NCAA in discussion to cancel football season, will it impact the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
There is no reason to cancel the NFL season this early on in the process. Most experts think this thing will be seasonal—meaning it will likely slow down during the summer months before it comes back later in the fall.

You'd like to think we'd use that time to load up on medical supplies and be better prepared if that were to happen.

I wouldn't rule out not having fans in the stadium, but I would be shocked if they cancel the whole thing.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
We have not even reached the peak of this virus. They are saying that could be 3-4 weeks (no one really knows) in my area and some other areas can end up like New York at that time (wish they would just lockdown the entire country and quit prolonging this - people are not going to listen). No way in hell is New York going to be ready for a football season with as many deaths they have had so far and no one is going to want to travel to that area for a while. As far as NCAA, this will be bad for universities as they get a ton of money from football. A lot of people will be impacted. In my opinion, I think we are going to be stuck in our houses for at least a year, just for a fact that the virus is not going away without a vaccine. If football does start up, what is going to happen when a player or team employee get the virus, are they going to shut everything down again? And it is inevitable that some team person would get the virus at some point in the season. The best solution right now is to hope that some of the medicine they are testing works and gets approved as a treating option. It is going to suck without football if they cancel the season.

Do you really think anyone is going to sit in their house for a year? You’re out of your mind.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The reality is if there is a slowdown in the virus, the most likely time for it to return would be in the fall right when Football is gong to start. If a vaccine hasn't been developed yet and depending on how bad it is, another lockdown may be required.

So non one would be sitting in their house for a year. The premise would be a period of social distancing that flattens the curve and then things open back up and you rinse and repeat if it comes back in the future.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In the hypothetical situation of college football being cancelled in 2020, the NFL would be in uncharted waters.

Being uncharted waters, it would not be a stretch of the imagination that the NFL would loosen the 3 year out of HS rule, because college football players would not be able to play college football for a year, meaning that the NFL would force them to stagnate for a year.

Funny thing is that these players couldn't play football (no college football season) nor could they train for a combine because they couldn't go to a specialized training facility nor go to college campus to train.

At a minimum I think they would wait until people could train. That is too many players that would be drafted without a combine/pro day and without proper medicals.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
At a minimum I think they would wait until people could train. That is too many players that would be drafted without a combine/pro day and without proper medicals.
You are talking the logistics, which is a valid point, while I am talking about the possibility if college football is cancelled of a suddenly important supplemental draft

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How long are you guys hearing the pandemic is going to last?

Another month before the apex? May, June & July to mostly recover.

To be honest, I don't think ppl are going to be down with self isolation for much longer than another 3 or 4 weeks.

Ppl are going to start to say "fuck it" and go out.
why speculate or link someone else speculating. NO ONE knows

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
imagine the 3rd act of this insane 2020 if they cancel the NFL, the Corona riots....people will be pissed by then

interestingly H1N1 died off in the summer and never returned

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There will be a treatment in a few weeks. A couple of drug companies are already on human trials and things look promising.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you really think anyone is going to sit in their house for a year? You’re out of your mind.
Sitting at home and filling packed stadiums are not the same thing. Would be great if a medication actually worked well enough to limit severe complications to a fraction of flu levels. I say a fraction to offset the higher rate of infection from Covid.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
imagine the 3rd act of this insane 2020 if they cancel the NFL, the Corona riots....people will be pissed by then

interestingly H1N1 died off in the summer and never returned
I suspect that with fast testing results and better meds to check and protect players, they play in some fashion. What happens in the stands is a greater issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.