Next QB/WR dynamic duo?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The thing that I love most about Mooney is the work ethic he has, Fields was saying the reason he has such a good connection with him is because he was the one that would stay after practice and throw with him. The dudes got the work ethic of some of the greats and I believe he has the potential to be one.

This!

Mooney chose to build that rapport with Fields, and he's reaping the rewards from it on the football field. That alone was enough to let me know the ship had already sailed with AR. (Which sux) AR's relationship with the Bears was already tainted and he appears indifferent to repair it.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not that I have the answer, but go find a big jump ball receiver. Someone who can out jump and out fight the defender for the ball. Pair that with Mooney, and keep developing Kmet. I agree not to overspend here, put any money you have to shoe up the 0-line.

Not that he's excellent at it, But TY Hilton has a little bit of that, not to mention he catches with his hands and not his body. Of the "go up and get it" guys, he's the best available out there, I think, minus Adams who will be most likely out of our price range.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This!

Mooney chose to build that rapport with Fields, and he's reaping the rewards from it on the football field. That alone was enough to let me know the ship had already sailed with AR. (Which sux) AR's relationship with the Bears was already tainted and he appears indifferent to repair it.

Yep. Mooney put in the work. A-Rob is acting like he knows he's outtie.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'm going after Gallup or Mike Williams. Then drafting a wr rnd 2 and keeping marquis Goodwin. Then bring in some league minimum (Rodney adams) type guys and UDFAs

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Well, for starters, Brandon Marshall was a headcase and Jay Cutler was jay Cutler no matter what happened, be it new WR, new OC, etc.

If the Bears went bananas this offseason and somehow landed Davante Adams, you damn well know it will improve the offense, because Fields will actually play within an offensive system, vs Jay who just said "fuck whatever play was called - I'm holding it to throw deep way too long and then if it isn't open, dump it off in front of me for minimal gain".

And even with the headcase Marshall was, it absolutely DID improve the receiving corps. The man was a beast. It just didn't matter because Jay was still jay.

All that said, I actually agree with your approach (well, half of it).

1000% all focus first and foremost should be to get Fields behind a monster O-Line. Not an okay O-line. Not a "just good enough" O-Line. A MONSTER O-Line. Because some of the best weapons the Bears have right now are 2 damn good running backs and a quarterback who can run.

Get some monsters up front to block for the kid.

Past that, fill out the WR corps with at least competent WRs. You can survive on featuring Mooney for a year. I disagree on the tight ends, because I think you have your corps in Kmet, Horstead and James (fuckhead Nagy just isn't using them properly other than Kmet).

With the cap as it is, the Bears will have to get by on replacement level players on defense anyway, so you aren't winning much, so use the opportunity to grow the offense.

Then come 2023, make hay and draft a #1 WR, and then go to work on the defense in earnest.
The Packers are a prime example of great WRs(while they were with the Pack) going to another team and not doing shit. I'm pretty meh on Adams coming to the Bears. I think that they'll have to draft their #1 WR, assuming Mooney doesn't take over that role.

Properly scheming these skill players with Field's potential will be more beneficial than spending a lot of money on Adams, etc.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Packers are a prime example of great WRs(while they were with the Pack) going to another team and not doing shit. I'm pretty meh on Adams coming to the Bears. I think that they'll have to draft their #1 WR, assuming Mooney doesn't take over that role.

Properly scheming these skill players with Field's potential will be more beneficial than spending a lot of money on Adams, etc.

I don't know about what you mentioned, but if that is true, then the reason why they fail elsewhere is because they don't have Aaron Rodgers tossing to them anymore.

I can't believe I'm saying this as a Bears fan, BUT.... I don't think they would have that problem here... ;)

That being said, its always better to draft your #1 WR.

Mooney is NOT a true #1. Just isn't. He's an EXTREMELY good #2. But your #1 WR, you want him to be able to torch the opposing CB or otherwise be able to manhandle him and get the ball.

You have better luck trying to draft that guy. Honestly, this is where Miller not living up to his potential kills us - he certainly had traits, but the idiot had a 10 cent brain. At least had Miller lived up to his potential, then all we would be looking for is a #1 WR.

As far as scheming, with Fields skill set, I am not concerned about it other than I want the next scheme to be sound offensive football - no more gimmicks to spring guys open. I don't think Fields needs to rely on that...

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I don't know about what you mentioned, but if that is true, then the reason why they fail elsewhere is because they don't have Aaron Rodgers tossing to them anymore.

I can't believe I'm saying this as a Bears fan, BUT.... I don't think they would have that problem here... ;)

That being said, its always better to draft your #1 WR.

Mooney is NOT a true #1. Just isn't. He's an EXTREMELY good #2. But your #1 WR, you want him to be able to torch the opposing CB or otherwise be able to manhandle him and get the ball.

You have better luck trying to draft that guy. Honestly, this is where Miller not living up to his potential kills us - he certainly had traits, but the idiot had a 10 cent brain. At least had Miller lived up to his potential, then all we would be looking for is a #1 WR.

As far as scheming, with Fields skill set, I am not concerned about it other than I want the next scheme to be sound offensive football - no more gimmicks to spring guys open. I don't think Fields needs to rely on that...
I'm leaning that way too, which is why I don't feel like signing Adams would swing the pendulum much. Plus he's getting older. and when WRs fall off, it's often pretty sudden.

Russ Wilson is prime example. Baldwin/Tate weren't your #1 WR types, yet he was still playing at an elite level. Had a bunch of nobodies outside of that, they could catch when needed and block well. And they drafted Metcalf/Moore.

And yes, the Miller miss was pretty sizable. Bunch of talent, just a shit work ethic, and trash talker(that couldn't back it up).

So what I'm saying is, that even though Mooney may not be your typical #1 WR. The relationship/trust he has with Fields is so important in terms of Fields getting to the next level. If we sign Arob to hometown discount deal(which is where he's playing himself into) so be it.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm leaning that way too, which is why I don't feel like signing Adams would swing the pendulum much. Plus he's getting older. and when WRs fall off, it's often pretty sudden.

Russ Wilson is prime example. Baldwin/Tate weren't your #1 WR types, yet he was still playing at an elite level. Had a bunch of nobodies outside of that, they could catch when needed and block well. And they drafted Metcalf/Moore.

And yes, the Miller miss was pretty sizable. Bunch of talent, just a shit work ethic, and trash talker(that couldn't back it up).

So what I'm saying is, that even though Mooney may not be your typical #1 WR. The relationship/trust he has with Fields is so important in terms of Fields getting to the next level. If we sign Arob to hometown discount deal(which is where he's playing himself into) so be it.

Here's the thing, using our neighbors to the North as an example.

When they had Rodgers with McCarthy coaching, they really relied on Aaron Rodgers to make everything else better on offense. With a generational talent like him, they were only able to win 1 Superbowl in his whole career.

We'd be wise to learn from that lesson. Don't think that just because we finally got a QB, that we can just get by on crap at the wr positions. We need to find a real #1 WR to compliment Fields, and give him weapons. That's how you win Superbowls.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Here's the thing, using our neighbors to the North as an example.

When they had Rodgers with McCarthy coaching, they really relied on Aaron Rodgers to make everything else better on offense. With a generational talent like him, they were only able to win 1 Superbowl in his whole career.

We'd be wise to learn from that lesson. Don't think that just because we finally got a QB, that we can just get by on crap at the wr positions. We need to find a real #1 WR to compliment Fields, and give him weapons. That's how you win Superbowls.
They also never had a running game and their defense has been poor. They've been in contention for many a year with Rodgers doing it all with a #1 WR. But the inability to build even a competent team around Rodgers has been their downfall(and that includes the other side of the ball).

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah sure, ok. :shifty:

Same play style.

"But its not the same style because one is a little bigger, faster and weighs more!"

No, its just a guy who is bigger, faster, and weighs more is playing the position similar to the other guy.

Look - not here to tell you Mooney is better than Godwin. Godwin is indeed bigger and faster. But not by a jaw-dropping amount, and the way both players attack the ball is the same.

If we didn't have Mooney, Godwin would be a clear choice. But with limited cap space, why go after a similar player to one you already have? Why not get something a little different to increase the ways your WR corps can attack a defense?

Godwin is not faster lol. They literally have no similarities.

“Andy Fantuz will be a #1 WR in the NFL.”

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Godwin is not faster lol. They literally have no similarities.

“Andy Fantuz will be a #1 WR in the NFL.”

Dude you're trolling to try to win an internet pissing contest. Fuck off.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mooney is a great #2 but he doesn't possess the physical skills to become a gamebreaker.

If you're on the smaller side you better be super strong or super elusive. He's neither.
He's got everything except size. Unfortunately size helps. Thing is, he'll catch some of those he didn't this year and probably might become a viable #1 but he'll never be a premier #1 due to his stature.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's got everything except size. Unfortunately size helps. Thing is, he'll catch some of those he didn't this year and probably might become a viable #1 but he'll never be a premier #1 due to his stature.
I don’t think his stature is really an issue. There have been plenty of dominant WR’s who weren’t big guys. Steve Smith and Antonio Brown come to mind right off the top of my head. I’m not saying Mooney will ever be that guy.

Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that Mooney came from a small school and is probably still learning the professional route tree. He played his rookie year with Trubs and Foles and is now in his second year with a rookie QB who is just starting to click with his receivers. None of that means that Mooney will be a premier #1. His value will also be inflated if Fields becomes a top 5 QB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Give Fields a legit slot receiver (Jamison Crowder) and another guy on the outside to play opposite Mooney (Gallup, C.Sutton, M.Williams).

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Dude you're trolling to try to win an internet pissing contest. Fuck off.
I’m correcting a cupcake with a horrible evaluation who has a history of horrible evaluations at the WR position.

So soft.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
The thing is, his best game this year was still less than some of his worst games in years prior. He just gives off the body language of a guy mailing it in, and I don't want a guy like that on the roster.

Now - the Bears are going into a bye week. A lot can happen, and the Bears can use the extra time to get Justin more on the same page with his receivers.

So, if A-Rob heals up and starts balling out the rest of the way, I might reconsider. But I better not see anything that makes me question his effort from here on out. We don't need him to be the offenses answer to Eddie Jackson.
Honestly unless he balls out on an insane level im all set with Robinson. Hes simply not an elite #1 imho. I absolutely love Mooney but at this point i dont see anything that makes me think he could be a #1 either.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Honestly unless he balls out on an insane level im all set with Robinson. Hes simply not an elite #1 imho. I absolutely love Mooney but at this point i dont see anything that makes me think he could be a #1 either.

You and I are in agreement then. That even if A-Rob balled out the rest of the way, that he took half a season off would bother me to no end.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
I’m in the camp that it is better to draft WR’s. Too many good ones have been coming pro each year that it doesn’t make sense to spend big cap dollars on a FA WR. I believe that WR is similar to RB now, in that it doesn’t make sense to put big cap dollars there. Not sure how the Comp picks are awarded, but the Bears could get a few when the high prices guys are allowed to walk.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
The bears need to draft an OL with that 2nd pick and also go after Godwin hard.