Nagy had every chance to rule out Fields starting...and he didn't.

Stephen_Roto

CCS Podcast Guy
Donator
Liked Posts:
On Fields and if he could change the coaching staff's mind: "That would be awesome (if he goes out and crushes it). For Justin, for Andy, for Nick, their job is to go into this thing and….just dominate. And then for all of us, make it as hard as you possibly can at every position. We don’t even get into that part of it, we just say listen, go play ball, be the best you can be. Trust me, just like everyone here and in this city, I want Justin Fields to be electric. For us, we’re worried about today."

Don't know about you guys but it definitely felt different today when talking about his chances to start.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
On Fields and if he could change the coaching staff's mind: "That would be awesome (if he goes out and crushes it). For Justin, for Andy, for Nick, their job is to go into this thing and….just dominate. And then for all of us, make it as hard as you possibly can at every position. We don’t even get into that part of it, we just say listen, go play ball, be the best you can be. Trust me, just like everyone here and in this city, I want Justin Fields to be electric. For us, we’re worried about today."

Don't know about you guys but it definitely felt different today when talking about his chances to start.

To his credit, since draft day Nagy has taken all the media pressure off Fields with his comments as to who will be his QB1. Now with the opening of camp it is time to compete for every position including quarterback.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
At the very least he is implying that Training Camp is an open competition.

Nagy speak is really not that hard to figure out.

- We are going to simplify the playbook - means Trubisky is not catching on...
- We told all three QBs to go out there and dominate - means this thing is wide open
- We are impressed with Justin, and you can see a difference from OTAs to the last three days in Rookie minicamp - means, well they are impressed and do not seem to be making excuses.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not sure if people are just fishing for a "gotcha" moment on Nagy or what. This far out who cares what's said? If I were Nagy and asked about which QB is starting in September, when training camp has only just started, I would roll my eyes and walk away. Without a filter I'd say STFU!

Everything will happen as it should.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
Nagy needs to take a deep breath before he responds to questions on Fields lol he's so excited he barely can contain himself. but like we all do, Nagy has to be patient too. but if he's grasping majority of playbook and coming along just fine and shows how he can turn bad plays into something electrifying.....gonna be real hard to find a reason not to just start him Week 1. like "why are we starting Andy Dalton again?".

i think the momentum will be too much and ultimately they make him QB1 sometime in preseason. it's almost too big of a distraction for rest of team and coaches until you just make him starter, and awkward for Justin too. make him "earn" it of course, don't give it to him until maybe 2 weeks before Week 1.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
The only edge Dalton has on JF1 is experience. Like I said, JF1 will be starting against the Rams.
Definitely agree with this but experience on the field, not Nagy’s playbook. They are both pretty even learning his playbook and getting used to the players. Dalton might have the upper hand on terminology.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is all coach speak......you don't demotivate your player by telling him he has no chance...

You also don't promise a vet to come sign and tell him he is the starter and then sit him the first week. That's a sure way to lose credibility.

When Dalton sucks after a couple weeks, its all fair game at that point

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Felt different than what? than when he gave a misinterpreted “answer” the press and fans ran with thinking Fields had no chance to earn the starting job?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You guys are getting all amped up from typical coach speak?

giphy.gif

His entire quote didn't say anything and was Johnny Sunshine about everyone. A Nick Foles fan can read the same thing and think:

giphy.gif

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
this is all coach speak......you don't demotivate your player by telling him he has no chance...

You also don't promise a vet to come sign and tell him he is the starter and then sit him the first week. That's a sure way to lose credibility.

When Dalton sucks after a couple weeks, its all fair game at that point

Another good way to lose credibility is to start the guy you said would start even if he's being vastly outperformed by another player.

Monster

Liked Posts:
I don’t know what the right move is…
What I do know is I would have a helluva lot more fun watching JF…
The good, the bad, the ugly, the great…. Would all be more intriguing to me than Dalton. I think the fans would love it..
Optimism man… it’s nice to have it back.