Nagy is a bigger disappointment than Mitch... change my mind

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
To begin, I'll start by digging up an old quote from my draft reaction thread back in May 2017...
I sincerely hope all these guys pan out but I can't help but feel like Pace traded up 1 spot to draft Christian Ponder
Hopefully this helps provide a bit of context as to why I'm so apathetic regarding Trubisky. Simply put, it's hard to be very disappointed in a guy you never really expected much from to begin with. Obviously there is some degree of disappointment with his lack of improvement from last year to this year, but it pales in comparison to the level of disappointment I have regarding Nagy.

Not sure where to even begin with Nagy... After the fools good that was Marc Trestman it seemed like the Bears finally hit on a coach. He was the cool alpha bro coach everyone wanted after suffering through the nerdy beta cuck Trestman and his pregame shower prayer circles. He was bluntly transparent and said all the right things that made you feel good about where the team was headed and it seemed like he was scheming up new tricks each week to get the most out of an offense with limited talent.

Then comes year 2.

For as much as Trubisky has regressed this season, I'd argue Nagy has regressed far more. His management of the team this year is equal parts baffling and infuriating and his handling of the media is getting worse by the week. At least when it comes to Trubisky you can put on the tape and see why he's failing to produce. Wild swings in accuracy, not seeing the field, poor mechanics, poor OL, etc... but when it comes to Nagy there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for his shockingly terrible decision making this season.

It's almost as if the playoff loss mentally broke Nagy. From the way he turned the kicking situation into an even bigger circus than it needed to be, to not playing preseason, to his continued refusal to change what isn't working in his gameplans and play calls, it's just been a complete disaster at every level.

Nowhere was this more apparent than this past weeks loss to the Chargers. It should tell you something when the best the offense has looked all year was the first series of the 2nd half where they came out in I-formation with Holtz at FB and ran vanilla pre-season offense. They marched right down the field and put it in the endzone.

What does Nagy do the following possession? Does he go back to what was working? Nope. Instead it's right back to his RPO and spread concepts and Mitch gets baited into a INT. Luckily the Chargers miss the FG and we get the ball back. At this point we're clinging to a 6 point lead with 10 minutes left in the 4th... does he go back to the vanilla I formation that was working and pound the ball having been gifted a second chance after his QB just threw an INT? Of course not.

Right back to his spread RPO. He leaves Leno on an island with Bosa and predictably gets walked right back into Mitch's lap who then fumbles the ball. The football gods once again strike Nagy down for his hubris.

Miraculously he's given yet another chance to salvage the game and of course fucks it up by coaching like a huge pussy and needlessly kneeling on the ball. Clearly his "BE YOU" mantra is a complete bunch of bullshit. The perfect opportunity to BE YOU with a simple playaction pass presents itself and he curls up into the fetal position instead and pussies out. The only thing worse was his post game presser. Contradicting himself and acting like a complete douchebag that can't simply man up and admit his coaching cost the game. I'll get into his redzone playcalls later when I take a look at the all-22 but at this point I'm done with Nagy.

Shit on Mitch all you want but he'd be mediocre enough to win with if Nagy wasn't a fucking stubborn dickhead that has to be the smartest guy in the room. God forbid he admit his gimmick RPO scheme isn't producing and use what is working . Contrast the way he's handling his offense to the way Pagano did when he arrived. He didn't force the D to all change to his system, he changed his system to fit what the defense was already doing well. That's the mark of a good coach. Someone who's not ego driven and will do whats best for the team, not what makes him look the best.

Bottom line is nobody is doing more of a disservice to this team than Nagy this season. His ego is the biggest problem with this team. If he could just swallow his pride this team would likely be undefeated.

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately I can't change your mind because you just mentioned word for word my exact thoughts on Nagy.
He's the real problem. Trubisky is not a top qb but imo would be servicable if plays were called that emphasized his strengths rather than his weaknesses all game long. The "I" formation plays we ran just PROVE that this team CAN be effective, it's Nagy that is holding us back.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
His stubbornness to change anything is maddening. He’s so quick to low key blame everyone else when he is constantly sabotaging the team. His decision making is putrid. He’s done nothing to advance this last place offense.

greg23

Liked Posts:
To begin, I'll start by digging up an old quote from my draft reaction thread back in May 2017...

Hopefully this helps provide a bit of context as to why I'm so apathetic regarding Trubisky. Simply put, it's hard to be very disappointed in a guy you never really expected much from to begin with. Obviously there is some degree of disappointment with his lack of improvement from last year to this year, but it pales in comparison to the level of disappointment I have regarding Nagy.

Not sure where to even begin with Nagy... After the fools good that was Marc Trestman it seemed like the Bears finally hit on a coach. He was the cool alpha bro coach everyone wanted after suffering through the nerdy beta cuck Trestman and his pregame shower prayer circles. He was bluntly transparent and said all the right things that made you feel good about where the team was headed and it seemed like he was scheming up new tricks each week to get the most out of an offense with limited talent.

Then comes year 2.

For as much as Trubisky has regressed this season, I'd argue Nagy has regressed far more. His management of the team this year is equal parts baffling and infuriating and his handling of the media is getting worse by the week. At least when it comes to Trubisky you can put on the tape and see why he's failing to produce. Wild swings in accuracy, not seeing the field, poor mechanics, poor OL, etc... but when it comes to Nagy there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for his shockingly terrible decision making this season.

It's almost as if the playoff loss mentally broke Nagy. From the way he turned the kicking situation into an even bigger circus than it needed to be, to not playing preseason, to his continued refusal to change what isn't working in his gameplans and play calls, it's just been a complete disaster at every level.

Nowhere was this more apparent than this past weeks loss to the Chargers. It should tell you something when the best the offense has looked all year was the first series of the 2nd half where they came out in I-formation with Holtz at FB and ran vanilla pre-season offense. They marched right down the field and put it in the endzone.

What does Nagy do the following possession? Does he go back to what was working? Nope. Instead it's right back to his RPO and spread concepts and Mitch gets baited into a INT. Luckily the Chargers miss the FG and we get the ball back. At this point we're clinging to a 6 point lead with 10 minutes left in the 4th... does he go back to the vanilla I formation that was working and pound the ball having been gifted a second chance after his QB just threw an INT? Of course not.

Right back to his spread RPO. He leaves Leno on an island with Bosa and predictably gets walked right back into Mitch's lap who then fumbles the ball. The football gods once again strike Nagy down for his hubris.

Miraculously he's given yet another chance to salvage the game and of course fucks it up by coaching like a huge pussy and needlessly kneeling on the ball. Clearly his "BE YOU" mantra is a complete bunch of bullshit. The perfect opportunity to BE YOU with a simple playaction pass presents itself and he curls up into the fetal position instead and pussies out. The only thing worse was his post game presser. Contradicting himself and acting like a complete douchebag that can't simply man up and admit his coaching cost the game. I'll get into his redzone playcalls later when I take a look at the all-22 but at this point I'm done with Nagy.

Shit on Mitch all you want but he'd be mediocre enough to win with if Nagy wasn't a fucking stubborn dickhead that has to be the smartest guy in the room. God forbid he admit his gimmick RPO scheme isn't producing and use what is working . Contrast the way he's handling his offense to the way Pagano did when he arrived. He didn't force the D to all change to his system, he changed his system to fit what the defense was already doing well. That's the mark of a good coach. Someone who's not ego driven and will do whats best for the team, not what makes him look the best.

Bottom line is nobody is doing more of a disservice to this team than Nagy this season. His ego is the biggest problem with this team. If he could just swallow his pride this team would likely be undefeated.

Bingo.

Been saying this in bits and pieces since last year but not as succinctly as this.

Some are too closed minded and simpleton to only see an average to below average qb miss throws and think it's all on him....newsflash....good coaches play to their teams and individual players strength; which mitch has some. On the flip side; self annointed geniuses revert to their system despite proof that the assembled roster doesnt function at it's best when that system is jammed down its throat.

The shotgun RPO should be a change up (preferably used sparingly and in conjunction with no huddle) while the base offense should be under center, heavy formation, run based and play action off the run......that's what this particular personnel group does best (qb, oline, rb, etc.)

Hell....last year he had a rb (howard) who he mismanaged almost all year....he gets a new stable of his guys back there and they're worse and mismanaged again.

I could go on and on but the BHVWGHC is way out of his element. Was hoping he'd learn but then again, I've learned that meatheads in charge of this sport rarely change from meatheads to cerebrial thinkers and good decision makers.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The problem is, in order for Nagy's offense to be effective, you need a very accurate passer who can read defenses. You basically need a pro bowler out there or better. It's kinda like how with Martz offenses, you needed an amazing offensive line to block those 7 step drops with no tight end help because you were in 4 wide with a RB.

Mitch would look a lot better in an offense like the Colts no doubt.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
People would be a lot more forgiving on Mitch's mistakes if he was a middle round draft pick on a team that didn't have Super Bowl aspirations. Unfortunately, you have to think of Mitch like that now. He is never going to be a great QB like you typically would draft at the top. Average QBs can be had in the mid rounds.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy hasn’t been good.

But he is a chef who has been given a turd as the Center piece of his main plate.

I can’t judge a play caller as harshly when his QB cannot hit wide open WRs deep.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bingo.

Been saying this in bits and pieces since last year but not as succinctly as this.

Some are too closed minded and simpleton to only see an average to below average qb miss throws and think it's all on him....newsflash....good coaches play to their teams and individual players strength; which mitch has some. On the flip side; self annointed geniuses revert to their system despite proof that the assembled roster doesnt function at it's best when that system is jammed down its throat.

The shotgun RPO should be a change up (preferably used sparingly and in conjunction with no huddle) while the base offense should be under center, heavy formation, run based and play action off the run......that's what this particular personnel group does best (qb, oline, rb, etc.)

Hell....last year he had a rb (howard) who he mismanaged almost all year....he gets a new stable of his guys back there and they're worse and mismanaged again.

I could go on and on but the BHVWGHC is way out of his element. Was hoping he'd learn but then again, I've learned that meatheads in charge of this sport rarely change from meatheads to cerebrial thinkers and good decision makers.

What exactly are Mitch’s strengths?

He can run the ball, which Mitch chose to stop doing.

He is inaccurate
He has an okay arm at best
He does not read defenses well
His feet are a mess
His pocket presence last season was good but hasn’t turned to shit.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Nagys top job responsibility outside of flat out winning was “Develop Trubisky”. He has failed, Trubisky has regressed and the whole team is following the coaches lead, spiraling downward.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Trubisky regressed for the following reasons:

1. Nagy opened the playbook which calls for Trubisky to adjust from presnap reads to what the defense ultimately gives him. He doesn't have the ability to do this and didn't have to last year.

2. Nagy told him to stop scrambling which was his biggest strength.

3. Expectations were higher and when 1 and 2 caused him to play worse, he felt the pressure which compounded things by making him lose confidence and ultimately play even worse.

In the perfect system, could Trubisky be an average starter for several years? Probably. But the first step is to stop thinking of him as the number 2 overall QB in the same draft as Mahomes and Watson. Because that skews things and makes it seem like his worse than he is. Think of it like this, if you had a 4 some with 2 dimes and 1 chick that was a 5, that chick would look terrible compared to if you were dateless for years and just met that 5 at a bar drunk, lol.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When you spend years trying to convince yourself and everyone else that the QB is more or less blameless (again), of course the coach is more of a disappointment.

We have been here before.

Blaming and switching coaches for a QB who will never be good enough.

Show me 1 offensive coach having success with a bust at QB.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
150 yards rushing, Can used Play-Action off that, even Peyton Manning needed it.

As down as we are on Mitch he did hit a few.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I don't know. I see open receivers all the time on replays. Not saying Nagy isnt a disappointment, but mitch sure isnt helping him look good.
exactly, Nagy does have issues but he is calling plays for Mitch that has his WR wide open, and Mitch is not seeing them, missing them or just taking a easy short dump off instead. That is not a HC/OC problem, that is a QB problem.

Nagy is going to have his growing pains and make dumb mistakes as we have seen. But his play designs would work great with a QB that could actually hit the open WR..