NBA trade deadline discussion

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
IMO that was obvious the moment we signed him to a max deal. Idk how you would ever intend to get half decent value signing a player to the max then shipping them off 6 months later. Zach is here at least another 2 years before his trade value becomes anything resembling a decent return

Agreed. And that’s assuming his knee holds up and he doesn’t have another tear or any other issue.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed. And that’s assuming his knee holds up and he doesn’t have another tear or any other issue.
To his credit, other than that stint at the beginning of the year with the load management, it seems like the knee hasn't really been an issue at all this season. And arguably the stuff at the beginning wasn't even Zach's fault. It did take him a little bit to ramp up to his normal production, but that's true of any player. Statistically, he's been playing well since beginning of December.

Of course time will tell if his knee holds up down the line, but that's really out of anyone's control (thus the "risk")

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Michael Scotto: There’s been some speculation from a few rival executives that the Memphis Grizzlies could make a run at OG Anunoby, given their surplus of draft picks in the years to come… There was also a report out there, I believe from the Toronto Star, that one mystery team previously offered three first-round picks for Anunoby… I don’t see Toronto getting a better package than that for him.

14 hours ago – via Michael Scotto

Would be crazy if Memphis pulled this off. They'd for sure be favorites coming out of the West.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
To his credit, other than that stint at the beginning of the year with the load management, it seems like the knee hasn't really been an issue at all this season. And arguably the stuff at the beginning wasn't even Zach's fault. It did take him a little bit to ramp up to his normal production, but that's true of any player. Statistically, he's been playing well since beginning of December.

Of course time will tell if his knee holds up down the line, but that's really out of anyone's control (thus the "risk")
Health wise Zach has indeed been fine. I haven't had a complaint about it. His current problem is his injury to his shooting hand, but that's something that will simply need a few weeks to heal, assuming he doesn't do something to make it worse.

And as others have said, Zach isn't going anywhere any time soon. Earliest I see him going would be at the end of next season.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Michael Scotto: There’s been some speculation from a few rival executives that the Memphis Grizzlies could make a run at OG Anunoby, given their surplus of draft picks in the years to come… There was also a report out there, I believe from the Toronto Star, that one mystery team previously offered three first-round picks for Anunoby… I don’t see Toronto getting a better package than that for him.

Would be crazy if Memphis pulled this off. They'd for sure be favorites coming out of the West.
OG on Memphis would be absolutely disgusting, if I was Memphis I'd be trying to make that happen

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

3 first rounders would be a steep price to pay for him IMO. Good player for sure, but I don’t know that he’s THE guy that for sure puts Memphis over the top.

Hes an avg defender and slightly above avg shooter. He is just 25 years old, so he would fit in the Memphis timeline

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
here’s the grizz bulls trade that needs to happen! ZL DESERVES better than the situation he’s in!

3539C4AA-FD11-434B-A17F-E984A38112A4.jpeg

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
here’s the grizz bulls trade that needs to happen! ZL DESERVES better than the situation he’s in!

View attachment 25991
If the Bulls were to go into a full blowup tank mode (which they won't), this would actually not be half bad if some picks were involved as it clears up so much cap long term. Danny Green could probably be flipped as an expiring deal the following year

Idk much of any of those other low salary guys, but maybe you find yourself a Bol Bol situation in one

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If the Bulls were to go into a full blowup tank mode (which they won't), this would actually not be half bad if some picks were involved as it clears up so much cap long term. Danny Green could probably be flipped as an expiring deal the following year

Idk much of any of those other low salary guys, but maybe you find yourself a Bol Bol situation in one
Williams, LaRavia, and Chandler are all on rookie deals, and the first two were first round picks.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
3 first rounders would be a steep price to pay for him IMO. Good player for sure, but I don’t know that he’s THE guy that for sure puts Memphis over the top.

Hes an avg defender and slightly above avg shooter. He is just 25 years old, so he would fit in the Memphis timeline
An average defender only? Most circles I've found say he's an elite defender.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
An average defender only? Most circles I've found say he's an elite defender.
Perhaps avg was wrong, above avg is probably more correct. I wouldn’t say he’s elite still. And I know defensive metrics are hard to look at and come away with much, but if you look at his defensive rating, it’s not the same these last 2+ years as it was earlier in his career.

That said, Memphis is the #1 defensive team in the league, so adding more defense isn’t their biggest concern. They are looking to add 3point shooting and he is hitting at 37% on good volume

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Perhaps avg was wrong, above avg is probably more correct. I wouldn’t say he’s elite still. And I know defensive metrics are hard to look at and come away with much, but if you look at his defensive rating, it’s not the same these last 2+ years as it was earlier in his career.

That said, Memphis is the #1 defensive team in the league, so adding more defense isn’t their biggest concern. They are looking to add 3point shooting and he is hitting at 37% on good volume
Defensive rating of an individual player are indeed a poor metric and mostly meaningless. I guess you can go by that his D Rating is worse than previous years, but that D-rating is also dependent on the team itself in some ways. The Raptors are not as good as they were last year.

I personally know little about OG, so I can't really comment on his ability. I've heard he's a good defender, but I've lacked actually watching him to really say if he is or not. A lot of knowing who is a good defenders depends on eye tests.

I think the biggest knock on him though is staying healthy.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Take this for what you will, but the ringer wrote a whole article on how great OG's defense is In Praise of OG Anunoby’s Stifling Defense
His steal percentage has gone up almost a full percent this year from previous career high of 2.2% to 2.9% this season. Might be a lot of those gambles resulting in steals also sometimes results in him getting beat, and thus his other defensive metrics taking a slight slide. You can certainly live with that though if it’s yielding breakaways when he gets steals, which it likely is

Again though, Memphis doesn’t need defensive help. Giving up 3 first round picks when you’re already the best defensive team in the league doesnt seem like smart use of those first round picks

they need another high% 3 point shooter with volume. OG can do that some too, I just think they can likely find the outside shooting they need for a lot less cost

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His steal percentage has gone up almost a full percent this year from previous career high of 2.2% to 2.9% this season. Might be a lot of those gambles resulting in steals also sometimes results in him getting beat, and thus his other defensive metrics taking a slight slide. You can certainly live with that though if it’s yielding breakaways when he gets steals, which it likely is

Again though, Memphis doesn’t need defensive help. Giving up 3 first round picks when you’re already the best defensive team in the league doesnt seem like smart use of those first round picks

they need another high% 3 point shooter with volume. OG can do that some too, I just think they can likely find the outside shooting they need for a lot less cost
Any defender with a high steal rate is probably getting beat for gambling at least some of the time, just look at Caruso. Like shot blockers getting dunked on, probably just comes with the territory.

Can't really say without watching closer if OG is indeed as elite as is claimed or not, but just wanted to throw out what the apparent popular opinion on the guy is.

That said, Memphis can probably address the shooting need for way cheaper than 3 1sts, that is definitely true

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Any defender with a high steal rate is probably getting beat for gambling at least some of the time, just look at Caruso. Like shot blockers getting dunked on, probably just comes with the territory.

Can't really say without watching closer if OG is indeed as elite as is claimed or not, but just wanted to throw out what the apparent popular opinion on the guy is.

That said, Memphis can probably address the shooting need for way cheaper than 3 1sts, that is definitely true
100% agreed. My point however, was that his increase in steals this season could be what’s led to his drop in defensive metrics. His steal rate went up, so that would explain the drop in the D metrics. I was never disputing that that causation exists

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
100% agreed. My point however, was that his increase in steals this season could be what’s led to his drop in defensive metrics. His steal rate went up, so that would explain the drop in the D metrics. I was never disputing that that causation exists
It could be, it could also be the general decline in the Raptors play this season. Perhaps a little of both

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bulls could actually use Van Fleet the most if Ball is dead and they sell Caruso.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We should be buyers…you don’t get a chance at a complete starting 5 very often.

Go get a PG and see what these guys can do.