna be pissed if Nagy runs a lotta Spread Option crap and gets Fields hurt and or banged up:mad:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It's gonna be interesting. That's for sure..
I expect to see an improved offense with fields and hopefully a balanced attack, but it’s always concerning when you know the HC is gonna have a lot of instances shooting him self in the foot and calling plays and personnel groupings not conducive to the situation. Normally, you want your HC to put everyone in the best position to succeed

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
2020 to 2021 was 2 tackles. Done with a 2nd and 5th round pick.

True, it would be nice if the Bears had tons of 1st round picks to replace every offensive line starting position, but that is not the reality with most teams. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't try because you don't have them.

Ifedi was a cheap deal. There should have been more resources used to address the offensive line issues.

Well, they have now added some more depth. Hopefully, the offense improves as a whole.
just because you draft a tackle in the 5th round does not mean 1) he will actually play tackle or 2) contribute anything at all at any position.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
jesus christ. bears fans need to let this die already. he’s not sean payton or andy reid but he undeniably was asked to make chicken salad out of chicken shit the last few seasons.

I started as a Nagy fan in 2018, but have HATED a lot of his BS and stubbornness since, as well as his apparent total lack of accountability. The entire OL struggled with his concepts (not just Leno & Massie, but those 2 were the massive holes). I do blame Nagy for not coaching them up right. Hopefully the talent fits and he's learned to adjust better b/c he absolutely failed to adjust to his guys the last few years. It's been putrid.

Let's just hope & pray that these new guys bring in their own higher demands of toughness and execution that Nagy failed to. I can absolutely see Fields, Jenkins, and even Borom at RT each manning the fuck up and getting on the others to know what they're doing and give it their all. They won't put up with guys walking around when they can & should race to the ball to lay another block. (note Fields running 50 yards downfield to lay a block for his guy)

I'm really hoping Nagy is just so used to things working and working his KC way that he will be able to rock it with better talent. Worst case if not, These new guys will outlast his tenure here.

I honestly hope Fields calls out Nagy for BS plays if he has to. Riley Ridley got put in the doghouse for doing it apparently, but Fields will have the pull to do it. "The TRUTH, where least accepted, is needed most".

Last edited:

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Fields is a natural fit for Nagy's RPO offense so wont be hard to design stuff for him.

Dalton is better with play action ala Trubs so really I would expect Lazor to design the concepts for Dalton and Nagy to do so for Fields.
Nate Tice feels otherwise and said that Fields is not suited to run a lot of RPOs and that we will not see a lot of them in the game plan when he starts playing fulltime. I think had some thing to do with his big windup even though he still has a fast delivery.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Bears need to protect fields up front and I don’t think they could even get overly aggressive. Keep him clean and develop a deep stable of OL talent. Could never be too deep there. Fields struggled when pressured. Not to say he can’t improve, but if you see a weakness, protect your investment and make OL a major strength

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
just because you draft a tackle in the 5th round does not mean 1) he will actually play tackle or 2) contribute anything at all at any position.
Well, shucks. That is new to me.

Of course not. But it is attempting to take a chance on improving the offensive line.

The Bears can draft high draft position offensive linemen who are not guaranteed to be successful (though the chance is better), draft mid round offensive linemen (common because teams do not have tons of high-end draft picks to fill their roster with stud offensive linemen), take a lottery ticket 6th or 7th round offensive linemen (like they took 2 last year), pickup a failed offensive lineman from another team (Ifedi), carry on with what you have and keep paying (and over-paying them) them to be on the team or pay for a high level and high salary free agent.

With a small amount of salary cap remaining, the most logical is a 3rd - 5th round offensive lineman. It is the best balance of chance-to-succeed (at least for a season or two) versus low salary cap hit. This allows a better chance of finding a cheap starter, time to get a better replacement if the player does not pan out while not suffering to big of a draft expense.

Leno was a great find because he was a really low level draft pick who was able to man the more important LT position. What the Bears did wrong was to treat him like a great LT even as his play started dropping.

The best GMs know that the best strategy is to invest in the big uglies (a franchise QB too, obviously). Improved offensive and defensive line play will keep a team in games.

The Bears had made too few investments in the line over the years.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Just listen to the interview and he sounds like a coach that is grown over the Mitch trubisky experience.

It's kind of interesting because there are coaches in GMS who really failed their first time out, and then from that experience go to a new team and end up being pretty good because of all the things they learned from their first stop about what works and what doesn't.

More and more I'm getting a feel for Matt and Ryan that they are the same way but we as Bears fans are fortunate enough that regardless of whether you feel it's patience or stupidity, our ownership is keeping them around long enough to do this again in order to move forward.

And what I am thinking is the reason they are staying is because both of them privately to ownership when their jobs were on the line opened up about what they felt they did wrong in the first go round and how they could do it better the second go round, and it was substantial enough that it convinced ownership to give them a crack at it.

It's really weird but we could be looking at a situation where 10 years from now we are saying the best decision ownership ever made was to not fire pace and nagy, because by the time they drafted Justin fields, both of them figured it out and started getting it more right than not.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Won't trust it until I see it. Nagy hasn't shown anything that instills confidence in his ability to use talent correctly.
Bingo.

I'm betting we are on a coaching search before too much longer. Fields will expose it to the homers that cannot see it already. (Or don't want to see it.)

Look, I'm all for letting Nagy prove he's catching on...but it's painfully obvious he was an over-hired QB coach w/o much experience. Leave it to the Bears to primarily hire a guy because of the hype of his coaching tree...lol.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
he also just drafted justin fields. Foles cost a 4th round pick he didn’t exactly mortgage the future. Nagy’s first two years we didn’t have a first round draft pick...? how are you supposed to replace tackles without a first round draft pick?
They have rounds 2 thru 7 to find a tackle.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just don't want to see any of that horizontal bullshit. I'm hoping Nagy was only doing that because Mitch couldn't hit anyone down the field. I'm hoping with Fields that they go deep and go deep often. Resurrect the "Fuck it, I'm going deep" club

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I just don't want to see any of that horizontal bullshit. I'm hoping Nagy was only doing that because Mitch couldn't hit anyone down the field. I'm hoping with Fields that they go deep and go deep often. Resurrect the "Fuck it, I'm going deep" club
Horizontal routes are much more effective when there is an effective vertical attack to complement it

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bingo.

I'm betting we are on a coaching search before too much longer. Fields will expose it to the homers that cannot see it already. (Or don't want to see it.)

Look, I'm all for letting Nagy prove he's catching on...but it's painfully obvious he was an over-hired QB coach w/o much experience. Leave it to the Bears to primarily hire a guy because of the hype of his coaching tree...lol.
The only tiny sliver I hope I have for Nagy's offense comes from the fact that both Wilson and Stafford listed the Bears as a preferred destination.

Why would two legitimate QB's want to come to Chicago to play in this catastrophic offense? Is it that they both see something we didn't?

Other than that I can't stand Nagy and his arrogant BS. IMO he got outcoached by his OC last year and it hurt his little feelers so he took back his ball and didn't let him play with it anymore. That pissed me off more than anything else he has done here.

I hope he turns this offense around and my distain for Nagy proves to be misguided because that would be what is best for the Bears.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The only tiny sliver I hope I have for Nagy's offense comes from the fact that both Wilson and Stafford listed the Bears as a preferred destination.

Why would two legitimate QB's want to come to Chicago to play in this catastrophic offense? Is it that they both see something we didn't?

Other than that I can't stand Nagy and his arrogant BS. IMO he got outcoached by his OC last year and it hurt his little feelers so he took back his ball and didn't let him play with it anymore. That pissed me off more than anything else he has done here.

I hope he turns this offense around and my distain for Nagy proves to be misguided because that would be what is best for the Bears.

I really am starting to believe that Nagy made a mess of the offense on purpose to expose Trubisky so he could go out and get a legit real franchise QB.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Just listen to the interview and he sounds like a coach that is grown over the Mitch trubisky experience.

It's kind of interesting because there are coaches in GMS who really failed their first time out, and then from that experience go to a new team and end up being pretty good because of all the things they learned from their first stop about what works and what doesn't.

More and more I'm getting a feel for Matt and Ryan that they are the same way but we as Bears fans are fortunate enough that regardless of whether you feel it's patience or stupidity, our ownership is keeping them around long enough to do this again in order to move forward.

And what I am thinking is the reason they are staying is because both of them privately to ownership when their jobs were on the line opened up about what they felt they did wrong in the first go round and how they could do it better the second go round, and it was substantial enough that it convinced ownership to give them a crack at it.

It's really weird but we could be looking at a situation where 10 years from now we are saying the best decision ownership ever made was to not fire pace and nagy, because by the time they drafted Justin fields, both of them figured it out and started getting it more right than not.
I hope that Nagy is learning, because last year his personnel groupings were totally off the mark for situational awareness.

I actually think that if he looked at his performance objectively last year, he would see that during the time frame last year when Lazor was calling plays, the flow was better, and he could focus on being a head coach.

MAYBE a part of the conversation with Ownership was that if they see mistakes as a play caller, that they will be honest enough to tell him and he agreed that he would be willing to pull in Lazor sooner if needed.

I think Nagy is intelligent enough to learn....but I am concerned that if he feels that his job is on the line he is going to want to be the person calling the plays so he feels that he went down swinging......ego.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Lazor has way more experience and had more success as an offense coach at this level:

As a coach:

Nagy:

As a coach: