New Game

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was thinking of a fun game with the Cubs. We can necro this next year.

Game goes like this.

Every positional player where they end up in 2022.

5 points for dead on.
3 points for right division (either league)
1 point for right league.

My list

LF Pederson Cubs
CF Happ Cubs
RF Heyward Cubs
3B Bryant Giants
SS Baez Phillies
2B Bote Cubs
1B Rizzo Braves
C Contreras Cubs

Hendricks Cubs
Arrieta Cubs
Davies Rockies
Williams Diamonbacks
Alozay Cubs

Kimbrel Boston

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That is no fun.

maybe, but it’s true. There isn’t a guy on the roster that I feel is a “must keep” type. I say trade them all away for prospects and give it a fresh restart. It’s the quicker way back to competing for rings

CSF77

Liked Posts:
maybe, but it’s true. There isn’t a guy on the roster that I feel is a “must keep” type. I say trade them all away for prospects and give it a fresh restart. It’s the quicker way back to competing for rings

I would say Hendricks, Happ, Alozay are guys that you can build around.

Jake is not a must but he is a guy that the next wave can learn from.

Maples is a maybe if he develops this year. He is Kimbrel with out the payment if he is legit and his talent level.

About it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I said Happ because he is flexible. His bat works in a corner 3B or 1B. So as they start filtering in new players a player like that can be moved around to fill in elsewhere.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I would say Hendricks, Happ, Alozay are guys that you can build around.

Jake is not a must but he is a guy that the next wave can learn from.

Maples is a maybe if he develops this year. He is Kimbrel with out the payment if he is legit and his talent level.

About it.

it’s going to be a rebuild. It will take 2-3 years minimum to get back to competing for championships again. Hendricks will be like 34 by then. Happ is just another all or nothing hitter in the cubs lineup that K’s far too much. Trade him while he still has some value that can help the rebuild.

alozay I’m fine with keeping since he’s cheap and controlled, but I don’t expect him to amount to much. Hell, even he will be pushing 30 by the time the cubs are competitive again

and I don’t want any human being learning from Jake

CSF77

Liked Posts:
it’s going to be a rebuild. It will take 2-3 years minimum to get back to competing for championships again. Hendricks will be like 34 by then. Happ is just another all or nothing hitter in the cubs lineup that K’s far too much. Trade him while he still has some value that can help the rebuild.

alozay I’m fine with keeping since he’s cheap and controlled, but I don’t expect him to amount to much. Hell, even he will be pushing 30 by the time the cubs are competitive again

and I don’t want any human being learning from Jake

Here is the thing. If they cut everything except guaranteed contract 2022 is at 58.125M.

2022 should have full seating again so there is no reason why Jed should not spend on a winning product. If they field trash it hurts at the box office because people don't like paying premium price for a minor league team.

This is why the Cubs will never go back to 2012. They had a free pass with a new admin. They were investing into a rebuild. This would be seen as stealing from the fan base and that doesn't play out in customer relationship.

I am accually expecting payroll to jump back up to 170M again. 2020 was 177M. 2021 147M.

So this is not a reach at all.

I do agree with you that Jed needs to dump players because the team is carbon copys of a player type. Hitter or pitcher. So it lack diversity.

But to say dump everything and run a sub 100M payroll... That won't float with the fan base.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Here is the thing. If they cut everything except guaranteed contract 2022 is at 58.125M.

2022 should have full seating again so there is no reason why Jed should not spend on a winning product. If they field trash it hurts at the box office because people don't like paying premium price for a minor league team.

This is why the Cubs will never go back to 2012. They had a free pass with a new admin. They were investing into a rebuild. This would be seen as stealing from the fan base and that doesn't play out in customer relationship.

I am accually expecting payroll to jump back up to 170M again. 2020 was 177M. 2021 147M.

So this is not a reach at all.

I do agree with you that Jed needs to dump players because the team is carbon copys of a player type. Hitter or pitcher. So it lack diversity.

But to say dump everything and run a sub 100M payroll... That won't float with the fan base.

do you understand the cubs fan base at all?

if you think the bleacher bums will care about the product on the field in 2022, and not just be ecstatic that they can go get wasted in Wrigley again...you’re mistaken I believe. Hell, the fan base has put up with minor league products for decades and yet the cubs are always near the top in attendance.

whether they will or not, I can’t say...I can’t read their minds. But, they absolutely should sell off all the players they can and field a low payroll for a year or two while the prospects they get from those trades develop.

if the cubs make the mistake of spending $$ just to spend it, they will end up far worse off long term. Giving money to mediocre players isn’t going to cut it

CSF77

Liked Posts:
do you understand the cubs fan base at all?

if you think the bleacher bums will care about the product on the field in 2022, and not just be ecstatic that they can go get wasted in Wrigley again...you’re mistaken I believe. Hell, the fan base has put up with minor league products for decades and yet the cubs are always near the top in attendance.

whether they will or not, I can’t say...I can’t read their minds. But, they absolutely should sell off all the players they can and field a low payroll for a year or two while the prospects they get from those trades develop.

if the cubs make the mistake of spending $$ just to spend it, they will end up far worse off long term. Giving money to mediocre players isn’t going to cut it

Back in the 90's and 80's. Ya I agree. And sure there are a fair share out there that are doing the college party there.

But let's be real. You go out and buy a seat for $40. Get loaded up at $10 a pop. Say you slug down 5.

Then you want a dog. $8.

So now you have spent $98 to get blitzed at a shitty bar with the worst form of entertainment. If you call masochistism entertainment more power to you

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
"if you think the bleacher bums will care about the product on the field in 2022, and not just be ecstatic that they can go get wasted in Wrigley again"

That was true in the 80's, 90's when t-shirts, beer, tickets, hotdogs we're relatively cheap. That's no longer the case today. For the kind of money people expect value in return, and that include winning team...

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Spending a Hundo on an outing to Wrigley isn’t that much. If you can’t afford it, don’t go. I guarantee plenty will still

CSF77

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Numbers don't lie.

2013-2014 they lost 5k fans per game. That is 405k fans lost over the year.

That matters.

The Rickets are not dumb.

They can lose Bryant, Rizzo, Davies, Willams and Baez.

Promote Davis for CF and Marquez for the rotation. Generate interest.

Move Happ or Joc to 1B.

Sign Story for SS. Trade Bote. Promote Nico for 2B. 3B I would target Marwin Gonzalez for a different look for the line up.

Retain Arreta and Kimbrel. Make Maples the 8th inning guy.

Rotation they need a ace. The only ace type is Thor but dude is injured a lot. Bundy is lining himself up for a pay day. So is Rondon.

Out of the two Rondon more likely hits F/A because the sox have a ace in the pen on a innings limit. Even if Rondon breaks out that can go on another teams dime. Cubs could use a 2nd lefty so that could be a thing. I wouldn't call him a ace at all but on the right track he is akin to Ted Lilly when the Cubs got him. Solid lefty that fits in as a #3.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Numbers don't lie.

2013-2014 they lost 5k fans per game. That is 405k fans lost over the year.

That matters.

The Rickets are not dumb.

They can lose Bryant, Rizzo, Davies, Willams and Baez.

Promote Davis for CF and Marquez for the rotation. Generate interest.

Move Happ or Joc to 1B.

Sign Story for SS. Trade Bote. Promote Nico for 2B. 3B I would target Marwin Gonzalez for a different look for the line up.

Retain Arreta and Kimbrel. Make Maples the 8th inning guy.

Rotation they need a ace. The only ace type is Thor but dude is injured a lot. Bundy is lining himself up for a pay day. So is Rondon.

Out of the two Rondon more likely hits F/A because the sox have a ace in the pen on a innings limit. Even if Rondon breaks out that can go on another teams dime. Cubs could use a 2nd lefty so that could be a thing. I wouldn't call him a ace at all but on the right track he is akin to Ted Lilly when the Cubs got him. Solid lefty that fits in as a #3.

those 405,000 fans come to roughly 20 mil in sales. By trading away these bums that can’t hit, the cubs would save far more than 20 mil. So yeah, ricketts isn’t dumb...he won’t look at it thru such a narrow lens like you just did

CSF77

Liked Posts:
those 405,000 fans come to roughly 20 mil in sales. By trading away these bums that can’t hit, the cubs would save far more than 20 mil. So yeah, ricketts isn’t dumb...he won’t look at it thru such a narrow lens like you just did

It can cost between 50-150 to view a game.

You said 20M.

50 a game per person which is buy a ticket and leave for every one is 20,250,000.

Taking the mean of 100 avg for a day at the park:. 40,500,000

This was numbers for 3 years ago and prices have gone up sense then but I'll just keep it to fact driven vs opinion.

40.5 mil is not 1 player. Unless you count Trout. That is Kimbrel plus Jake plus Heyward.

That is Story plus Rondon. You might even get Marwin at that cost.

That is the difference between a 200M roster and a 160M roster.

So it matters.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

It can cost between 50-150 to view a game.

You said 20M.

50 a game per person which is buy a ticket and leave for every one is 20,250,000.

Taking the mean of 100 avg for a day at the park:. 40,500,000

This was numbers for 3 years ago and prices have gone up sense then but I'll just keep it to fact driven vs opinion.

40.5 mil is not 1 player. Unless you count Trout. That is Kimbrel plus Jake plus Heyward.

That is Story plus Rondon. You might even get Marwin at that cost.

That is the difference between a 200M roster and a 160M roster.

So it matters.

first off, the people that are going to stop going to the games are on the lower end of the ticket costs. The wealthy will keep going because they don’t care about the cost. So yeah, it’ll be more of the tickets closer to $50 than it will the $150

next, you completely missed the point. Whether it’s 20 mil or 40 mil a season missed out on ticket sales, the amount saved by not extending Baez, rizzo, Bryant, etc is in the hundreds of millions. It doesn’t take a mathematician to figure out that missing out on the ticket revenue hurts less than spending hundreds of millions on garbage players. Which would you rather save as a businessperson...40 mil? Or hundreds of millions that you’re locked into having to pay in salary?

save hundreds of millions on trash players, at the cost of around 40 mil...that’s an easy decision to make

But instead, you’d rather the cubs shell out hundreds of millions to Trevor story who isn’t even that good of an impact player, to simply try and put butts in the stands for a franchise that never has trouble putting butts in the stands. Not to mention we aren’t even sure how many fans will come back in the post Covid world anyways. Sure, they plan on having full capacity next season...but nobody really knows if that’s going to be realistic. It makes far more sense to trade these guys to keep payroll down and wait and see how things play out. Instead, you want to commit hundreds of millions to guys that will keep us in a state of mediocrity. Awesome ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I never said extend Rizzo, Bryant or Baez. They have lost with them at lower cost. Why would you add cost for the same result?

That makes no sense to do so.

I posted that yes that they need fresh blood.

But they can invest and add self developed.

What we are seeing right now is a result of self development. Was great for 2 years. Maybe 3. After that the cost went up and the team quality went down.

Here is the thing. Building via the draft only is russian roulette. Sure less cost but you have no clue what if anything comes out of it.

The best method for a market that can spend is to bring up some for cost savings. Makes sense. Then invest into proven players. That way if you need a lead off you pay for one vs play the maybe we his guy will work because I am a dumbass and draft all the same type of player because shit don't matter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Theo's method is broken to begin with. Tom is a cheap ass and decided to push the easy button and promote Jed. More of the same mistakes.

True championship quality teams do both. You don't see the Dodgers pulling this shit. They self develop and the spend.

It is not rocket science.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I never said extend Rizzo, Bryant or Baez. They have lost with them at lower cost. Why would you add cost for the same result?

That makes no sense to do so.

I posted that yes that they need fresh blood.

But they can invest and add self developed.

What we are seeing right now is a result of self development. Was great for 2 years. Maybe 3. After that the cost went up and the team quality went down.

Here is the thing. Building via the draft only is russian roulette. Sure less cost but you have no clue what if anything comes out of it.

The best method for a market that can spend is to bring up some for cost savings. Makes sense. Then invest into proven players. That way if you need a lead off you pay for one vs play the maybe we his guy will work because I am a dumbass and draft all the same type of player because shit don't matter.

k so you agree with me then that we should move everyone on the roster that can net a return of any kind?