Nagy definitively says Fields can’t win the starting job for Week 1

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Reas about 5 posts. Just glad CCS is back to it's dick ripping ways. The way it should be.
All this positivity and contentment with the bears was kind of worrying me after Fields was drafted. Let the dick ripping commence.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The two question marks on the team are Jenkins and whoever plays center. Even so, they have enough game tape on Mustipher and he looked good enough to play the part. The Bears know what they have in Whitehair, James and Ifedi already.

So why is it so ignorant to believe that the line couldn’t be better with one newcomer? With that newcomer taking over the weakest link.
Jenkins is a rookie, Mustapher is Meh, as is Ifedi, Daniels is coming off an injury and has never played RG. Not to mention only one preseason injury to any of these and the whole thing crumbles like a house of cards. Then there is the fact that the preseason is now shorter by one game, leaving less time than ever to sort it all out.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Jenkins is a rookie, Mustapher is Meh, as is Ifedi, Daniels is coming off an injury and has never played RG. Not to mention only one preseason injury to any of these and the whole thing crumbles like a house of cards. Then there is the fact that the preseason is now shorter by one game, leaving less time than ever to sort it all out.
Yes Jenkins is a rookie and the biggest unknown of the group. Mustipher was more than Meh last season. Ifedi is what he is but better than Massie and Leno. Daniels made the switch from C in college to LG in the NFL. I think he can handle the switch to RG.

Just like any of the 32 teams, an injury to the O line can really hurt the offense. Nagy hardly plays his starters in the preseason anyways, they have all TC to get ready.

The point is this group is not going to be worse than last season.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Personally have no issues against it. I want to see how that oline holds against real defenses before Fields comes into play. I'd be just as happy with Fields starting week 1 as well

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes Jenkins is a rookie and the biggest unknown of the group. Mustipher was more than Meh last season. Ifedi is what he is but better than Massie and Leno. Daniels made the switch from C in college to LG in the NFL. I think he can handle the switch to RG.

Just like any of the 32 teams, an injury to the O line can really hurt the offense. Nagy hardly plays his starters in the preseason anyways, they have all TC to get ready.

Certainly not. There's still a lot of acclimation/ coordination involved with all those moving parts but they're finally in their best spots, depending on Jenkins ability to play LT. I really like what Mustipher brought to the group but he was meh with his own assignments. Should be better this year but there's no givens and week one we'll see how he does against Donald.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He can't win the job in camp but he can in preseason. He can't win the job in camp but Dalton can lose it. Semantics.
are you just assuming that's he means or that Nagy said he could win it in preseason?

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

Nagy didn’t play starters at all so in theory the bears will have 3 extra games to figure it out.

Caveroamer

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So if Dalton gets injured does that mean Nagy will require himself to start Foles?
No if Dalton gets injured then the #2 QB goes in which is Fields. That is not "winning the #1 job" in and of itself.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If we are going to parse words, what Nagy said doesn't mean Fields can't win it in Pre Season. Just not Camp...
No. Read the quote.

He was asked specifically about Fields not being able to win the job for Week 1, and his response was unambiguous. He never said anything about “training camp.”

Silverman: “We want clarification on whether that means Justin Fields cannot win the job on Opening Day.”

Nagy: “Clarification that he can’t win it—Yes, correct.”

He absolutely could be lying, but there is literally no other way to take what Nagy said.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
And if Fields blows up then Nagy will simply change his mind.
That’s absolutely possible. Hey, look, Nagy could be lying out his ass here. But I’m talking purely about what he said, which is completely definitive and unambiguous.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, fuck them. Trying to buy themselves some time. No damn promises, why not at least let him compete and win/lose. Just bullshit. Way to energize the fan base. Nothing against Dalton, just don’t suppress the rookie on purpose and let the best QB play.

So much for doing what’s best for the Bears. You are giving him 0 shot. Hope the national media annihilates this bullshit. Feast away.

This is not even in the same realm as KC, fucker.
Lol at thinking any NFL rookie QB could legitimately beat out Dalton.

You don't go with the rookie to win, you go with them to develop. Nagy isn't ready for that and doesn't see the benefits out weighing the risks and lost season...YET.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Personally have no issues against it. I want to see how that oline holds against real defenses before Fields comes into play. I'd be just as happy with Fields starting week 1 as well
be careful, you’ve just triggered all of CCS with one post

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Mustipher struggled against stronger DL men. he was meh. he has the brains for it but he needs to take the next step physically.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

I think that video may have given Matt Nagy second degree burns.
i could buy this arrogance argument if he wasn’t widely tied to Fields by all analysts.

also fuck the mitch trubisky talk, the NFL made their opinion on him widely known after he signed to hold Josh Allen’s coffee in Buffalo.

wouldn’t the arrogant thing to do would be to start Fields no matter what? this was literally his draft pick.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
This is the fall of Nagy already. Pace should just fire his ass now. If Fields outplays Dalton in pre-season and camp, and Nagy still pulls this bullshit, he loses the team and god knows how long that sets Fields back.

Nagy is still a putz.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
rolling out a rookie QB with a rookie LT and question marks all over the offensive line against aaron donald, leonard floyd, and jalen ramsey on the road in week 1 on prime time sounds like probably the stupidest thing you could ever do.

what is so wrong with waiting to see if the offensive line is even functional before throwing the franchise savior to the wolves?
We get it, you're a scared man child...maybe the players actually have balls and WANT to face that kind of defense? You just sound like a dude with a loser's mentality and you want the Bears to lose just for the fuck of it.

If Fields is ready, and the rest of the team knows it, how does it help anyone on the team to stroll shithead Dalton out there...just cause some of the fans are scared?

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
i could buy this arrogance argument if he wasn’t widely tied to Fields by all analysts.

also fuck the mitch trubisky talk, the NFL made their opinion on him widely known after he signed to hold Josh Allen’s coffee in Buffalo.

wouldn’t the arrogant thing to do would be to start Fields no matter what? this was literally his draft pick.
Mitch went there to unlearn all the bullshit Nagy put in his head. Hopefully he doesn't totally fuck up Fields before a new coach can be found.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Mitch went there to unlearn all the bullshit Nagy put in his head. Hopefully he doesn't totally fuck up Fields before a new coach can be found.
that explains why he’s making like $2M to sit on the bench, because Nagy was the problem.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Lol at thinking any NFL rookie QB could legitimately beat out Dalton.

You don't go with the rookie to win, you go with them to develop. Nagy isn't ready for that and doesn't see the benefits out weighing the risks and lost season...YET.
Did I say beat him out or did I say let him compete?
Forfeiting that opportunity is asinine.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That’s absolutely possible. Hey, look, Nagy could be lying out his ass here. But I’m talking purely about what he said, which is completely definitive and unambiguous.

Why would you give a rookie a job at the end of TC? Then if he sucks in preseason you create an issue. Let him prove it in actual games.

He should get the bulk of the PT during the preseason since starters dont play much. So let him dominate against the 2s. Then and only then should Nagy revisit.