New Hungarian Constitution Adopted, Citizens Protest

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-16387117

Basically, the Hungarian government's majority party re-wrote their constitution setting it up more as a theocracy--specifically defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman, and defining life beggining at conception. They also wrote in laws re-vamping their national bank and turned it more into a bureaucracy. Further, they wrote into the constitution that can make the Fidesz party be the dominant one even after they are voted out.

From a Slovak radio broadcast last night, The corruption went even deeper--in that key government positions can be appointed for life by the party rather than being appointed by the current government. This would be like Obama somehow changing the constitution so that the cabinet members he appoints are there in perpetuity and whomever supersedes him has to use his cabinet. It also rescinded a lot of powers of their constitutiional court (analogeous to our supreme court) so that they cannot rule on any constitutional law that parliament doesn't appove them to.

The list literally goes on.

Anyhow, the EU is pissed and I hear wants to stop sending the Hungarians money. Both the EU and the US want them to rescind the new constitution for fears of potional human rights viouations and UN/EU charter violations.

Thoughts?

supraman

Liked Posts:
That is a horrible corruption. I hope to see Hungary revolt. Maybe it will kick something off, much like our revolution inspired the french revolution.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That is a horrible corruption. I hope to see Hungary revolt. Maybe it will kick something off, much like our revolution inspired the french revolution.

One side of me would love to see open revolt against this--hopefully it will scare other governments into submission.

The other side of this my Miška's family lives 13 kilometers from the Slovak/Hungary border...If there is open revolt that is definitly not good for them--especially since the Slovaks and the Hungarians are not exactly the best of friends.

supraman

Liked Posts:
I can certainly understand your concern and for their sake I hope nothing happens to them. I looked at it strictly of what would be good for Hungary and the world stand point

BigPete

Liked Posts:
Wait wait wait, you mean people in eastern europe are racists, bigots, homophobes, and religiously motivated extremists? NOOOOO That totally can't be true. There has to be a better reason for all of those mass graves in the balkans.....

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So I'm confused, why are we bombing Hungary?
<

supraman

Liked Posts:
To eliminate Hunger! You can give just 5 cents a day to save someones life from Hunger.

Fuck that when I'm hungary I need more than 5 cents, usually about 5 bucks.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
They better keep exporting that bitchin' paprika.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wait wait wait, you mean people in eastern europe are racists, bigots, homophobes, and religiously motivated extremists? NOOOOO That totally can't be true. There has to be a better reason for all of those mass graves in the balkans.....

Hungary is not part of the Balkans. They were not involved in that conflict. That would be like blaming Equador for Argentina harboring ex-nazis because they happen to be on the same continent.

Racists, bigots, homophobes are prevalent in every country including ours. That's nothing new. What's new is a nation generally held as 1st world when it comes to population rights (like all EU nations) flagrantly thumbing their nose at the same directives the EU stands for. It would be like a state here making abortion illegal, and when the US Supreme court rules against them basically saying "Fuck you, they're stiull illegal."

One other theory is that because of the anti-abortion law, all neighboring countries will become "pregnancy tourist spots" for young women to get abortions. You can imagine what this would do to foreign relations.

No matter how you slice it, this may get ugly.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Hungary is not part of the Balkans. They were not involved in that conflict. That would be like blaming Equador for Argentina harboring ex-nazis because they happen to be on the same continent.

Racists, bigots, homophobes are prevalent in every country including ours. That's nothing new. What's new is a nation generally held as 1st world when it comes to population rights (like all EU nations) flagrantly thumbing their nose at the same directives the EU stands for. It would be like a state here making abortion illegal, and when the US Supreme court rules against them basically saying "Fuck you, they're stiull illegal."

One other theory is that because of the anti-abortion law, all neighboring countries will become "pregnancy tourist spots" for young women to get abortions. You can imagine what this would do to foreign relations.

Well abortion is a state matter but that's a whole diff thread but I see what you are trying to say

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Czechs and Slovaks should invade.

A little retribution for being ruled over by them at one time.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Czechs and Slovaks should invade.

A little retribution for being ruled over by them at one time.

The Slovak puppet state during WWII tried that. It didn't work out so well. I think part of being an EU member is that you have to recognize nations' and peoples' soverignity no matter what the feelings are of the ethnic group of the other countries. Plus, Slovakia is confident in knowing that (a) they can and have kicked the living shit out of Hungary in Ice Hockey, and (
<
last World Cup Slovakia had a good showing (including beating Italy), while Hungary didn't qualify. Plus, the Slovaks brew better beer and have sexier women.
<

Does anything else really matter? I don't think so.
<

supraman

Liked Posts:
The Slovak puppet state during WWII tried that. It didn't work out so well. I think part of being an EU member is that you have to recognize nations' and peoples' soverignity no matter what the feelings are of the ethnic group of the other countries. Plus, Slovakia is confident in knowing that (a) they can and have kicked the living shit out of Hungary in Ice Hockey, and (
<
last World Cup Slovakia had a good showing (including beating Italy), while Hungary didn't qualify. Plus, the Slovaks brew better beer and have sexier women.
<

Does anything else really matter? I don't think so.
<

Yeah but we can't prove they have better looking women until you provide pics of the wifey.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought I did at one point. I remember TCD commented positive.

BigPete

Liked Posts:

Sorry, I thought you would see that I wasn't being literal. I served in Kosovo, I know exactly what countries are in the Balkans. I also know that Hungary is not that far away geographically or in mind set.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sorry, I thought you would see that I wasn't being literal. I served in Kosovo, I know exactly what countries are in the Balkans. I also know that Hungary is not that far away geographically or in mind set.

No worries, sorry for taking you too serious. (I didn't know you served in Kosovo). And yeah, technically it's not too far away geographically. Mindset I'm not too sure on. I don't know enough people from that region to really put my finger on it.