NCAA in discussion to cancel football season, will it impact the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Sure.

There will probably be a ton of really good players going into the supplemental draft since they could say that, since there is no college football, they will have accrued 3 years of time before they could see the field again, making them eligible for the supplemental draft.

Imagine Lawrence jumping into the supplemental draft because he cannot play college ball in the fall.

Depending on the timing of the decision, it can affect the 2020 draft and certainly the 2021 draft.

A team like Cincinnati would make out like a bandit. It would be able to choose its next QB with the 1st pick in the draft while still being able to trade the first pick in the draft (have its cake and eat it too). The decision they would have to make is which #1 pick does it trade, 2020 and Burrows or 2021 and Lawrence (2021 draft pick used in the 2020 supplemental draft). Remember that the supplemental draft works with the current year's draft position.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
How long are you guys hearing the pandemic is going to last?

Another month before the apex? May, June & July to mostly recover.

To be honest, I don't think ppl are going to be down with self isolation for much longer than another 3 or 4 weeks.

Ppl are going to start to say "fuck it" and go out.

msadows

Liked Posts:

To be honest, I don't think ppl are going to be down with self isolation for much longer than another 3 or 4 weeks.

I already am at that level. LOL. Obviously not gonna do it but still.

Really tho, I don't think there is a chance they cancel football since they could just make training camp closed when it starts in late July. Every other activity could be canceled. They don't necessarily need a mini camp or rookie camp or OTA's.

If they cancel the actual season I'd be less worried about sports and more worried about the state of the world which would probably be collapsing. Start of season is over 5 months away, if this virus isn't controlled by then we are royally fucked.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
The NFL needs to be proactive and plan for opening weekend to be Columbus Day weekend... At the earliest. Maybe Veteran's Day weekend and play a 10 or 11 game schedule.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The NFL needs to be proactive and plan for opening weekend to be Columbus Day weekend... At the earliest. Maybe Veteran's Day weekend and play a 10 or 11 game schedule.

The start of training camp is 4 months away.

They can easily cancel every other OTA/minicamp, most of them are useless anyways.

The Hall of Fame game isn't till August 6th.

Like I said, if this virus isn't under control by then, we are fucked.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure.

There will probably be a ton of really good players going into the supplemental draft since they could say that, since there is no college football, they will have accrued 3 years of time before they could see the field again, making them eligible for the supplemental draft.

Imagine Lawrence jumping into the supplemental draft because he cannot play college ball in the fall.

Depending on the timing of the decision, it can affect the 2020 draft and certainly the 2021 draft.

A team like Cincinnati would make out like a bandit. It would be able to choose its next QB with the 1st pick in the draft while still being able to trade the first pick in the draft (have its cake and eat it too). The decision they would have to make is which #1 pick does it trade, 2020 and Burrows or 2021 and Lawrence (2021 draft pick used in the 2020 supplemental draft). Remember that the supplemental draft works with the current year's draft position.

To be eligible you would have to be 3 years removed from high school and be ineligible for that final year. So guys like Lawrence would still not be eligible without a change in rules since he is a true Junior and would not be 3 years removed from High School and would still have one year of eligibility left even if 2020 counted as a year. More likely though the NCAA would not count a cancelled season as 1 year of eligibility which means Lawrence would still have 2 years of eligibility left.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At worst I can see a football season for Tv only, with no fans in the stadium. While their will be no cure for the virus (or vaccine) by then, we should see test kits that can give results in 15 minutes, that would allow all players/refs/coaches/ tv crew to be checked prior to game time. Would kinda suck, but the TV ratings would be through the roof.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
mock draft threads will be litty if they cancel the ncaa season

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
At worst I can see a football season for Tv only, with no fans in the stadium. While their will be no cure for the virus (or vaccine) by then, we should see test kits that can give results in 15 minutes, that would allow all players/refs/coaches/ tv crew to be checked prior to game time. Would kinda suck, but the TV ratings would be through the roof.
I'd be shocked if it even came to that, at some point the world has to keep spinning if this thing is gonna keep running its course regardless of quarantines.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
The thing for the NFL is that if we hit apex in May or June - you have to be concerned as to whether will "second wave" in the fall and winter. Fanless games will be considered obviously but a gameday roster is 53 players, coaching staff, training staff, refs, and media. It will be interesting to see how the NFLPA approaches the issue internally. I have began to prepare for myself for a possible cancellation of the season.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Sure.

Why does the NFL have to cancel season in order to make that argument about the supplemental draft?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

i say 8 weeks thanks to those fucking spring breakers...seriously tho there's better shit to do than to see who can get more drunk than the next mofo at a beach and 90 percent of them can't get any pussy..

Status
Not open for further replies.