Next Steps

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Obviously, the outlook of this team has significantly changed. There is something to build for now that we have Fields and we have some hope.

So what comes next.

Here are the current issues that need to be addressed and how would you address them?

-The Bears need to clear 10-12 million in cap space for draft picks and in season moves.

-The cap is going up, but most are predicting the big jump does not happen till 2023.

-The Bears are light on 2022 draft capital and are going to a decent rookie class again next year to weather the cap storm.

-What do we do with some upcoming free agents, Robsinon, Nichols, and Daniels?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Obviously, the outlook of this team has significantly changed. There is something to build for now that we have Fields and we have some hope.

So what comes next.

Here are the current issues that need to be addressed and how would you address them?

-The Bears need to clear 10-12 million in cap space for draft picks and in season moves.

-The cap is going up, but most are predicting the big jump does not happen till 2023.

-The Bears are light on 2022 draft capital and are going to a decent rookie class again next year to weather the cap storm.

Extend Robinson and Hicks. Cut Graham and Leno. Thatd potentially free up about 25 million. Try to extend Nichols, I think his value is still fairly low right now and can only go up with another solid season. I'd wait on Daniels. He's been inconsistent and is coming off injury. It might come down to choosing between who they'd rather keep after the season between daniels and whitehair too.

With that $25ish million grab Fischer on 1 year $6 million as a year to rebuild value after injury. 1 year $7 million for Sherman at cb1. TE Sprinkle to replace Graham for 1 yr 1.25 million. (Can probably get Eifert or Fells at similar value if they prefer)

Canth

Liked Posts:
The smart move will be to extend Robinson - both to reduce his cap hit and because he's a great receiver.

I doubt they cut Graham. The Reid style offense needs TE's to really make it work.

From a cap hit perspective, I understand wanting to extend Hicks. From a player decline perspective, I think that is likely the wrong move. So, I think you just have to ride out another year of Hicks on his current deal.

So, I guess the real question is: Is a contract extension of Robinson enough for this year? Can you get the $10-12 million cap savings just from that and maybe a few minor moves? Or will it take 2-3 major moves to get there?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
If the Bears could save money by moving from Leno to Eric Fisher or Dennis Kelly as the veteran OT on the team, I would love that.
I think they can. I think those guys are going to have to settle for below market this year and go into next year looking for bigger deals. Especially fisher coming off injury. If he recovers and plays well this year, I'd love to extend him too. It is definitely a risk dumping Leno for him coming off the injury he had, but one id be willing to take

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Excited to see what Fields to Robinson looks like

I would keep Robinson on the franchise tag this year and let him prove he can put up top 5/top10 WR numbers

I see this being a Watson to Hopkins type of connection early but the last thing you want to do is pay Robinson before they ever play a snap together (like Baker to OBJ which looked great on paper) to see if they can build chemistry.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Pretty much what everyone said. Extend Robinson, restructure Hicks, cut Leno and find a FA tackle.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
The smart move will be to extend Robinson - both to reduce his cap hit and because he's a great receiver.

I doubt they cut Graham. The Reid style offense needs TE's to really make it work.

From a cap hit perspective, I understand wanting to extend Hicks. From a player decline perspective, I think that is likely the wrong move. So, I think you just have to ride out another year of Hicks on his current deal.

So, I guess the real question is: Is a contract extension of Robinson enough for this year? Can you get the $10-12 million cap savings just from that and maybe a few minor moves? Or will it take 2-3 major moves to get there?
Yeah I hate extending hicks but also don't want to lose him this year. My hope would be to extend him just a year or two at most, but I am not sure he would go for that.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Extend Robinson and Hicks. Cut Graham and Leno. Thatd potentially free up about 25 million. Try to extend Nichols, I think his value is still fairly low right now and can only go up with another solid season. I'd wait on Daniels. He's been inconsistent and is coming off injury. It might come down to choosing between who they'd rather keep after the season between daniels and whitehair too.

With that $25ish million grab Fischer on 1 year $6 million as a year to rebuild value after injury. 1 year $7 million for Sherman at cb1. TE Sprinkle to replace Graham for 1 yr 1.25 million. (Can probably get Eifert or Fells at similar value if they prefer)
Richard Sherman is awful now. And a douche. No! No! No!

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Richard Sherman is awful now. And a douche. No! No! No!
Richard Sherman is still really good when he's healthy. Also he's a good teammate. Whether opposing fans like him is another story

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Raiders just signed Casey Heyward who i wanted us to get to compete with Trufant. Trufant isn't a bad CB, he's not a great one either. His biggest issue has been staying healthy so i guess we have two starting CB's that have health issues....GEESH.

Still plenty of good vets out there with B.Breeland at the top of my list now but i think because of the cap issues the plan is to stick with what we have now.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
2022 draft capital isn't a current issue. It's a 2022 issue, but it is an issue. As mentioned during the first couple days of the draft, it's going to be an absolute necessity that Pace hits on more of these selections because there is a very specific window now opened, where you will presumably get high value performance out of a QB in his rookie contract, before it inevitably crushes your cap. Not to mention its probably the Mack prime window. But we know Pace isn't concerned about the future if it doesn't include him. It will have to be played by ear.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

So what comes next.

Why do we need 12 million ? It seems more or less 7 million for rookie salaries.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Idk what to do with ar his best trade value was two years ago when we could have got a real draft pick now 3 is best possible scenario. I’m leaning towards extension but won’t be mad if he walks

Nichols you extend if it’s 5mil tops

Daniels needs to prove allot to even get a min contract

I wouldn’t extend or cut hicks. If I can get a pick for him I would just move on

cut graham yesterday

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Robinson signed the Franchise tag pretty quickly when he saw the FA market was pretty tight, I wonder if after the draft if he is more inclined to look at an offer from Chicago now that they have gotten serious about offense?

A lot of good WR were drafted, so there is the possibility that Free agency next year for WR might be similar to this year.

OTC has us at nearly $50M for 2022, which is better than we had this year by a lot, and hopefully the cap will go up, if only marginally more.

Next years Draft we did give up 1st rounder and 4th rounder, but that still leaves us with a 2nd and a 3rd to land possible starters, plus 5,6 and 7 to add depth.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

Cut Jimmy Graham, Charles Leno and either James Daniels or Akiem Hicks. I'd probably cut Daniels. Everyone talks about how great he is, but he isn't that much better than Alex Bars. That frees up 13 million.

Pray Thomas Graham is an above average starting CB in the NFL. Pray Jesper Horsted can provide valuable minutes at TE (I am not intending this as a joke). Pray Sam Mustipher is a good center which he actually may be. Pray Riley Ridley is the secret weapon on the shelf that the Bears are getting ready to unleash (also not intended as a joke). Pray at least 2 UDFAs get unearthed from this year's class to be key contributors.

Sign a bunch of one year contract free agents to fill in the massive holes that were created by having little draft capital in 2022. If Robert Quinn is still not himself in 2021 he can be cut and free up cap space.

The good news is that we aren't relying on Rashaad Coward evolving into greatness anymore.

That's a huge list of things that need to happen to smooth out the upcoming storm. It's not likely to happen. So, prepare for the bumpy ride. Good news is that the Bears will have a clean slate to work with as far as sigining free agents after next year.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We're going to have to move on from older veterans and give younger guys a shot. Graham needs to go. Time for Kmet to prove what he is SUPPOSED to be. Probably Leno, too. Wims maybe.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

Extending from this, I agree completely.

But potential cuts could be Leno, post June 1st he saves 9 million? And I think the June 1st cuts are going to open the doors for his replacement.

We can also convert Quinns current year to bonus money, freeing up $11 million.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Fields is going to play this year I would rather Graham still be on the team. 2 Savvy route runners would be helpful....

As sad as this is, if it is between Hicks and Graham I'd rather see Graham.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Extending from this, I agree completely.

But potential cuts could be Leno, post June 1st he saves 9 million? And I think the June 1st cuts are going to open the doors for his replacement.

We can also convert Quinns current year to bonus money, freeing up $11 million.

I had not thought about that with Quinn. Would converting to bonus money affect being able to cut him after the season in any way from a cap hit perspective? Because unless he returns to his 2019 form, there is no way that Quinn should be in the 2022 plans.