Nagy on the Score This Morning 5/17

kalmavet

Liked Posts:
Doing this on my phone so it's not complete. This is just a cliff notes version that I thought might be helpful.

On chiefs comparison... Alex Smith was their teammate for a long time. Andy Dalton has been in the league a long time. So similarities and differences. He says the Bears have "our own plan."

On taking back play calling - "every year is different...I always make sure I'm doing my job to put these players in the best position possible...Last year we needed a change... Now, getting into this year, that's motivating for me. That's a challenge to me to be better."

On QB and scheme fit and Fields' talent and potential and how much he would have to tailor thing to Fields' talents:" we're going to adapt to each of these qb's." He stressed similarities to Ohio St with the biggest differences between terminology, not concepts. They'll do what each qb is comfortable with etc.

On "everyone will know when it's Fields' time" and what that means to him: "it's a 100% on field. Plays gotta be made. We have to see the execution of the play.... From all these guys."

On the Tackles and drafting 2 of them: "it was an emphasis for us. It's very important to have emphasis with the oline."

On if the bears are a better team than they were at the end of last year: he does believe they're better. Improving starts with "off-season scheme evaluation." he noted desai and then discussed free agency and cited depth. (his worst answer I'd say)

On Furrey and "we don't need you": Nagy stressed that there's so much depth that he wasn't singling anyone out. This is basically what he said on national shows over the weekend.

On the timeline and trying to sync o and d both being good / complimenting each other: he stressed the need to create identity in all 3 phases at training camp. D has good mix of vets and youth. O is in the midst of a youth movement. He cited depth again

Last edited:

kalmavet

Liked Posts:
Yes all of that and he was excited. "For us" probably wins the coach speak award for this interview

Bust

Liked Posts:
2 time coach of the year boyz

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Doing this on my phone so it's not complete. This is just a cliff notes version that I thought might be helpful.

On chiefs comparison... Alex Smith was their teammate for a long time. Andy Dalton has been in the league a long time. So similarities and differences. He says the Bears have "our own plan."

On taking back play calling - "every year is different...I always make sure I'm doing my job to put these players in the best position possible...Last year we needed a change... Now, getting into this year, that's motivating for me. That's a challenge to me to be better."

On QB and scheme fit and Fields' talent and potential and how much he would have to tailor thing to Fields' talents:" we're going to adapt to each of these qb's." He stressed similarities to Ohio St with the biggest differences between terminology, not concepts. They'll do what each qb is comfortable with etc.

On "everyone will know when it's Fields' time" and what that means to him: "it's a 100% on field. Plays gotta be made. We have to see the execution of the play.... From all these guys."

On the Tackles and drafting 2 of them: "it was an emphasis for us. It's very important to have emphasis with the oline."

On if the bears are a better team than they were at the end of last year: he does believe they're better. Improving starts with "off-season scheme evaluation." he noted desai and then discussed free agency and cited depth. (his worst answer I'd say)

On Furrey and "we don't need you": Nagy stressed that there's so much depth that he wasn't singling anyone out. This is basically what he said on national shows over the weekend.

On the timeline and trying to sync o and d both being good / complimenting each other: he stressed the need to create identity in all 3 phases at training camp. D has good mix of vets and youth. O is in the midst of a youth movement. He cited depth again
Thanks for the re-cap

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Nagy believes they are a better team anything short of the playoffs is a disappointment....

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
If Nagy believes they are a better team anything short of the playoffs is a disappointment....
what is he supposed to say? we got worse as a football team? the reality is the Bears didn’t really improve all that much unless Justin comes in and plays well.

Sans Fields where is the improvement?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
what is he supposed to say? we got worse as a football team? the reality is the Bears didn’t really improve all that much unless Justin comes in and plays well.

You think LT got worse? RT? TE and WR with Kmet and Mooney in their 2nd seasons? DL with getting back Goldman?

The only position you can say we got worse is maybe CB, but that’s only because what we have isn’t proven yet...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'd feel a lot better coming into this season if Lazor was calling plays.
Yeah i would as well but i've been on the DeFilippo train since we got him and was always hoping he'd be the one to take over play calling, but he's obviously behind Lazor if Nagy does give up play calling.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yeah i would as well but i've been on the DeFilippo train since we got him and was always hoping he'd be the one to take over play calling, but he's obviously behind Lazor if Nagy does give up play calling.
Defilippo did a pretty awful job of playcalling in Minnesota. I like his qb work, but I'd pass on him as OC.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
You think LT got worse? RT? TE and WR with Kmet and Mooney in their 2nd seasons? DL with getting back Goldman?

The only position you can say we got worse is maybe CB, but that’s only because what we have isn’t proven yet...
i have no idea if LT got worse. Jenkins is a rookie playing out of his college position. to have that situation penciled in as a definite improvement is ridiculous.

Im not all that confident in Ifedi or Borrom either. Again another retread vet and a 5th round rookie. that could end very badly.

Kmet should improve but again there’s a steep learning curve for TEs. he might need another year before he’s “the guy” if he ever is.

I expect Mooney to improve but hypothetically DCs could have a better idea of how to guard him after an offseason of film study.

This is all counter balanced by a definite decline in the defense via age and the loss of Fuller. the harsh reality is the bears more than likely got worse this off season sans Justin Fields.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

he could have said we will have some challenges young players need to step up, blah blah blah...

If he's just blowing smoke then you can't trust anything he says publicly.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
he could have said we will have some challenges young players need to step up, blah blah blah...

If he's just blowing smoke then you can't trust anything he says publicly.
you shouldn’t trust anything a coach says publicly. have you never heard of “coach speak”

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

We don’t know if the Bears improved or not. My god, training camp hasn’t even started yet.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
you shouldn’t trust anything a coach says publicly. have you never heard of “coach speak”
coach speak is different that being definitive on "yes, we got better"

coach speak would be saying "we have to see what we have in our rookies, we want someone to step up" thats coach speak