Nagy: play calling and offensive identity.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me preface this by asking that we keep this thread focused on Nagy. Plenty of other threads to whine about Trubisky. K thanks.

That said, as much as people are frustrated with some of the players I'm even more frustrated with Nagy, his play calling, and the overall offensive identity (or more accurately the lack thereof). He's been a great coach from the standpoint of rebuilding the overall team culture, morale, chemistry, etc after Fox left it completely in shambles but his gimmicky play calling and lack of offensive identity is driving me nuts.

You'd think that coming from the Andy Reid coaching tree, and now having 2 great receiving backs to utilize, the screen game would be something we could hang our hat on but we hardly run them. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see he actually called one for Cohen last night instead of lining him up in the slot and sending him deep all game but we should be constantly gouging defenses with Cohen and Montgomery with screens.

I mean just look at KC. Everyone gets caught up with Mahomes ability to sling it deep but it's their screen game that really sets everything up for them and gives him a ton of easy throws that turn into big plays...

Aside from the lack of a screen game the situation with the running game is even more frustrating. If I have to watch another inside zone to Cohen or another predictable Patterson in the pistol run I'm gonna lose it. What the fuck is going on here? It's clear to anyone with a functioning set of eyes that Montgomery is the best RB on the roster. He should be getting at leat 20 carries a game, end of story. You want to get cute fine, sprinkle in a few carries with Cohen where you put them both on the backfield and use some misdirection and gimmicks to get Cohen some space but that's it.

Lastly, Nagy's situational play calling is infuriating. I can't wait to check out the all-22 coaches film once it gets released but the 2nd and 2 inside zone to Cohen after Montgomery just ran for 8 and the Special person fade on the 6 yard line nearly gave me a brain aneurysm. Seriously take all the plays with any sort of fade out of the playbook. Easily my least favorite play in all of football. Shit hardly ever works. Don't even give Mitch the option to throw that. Just run another pick play like everyone else is doing these days and get the easy 6.

Anyways, going purely off my memory it seems like this game was an improvement from what we saw the first two weeks but Nagy still has a long way to go with this offense. I'll save further critiques until I get a chance to look at the all-22.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IIRC we had a couple of successful screen passes in last night's game.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The offense's best games are when the QB who shall not be named gets into a rhythm early and gets the jitters out.

When Nagy gets some quick hits for the QB Trubisky gets more accurate down the field....

Nagy has had a serious lack of calls for crossing routes over the middle and slants. Trubisky, after he got a few passes under his belt was nailing those in his sleep and guys were getting extra yards because Trubisky was hitting them in stride.

More of that please.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The offense's best games are when the QB who shall not be named gets into a rhythm early and gets the jitters out.

When Nagy gets some quick hits for the QB Trubisky gets more accurate down the field....

Nagy has had a serious lack of calls for crossing routes over the middle and slants. Trubisky, after he got a few passes under his belt was nailing those in his sleep and guys were getting extra yards because Trubisky was hitting them in stride.

More of that please.
And like the OP said, more Montgomery in the run game and would love to see some Montgomery/Cohen two back sets... Can motion Cohen out of it, can run mis direction either way, can screen either way or both ways, give Trubs a choice... But really more Montgomery running, not just to finish off the clock in the 4th...

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
They run screens non stop. I don't understand this thread. I'm the Denver game they ran at least 8 screens. The problem is they aren't winning inside and they aren't winning down the field.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Anyone who wants to watch a screen game clinic, watch a Saints game. Their linemen sell the fuck out of it. I'd rather have an intern from the Saints or Patriots that vaguely hears whats going on in the offensive line room than Heistand at this point. They breed new, consistently good linemen every year.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
They run screens non stop. I don't understand this thread.

Non-stop my ass... but regardless my point wasn't solely about screen passes, it's the overall system in place here, the play calling, the personnel packages, all of it. Not sure what's so hard to understand about the thread.

msadows

Liked Posts:
My bitch ass wants to see some play action deep shots. Keep that defense honest. Tired of this cute rpo shit for 5 yards.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Non-stop my ass... but regardless my point wasn't solely about screen passes, it's the overall system in place here, the play calling, the personnel packages, all of it. Not sure what's so hard to understand about the thread.
Yeah I think we can all agree the play calling sucks ass. It's like watching someone outsmart himself. Let's trick the defense by running Cohen up the gut and a sweep to Cordarelle