Nagy to call plays

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
What's the advantage of Nagy declaring now that he'll be calling the plays? It reeks of "I'm in charge of this train wreck, watch me steer it off the rails. Again."

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Pretty in-line with what's expected. His system requires a QB that can read a defense, make his progressions and deliver the ball accurately: something that Trubisky could never do. Dalton is better equipped to handle the duties. To me, this feels like the Bears' brass saying "ok so Trubisky sucks but prove to me your offense and your ability to run it works."
But Foles couldn't run it either...and he KNEW THE SYSTEM.

This season is just gonna be a massive clusterfuck. I'm sure fans will find a way to blame it all on Dalton and let Nagy off the hook yet again.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
How many chances does this mope get?

Apparently....

sidvgw4b1ugpihs307xu.jpg

"As many as it TAKES.."

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
"It wasn't my playcalling, it was Mitch. See those last few games with Lazor calling plays?"

Honestly though, I don't think this is a big deal. The play designs suck and the QB sucks and the OL sucks, so the play calls will suck. But I will say, I think Nagy should loosen up a bit. In 2018, he was calling a lot of innovative things, doing things with formations, putting linemen in the backfield. He needs to get back to that stuff. Saw almost 0 of that in 2019 and 2020, and when he did call it, it messed up the offensive rhythm.

I remember after almost every game in 2018 talking about how many times we had receivers that were wide open multiple times. Don't know how it went from that to having such a blah offense the next 2 years but if it takes getting back to doing more trick plays and moving players around more to get back to our 2018 offense then do it damn it.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
His system requires a QB that can read a defense, make his progressions and deliver the ball accurately:

LOL as opposed to the other NFL systems that does not require a QB to read a D or throw with accuracy?

Nagy is handcuffed primarily by his own schizophrenia and out-thinking his own damn self. He is so all over the place in philosophy and block scheming that he confuses his own players and all the DCs with serviceable talent that face him just teach patience and basic techniques and wait for Nagy to shoot himself in his own foot time and again.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me, this feels like the Bears' brass saying "ok so Trubisky sucks but prove to me your offense and your ability to run it works."
They ain’t that smart dawg. You’re giving George too much credit.

oober

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This news makes it even easier to cancel the cable... Thanks Nagy, you just saved me $100 a month..

Highsteppingbruin

Liked Posts:
As the great Chick Hearn would say:

" This season (game) is in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the butter's getting hard, the eggs are cooling, and the Jell-O's jigglin'! "

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
I see it as good news. If play calling ends up being the deciding factor between a successful and unsuccessful season, then I rather see if Nagy learned his lesson(s) or not. Long term, he was always going to assume play calling duties again. Last thing you need is to have a successful season with Lazor calling plays(well successful enough to keep everyone around for another year), and then Nagy coming back in to call plays only to ruin that 2022 season.

If he does well at play calling this season, well that would be a potential reason to keep him around even further. If he hasn't, he's an easy firing along with Pace.

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If the McCaskey were the type of owner to fire a HC in season. I would predict that Nagy would get the ax by week 7.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
ROFL. Nagy sucks at everything.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
But Foles couldn't run it either...and he KNEW THE SYSTEM.

This season is just gonna be a massive clusterfuck. I'm sure fans will find a way to blame it all on Dalton and let Nagy off the hook yet again.
When have fans let Nagy off the hook? Maybe early on with Trubisky, but the only people letting Nagy off the hook for well over a year are Ryan Pace and the McCaskeys

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I remember after almost every game in 2018 talking about how many times we had receivers that were wide open multiple times. Don't know how it went from that to having such a blah offense the next 2 years but if it takes getting back to doing more trick plays and moving players around more to get back to our 2018 offense then do it damn it.
It's simple. He used up his bag of tricks and the league adjusted. He never did. Just like he never does in the second half of the game and they get shut out in the third quarter.

Dalton isn't fixing that problem. Nagy is problem #1 with the offense

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Foles struggled because they played better teams. He was pressured around 50% more than Trubisky because he was facing the likes of the Colts and Bucs.

Trubisky struggled against crappy teams then got better when the O was changed for him after which he played better against more crappy teams.

Nagy's O may still be a problem but Foles main issue was competition. Trusbisky's was he could not grasp the O well enough to execute even against bad teams until Lazor changed it for him.

So it will be interesting to see how the O looks presuming they feel Dalton or whoever they get can run it as intended unlike Trubisky. If not then Nagy should be fired.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nah, It's the Nagy broke ass train all next season. McCaskey's wear the "never fired a coach during the season" label like a gold medal.
Let me dream!