Neighbor Etiquette

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So, we live in a townhome association where all our garages face a common driveway not far from Chinatown on Chicago’s Southwest side. The units are spacious but not a lot of outdoor ‘real estate’, so we installed a retractable screen in our garage to turn it into a veranda on hot summer nights when we/I want to feel the breeze while listening to music, getting shit-faced and rage-posting on CCS.

All was well for a while but now all the neighbors come out with their kids from 7-10 pm on the common driveway, and are very noisy, and one of their’s dog, ‘Happy’, keeps fucking with our cat, who pimp slaps him through our screen.

This is all well and good but, last week, one of the parents stuck his face in my screen and said ‘what are you doing in there? You don’t like children?’

At the time I was so shocked, I just said ‘I’m all good’, but in retrospect I think that was pretty aggro and I don’t know whether I should make a kerfuffle about it. I just want to chill in my garage unmolested.

What would you do?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Piss through the screen the next time it happens.

Seriously, unacceptable.
I would definitely let them know you like privacy and to please respect that.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Piss through the screen the next time it happens.

Seriously, unacceptable.
I would definitely let them know you like privacy and to please respect that.
I was drunk and in the middle of a rage-post or else I would have murked him. Also, his kids were standing right behind him and contrary to his belief, I don’t want kids to see their parents get murked in front of them

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I might add that there is a big-ass park within walking distance and these derelicts make their kids play in the driveway while I am trying to get drunk in my garage?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What would you do?

You did miss that all important first window to give a classic Vu answer to the "Don't you like kids?" question:

"EEEWWW...GOD NO!"

If you just want to be a good neighbor you can remind him of a couple of things:

You are just doing your part in this whole whacky socially distant summer.

People on the south(west) side get shot for far less than what he did.

Both will probably save the lives of that entire family....if that is reallly what you want.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sticky situationssssss

Maybe try and bridge the gap and say 'hi' for a few minutes before heading into your garage so it's not like you're avoiding them. Might get the hint that you're not a dick, just want to be alone.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Move to the country. Not as many neighbors and more distance from the few you would have.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So, we live in a townhome association where all our garages face a common driveway not far from Chinatown on Chicago’s Southwest side. The units are spacious but not a lot of outdoor ‘real estate’, so we installed a retractable screen in our garage to turn it into a veranda on hot summer nights when we/I want to feel the breeze while listening to music, getting shit-faced and rage-posting on CCS.

All was well for a while but now all the neighbors come out with their kids from 7-10 pm on the common driveway, and are very noisy, and one of their’s dog, ‘Happy’, keeps fucking with our cat, who pimp slaps him through our screen.

This is all well and good but, last week, one of the parents stuck his face in my screen and said ‘what are you doing in there? You don’t like children?’

At the time I was so shocked, I just said ‘I’m all good’, but in retrospect I think that was pretty aggro and I don’t know whether I should make a kerfuffle about it. I just want to chill in my garage unmolested.

What would you do?

Is blocking the garage with your car an option?
Put the car outside the screen ideally between you and them as a nice physical barrier.

WHen the kids start ramping up or the dog starts nosing in, you could make it a point to shut the door for a bit then open up when they chill, repeating as necessary.

I feel for you. Bad neighbors that cant take a hint are the worst.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

What would you do?
Heard the Fed are in Chicago with nothing better to do. Have them make a wall in front of your garage.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Heard the Fed are in Chicago with nothing better to do. Have them make a wall in front of your garage.
I bought some of my own tear gas, but the screen makes it problematic

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sticky situationssssss

Maybe try and bridge the gap and say 'hi' for a few minutes before heading into your garage so it's not like you're avoiding them. Might get the hint that you're not a dick, just want to be alone.
I do say hi, but apparently that's not enough. Maybe they're the dicks!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Google the name of the local park, and then print out several hundred copies of the listing (directions, description, reviews, etc). Whatever you can fit on one piece of paper. Then staple copies of if all over the street light poles / power poles near where they play (assuming there is something to staple them to). Keep doing it until they get the hint.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
LOL, what the actual fuck? What kind of entitled prick does that? Personally, I wouldn't make all that big a deal about it. Just wouldn't register on my radar as something worth my time. Seems like it's be a bigger hassle than it's worth. Next time he sticks his head in, push the button for the garage door.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I do say hi, but apparently that's not enough. Maybe they're the dicks!

When the guy stuck his head in the screen, were there other adults around, or was he just with his kids? I ask because, if he was by himself, maybe he was just trying to be friendly by busting your chops a little bit. If other adults were around though, he might have been giving you shit for buying the screen (especially if you're the only one who has one).

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
When the guy stuck his head in the screen, were there other adults around, or was he just with his kids? I ask because, if he was by himself, maybe he was just trying to be friendly by busting your chops a little bit. If other adults were around though, he might have been giving you shit for buying the screen (especially if you're the only one who has one).
There were like 5 other adults around

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Whatever he was trying to do, he's ****ing LUCKY AF that @tardigrade didn't squat him into the street.