Nagy confirms they will install some of the OSU plays/concepts to give Fields a head start

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I hope that Nagy is learning, because last year his personnel groupings were totally off the mark for situational awareness.

I actually think that if he looked at his performance objectively last year, he would see that during the time frame last year when Lazor was calling plays, the flow was better, and he could focus on being a head coach.

MAYBE a part of the conversation with Ownership was that if they see mistakes as a play caller, that they will be honest enough to tell him and he agreed that he would be willing to pull in Lazor sooner if needed.

I think Nagy is intelligent enough to learn....but I am concerned that if he feels that his job is on the line he is going to want to be the person calling the plays so he feels that he went down swinging......ego.
That's no way to properly build/install an offense though. It would just show that he really didn't learn from his mistakes in years past....that he NEEDS to be the HC - first and foremost - and that him trying to do two jobs makes the team weaker overall.

He's already said he's calling plays again this year, which made sense when it seemed like his job depended on him winning this year. Now, with the assumption that they may have bought themselves more time, it's starting to look like he just can't get over his addiction to wanting to call plays.

I think he's walking down that road, where the guy that is supposed to be thinking strategically for the team as a whole on game day, managing the clock, noticing tendencies and feeling out the flow of the game holistically is gonna be totally distracted by his obsession with the passing offense.

Which is double dumb when you have at least 2 other guys qualified to be OC's in Lazor and Fillippo.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really am starting to believe that Nagy made a mess of the offense on purpose to expose Trubisky so he could go out and get a legit real franchise QB.
The offense wasn't any better with Foles tho. Although in that case, you could blame the oline. When Foles was QB, I saw Mooney open a couple of times and Foles either didn't have time to throw him the ball, or maybe he just didn't have the accuracy or strength to get him the ball.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
That's no way to properly build/install an offense though. It would just show that he really didn't learn from his mistakes in years past....that he NEEDS to be the HC - first and foremost - and that him trying to do two jobs makes the team weaker overall.

He's already said he's calling plays again this year, which made sense when it seemed like his job depended on him winning this year. Now, with the assumption that they may have bought themselves more time, it's starting to look like he just can't get over his addiction to wanting to call plays.

I think he's walking down that road, where the guy that is supposed to be thinking strategically for the team as a whole on game day, managing the clock, noticing tendencies and feeling out the flow of the game holistically is gonna be totally distracted by his obsession with the passing offense.

Which is double dumb when you have at least 2 other guys qualified to be OC's in Lazor and Fillippo.
Spot on!!

I am critical of Nagy, and for good reason, but I want him to succeed, because if he can figure it out, then the Bears are on a great track to be a legit contender!!

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Spot on!!

I am critical of Nagy, and for good reason, but I want him to succeed, because if he can figure it out, then the Bears are on a great track to be a legit contender!!
It's possible. He's def going to have to be better in a few areas for the offense to move forward in a productive way.

I think a big issue has been that he's straight up addicted to splash plays. Walk before you can crawl my dude and get this offense to average first. Get the basics right (blocking, scheme, situational awareness), bring your talent along properly (use your personnel correctly) and build UP to being great.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It's possible. He's def going to have to be better in a few areas for the offense to move forward in a productive way.

I think a big issue has been that he's straight up addicted to splash plays. Walk before you can crawl my dude and get this offense to average first. Get the basics right (blocking, scheme, situational awareness), bring your talent along properly (use your personnel correctly) and build UP to being great.
Agree, and I honestly think that if he was able to walk away from the play calling, he could become a BETTER HC....

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I hope that Nagy is learning, because last year his personnel groupings were totally off the mark for situational awareness.

I actually think that if he looked at his performance objectively last year, he would see that during the time frame last year when Lazor was calling plays, the flow was better, and he could focus on being a head coach.

MAYBE a part of the conversation with Ownership was that if they see mistakes as a play caller, that they will be honest enough to tell him and he agreed that he would be willing to pull in Lazor sooner if needed.

I think Nagy is intelligent enough to learn....but I am concerned that if he feels that his job is on the line he is going to want to be the person calling the plays so he feels that he went down swinging......ego.
One thing that no one ever really gives Credence to but can have a severe impact is just how poor Mitch trubisky was.

In some capacity we can all agree Mitch trubisky was a limiting factor.

But what if it was in a larger capacity than most people give credit for?

That is not to completely scapegoat nagy because I do think he's learned from some things.

But what if things weren't as black and white as we all make it out to be with regards to his scheme?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
One thing that no one ever really gives Credence to but can have a severe impact is just how poor Mitch trubisky was.

In some capacity we can all agree Mitch trubisky was a limiting factor.

But what if it was in a larger capacity than most people give credit for?

That is not to completely scapegoat nagy because I do think he's learned from some things.

But what if things weren't as black and white as we all make it out to be with regards to his scheme?
I dont think it is fair to make light of mitch being poor. I'm sure his parents worked hard. There is nothing wrong with a camry

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As long as Nagy never calls plays again that’s fine

He will call plays again. Might as well come to terms with it now. 2018 Nagy when Trubs was competent was ok. Fields should make it much better.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He will call plays again. Might as well come to terms with it now. 2018 Nagy when Trubs was competent was ok. Fields should make it much better.
I know he’s gonna call plays which is the problem. 18 was ok at best….the run game regressed, they couldn’t put together a complete 4 quarters, and the defense put them in great position consistently. Nagy relied on a lot of gimmick/trick plays that they were honestly lucky to get away with most of the time. That was never sustainable. Then in 19/20, Nagy went away from everything that brought any success, and doubled down on plays that continually failed and had no chance of working. The run game got worse and worse after 18 and It took bill lazor to show everyone that the bears actually could score points (against shitty teams) but it was more than Nagy ever showed us. Nagy has more than demonstrated that he’s terrible.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know he’s gonna call plays which is the problem. 18 was ok at best….the run game regressed, they couldn’t put together a complete 4 quarters, and the defense put them in great position consistently. Nagy relied on a lot of gimmick/trick plays that they were honestly lucky to get away with most of the time. That was never sustainable. Then in 19/20, Nagy went away from everything that brought any success, and doubled down on plays that continually failed and had no chance of working. The run game got worse and worse after 18 and It took bill lazor to show everyone that the bears actually could score points (against shitty teams) but it was more than Nagy ever showed us. Nagy has more than demonstrated that he’s terrible.

The run game in 18 regressed because Nagy wanted to run more power which the OL and Howard was not suited for. They went from 80% zone and 20% power/gap under Fox to 55% zone and 45% power/gap. The problem was Howard was getting 4.1 YPC in zone but only 2.9 YPC in power/gap. At the end of the season when he went back to zone, Howard's stats improved. The reason for going power/gap is it disguises the RPO better. He then drafted a RB better suited for power/gap but did not draft or sign the OL that were better suited for that and so Monty struggled. Whereas Howard was more of a Shanny back built to cutback away from the intended hole, Monty doesn't have that sort of vision and likes to hit the hole as intended which doesn't work if your finesse OL is always getting overpowered at the point of attack. Thus, enter Jenkins and Borom who are massive OL prospects with a mean streak built for more power/gap but with hopefully enough movement skills to still work in zone.

As for the pass game, the problem was Trubs came out of college as an almost exclusively shotgun, RPO QB who was accurate and known for hitting people in stride. That is the O Nagy was brought in to run. That is the Mitch he was brought in to coach because that was the Mitch that up to that point was the only Mitch anyone had ever seen. For some inexplicable reason Trubs ended up sucking at the very thing he was drafted for and instead ended up being better under center and with play action. The problem is that is not Nagy's Offense. A more experienced and diversified Coach may have been able to adjust but Nagy was neither. He was a young guy whose only experience was largely in a single system. His original OC Helfrich was also specifically brought in to bring the spread concepts that came from college and that Mitch was specifically drafted for. So the fact Mitch turned into a play action QB who sucked at the spread and RPO concepts caught Nagy off guard. It is clear he realized this because that was the whole point of hiring Lazor whose system was more play action oriented.

So yes Nagy sucked donkey balls adjusting but he was never a coach that was brought in because he could run multiple systems. He was brought in to run his system. So the fact he failed trying to do something else is largely irrelevant now because now he has the QB, OL, RB and WRs to actually run his offense.

So this is a tale of two Nagys. We know he sucks when he doesn't have the players to run his system and we know he does not have the knowledge base to run different systems. There is no point continuing to cry over that fact. The milk has been spilt and the guys that were a poor fit for his system are largely gone. Now he has guys that presumably fit his system and now we will see how good he is running his system as intended. If he continues to suck then he should be fired.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Not even a generic mention of Foles in the QB competition by Nagy lol.

What a waste of a roster spot and cap hit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not even a generic mention of Foles in the QB competition by Nagy lol.

What a waste of a roster spot and cap hit.

Foles if he sticks around will be judged based on how Fields progresses. Dalton at the end of the day probably still feels like he is competing to hold off Fields as long as possible. Foles understands he is done as a starter here and given he has the most time in Nagy's system, he will be critical IMO in helping Fields digest the playbook.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
The run game in 18 regressed because Nagy wanted to run more power which the OL and Howard was not suited for. They went from 80% zone and 20% power/gap under Fox to 55% zone and 45% power/gap. The problem was Howard was getting 4.1 YPC in zone but only 2.9 YPC in power/gap. At the end of the season when he went back to zone, Howard's stats improved. The reason for going power/gap is it disguises the RPO better. He then drafted a RB better suited for power/gap but did not draft or sign the OL that were better suited for that and so Monty struggled. Whereas Howard was more of a Shanny back built to cutback away from the intended hole, Monty doesn't have that sort of vision and likes to hit the hole as intended which doesn't work if your finesse OL is always getting overpowered at the point of attack. Thus, enter Jenkins and Borom who are massive OL prospects with a mean streak built for more power/gap but with hopefully enough movement skills to still work in zone.

As for the pass game, the problem was Trubs came out of college as an almost exclusively shotgun, RPO QB who was accurate and known for hitting people in stride. That is the O Nagy was brought in to run. That is the Mitch he was brought in to coach because that was the Mitch that up to that point was the only Mitch anyone had ever seen. For some inexplicable reason Trubs ended up sucking at the very thing he was drafted for and instead ended up being better under center and with play action. The problem is that is not Nagy's Offense. A more experienced and diversified Coach may have been able to adjust but Nagy was neither. He was a young guy whose only experience was largely in a single system. His original OC Helfrich was also specifically brought in to bring the spread concepts that came from college and that Mitch was specifically drafted for. So the fact Mitch turned into a play action QB who sucked at the spread and RPO concepts caught Nagy off guard. It is clear he realized this because that was the whole point of hiring Lazor whose system was more play action oriented.

So yes Nagy sucked donkey balls adjusting but he was never a coach that was brought in because he could run multiple systems. He was brought in to run his system. So the fact he failed trying to do something else is largely irrelevant now because now he has the QB, OL, RB and WRs to actually run his offense.

So this is a tale of two Nagys. We know he sucks when he doesn't have the players to run his system and we know he does not have the knowledge base to run different systems. There is no point continuing to cry over that fact. The milk has been spilt and the guys that were a poor fit for his system are largely gone. Now he has guys that presumably fit his system and now we will see how good he is running his system as intended. If he continues to suck then he should be fired.
Fair but I’m calling suck though. QB can’t save him from all his blunders

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't wanna see any spread option garbage

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fair but I’m calling suck though. QB can’t save him from all his blunders
I have hated on Nagy more than most as I was critical of him in 2018 when people were giddy over all his trick plays so it is entirely possible he will suck. At this point, I just don't see the point of harping on it. What will be will be. All that matters to me right now is Justin Fields developing into a stud.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't wanna see any spread option garbage

You will be disappointed. Spread option is what Fields ran quite a bit at OSU. Think it matters more if he wants to see it not you.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Look I don't want him taking unnecessary hits and potentially getting HURT. Ya got that
Majority of teams run some spread option including some of the best such as KC and Seattle. The key is that fields is smart in handling it how those qbs do

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I have hated on Nagy more than most as I was critical of him in 2018 when people were giddy over all his trick plays so it is entirely possible he will suck. At this point, I just don't see the point of harping on it. What will be will be. All that matters to me right now is Justin Fields developing into a stud.
Agreed. I think everyone in halas is locked in on that. We’ll see what happens.