Nate Sudfeld

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I think this will be the guy the Bears sign to back up Mitch. Reasons why:

A: He was going to be Wentz’s backup this year before breaking a wrist in preseason. So a decent team already liked him enough to be a backup.
B: Some similar system experience being on the Eagles. Flip was also his QB coach for at least one season.
C: Should be relatively inexpensive compared to other options I’ve seen tossed around. Both in cost and no trade required.

Still think long term the Bears will have to draft another QB high in round one but this would at least give us a young backup with maybe some upside potential. Think he throws a nice deep ball and seems to have a little mobility in the pocket. Thoughts?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can he bring the Eagles oline.......he looked like he had all day to throw.....

I think the Bears envision a backup with more playing experience

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Can he bring the Eagles oline.......he looked like he had all day to throw.....

I think the Bears envision a backup with more playing experience

Bears Oline needs fixing. Everyone agrees to that.

Backups with more experience cost more. Bears need to fix Oline, QB, TE. This gives you a player with some upside, low cost, that lets you still sign a TE or Guard and costs no picks.

I also believe Pace when he says Mitch will start next year so not really buying all the talk about Mitch replacements.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Bears fans should raise their expectations and this thread is a prime example.

Nate. Sudfeld.

Fuck me.

So a player good enough to be the Eagles backup isn’t good enough for the Bears? Got it.

And do tell what we should be raising our expectations to? What’s your bright idea?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I am an IU alum and I say fuck no. He is Mike Glennon light, if that inspires you.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I was at the combine and saw his group of QBs throw live and I watched several games of his at Indiana.

If you think this guy is going to push Trubisky, you’re dreaming.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was at the combine and saw his group of QBs throw live and I watched several games of his at Indiana.

If you think this guy is going to push Trubisky, you’re dreaming.

I don’t think Pace is looking for someone to “push” Trubisky. He’s going to get another shot. Pace is looking for backups with upside.

agree the college tape is not good.... which is why he was a 6th round pick. Players do get better, and by all accounts he’s come a long ways.

anyways, just a thought.... as usual CCS has criticism with no alternative answers.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I don’t think Pace is looking for someone to “push” Trubisky. He’s going to get another shot. Pace is looking for backups with upside.

agree the college tape is not good.... which is why he was a 6th round pick. Players do get better, and by all accounts he’s come a long ways.

anyways, just a thought.... as usual CCS has criticism with no alternative answers.

This is a Nate Sudfeld thread. I gave my opinion.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am an IU alum and I say fuck no. He is Mike Glennon light, if that inspires you.

Also watched him at IU. Also, no. As a back up maybe not “fuck no” but still, no. The Bears need someone ho can play a little and a project. If MT spits the bit again there needs to be a good back up.

darkvirage

Liked Posts:

I think this will be the guy the Bears sign to back up Mitch. Reasons why:

A: He was going to be Wentz’s backup this year before breaking a wrist in preseason. So a decent team already liked him enough to be a backup.
B: Some similar system experience being on the Eagles. Flip was also his QB coach for at least one season.
C: Should be relatively inexpensive compared to other options I’ve seen tossed around. Both in cost and no trade required.

Still think long term the Bears will have to draft another QB high in round one but this would at least give us a young backup with maybe some upside potential. Think he throws a nice deep ball and seems to have a little mobility in the pocket. Thoughts?

Fuck that, I want the TE 88

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears Oline needs fixing. Everyone agrees to that.

Backups with more experience cost more. Bears need to fix Oline, QB, TE. This gives you a player with some upside, low cost, that lets you still sign a TE or Guard and costs no picks.

I also believe Pace when he says Mitch will start next year so not really buying all the talk about Mitch replacements.

I agree that Trubisky is the starter next year. But he talked about bringing more competition to the QB room......Sudfeld isn't going to do that.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nick Mullens please

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
I think Bears fans should raise their expectations and this thread is a prime example.

Nate. Sudfeld.

Fuck me.
Bringing up back up QBs like this is what I expect from Pace at this point. Combined with the fact that there isn't much cap space.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think he stated perfectly fine what Pace will do if he really is only bringing in a backup QB. Sudfeld would make sense in that scenario.

I don't think he means its the right decision for Pace to make.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good thread. Viable and thought provoking. Could use more of these lately.

Thank you. The viable part was what I was striving towards. I'm not sure this is the best move or the move that solves everything.... but it would be a move that makes sense. It's affordable. There's a staff/system/player connection. And I know people are saying "oh I watched him in college blah blah blah" but the fact is the Eagles are a better organization than the Bears and they thought he was worth a second round tender a few years ago. Last year they liked him enough to plan on him being the backup before he broke his wrist. It's also a very Pace type of move... free's him up to draft BPA. We shall see. Trubisky/Sudfeld/Draft Pick wouldn't make me mad.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So a player good enough to be the Eagles backup isn’t good enough for the Bears? Got it.

And do tell what we should be raising our expectations to? What’s your bright idea?

It would be something better than a Mitch Trubisky and Nate Sudfeld QB room.

Really, any other option is better.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I guess its a realistic take.

Better than all the idiots talking about getting a 38 year old rivers for 20m a year or trading for cam newton at 20m a year.