Next Steps

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Protect the 2022 Cap Space

Based on a 205 million dollar cap for 2022, the Bears currently have about 50 million in cap space for 2022. That sounds like more than you think, as they do not have a lot of players under contract.

The only real money saving cuts are

Foles 7 million [3 dead]
Quinn 6.7 million [9 dead]
Blackson 2 million [1 dead]

As hard as it is, the Bears should not run out and spend a bunch of money or move a bunch of money into 2022. That is when the window should really open and we do not want to be bargain shopping at that point.

Keep Trying to Generate 2020 Draft Capital

-WR Anthony Miller, I would keep him at this point because I am not sure that Dazz Newsome is ready to be the #3, but it could be that the relationship is toast and they need to try and move him. If Adam Shaheen can return a 6th round pick than Miller should return something in terms of future capital.

-QB Nick Foles, the team trading for Foles would be adding a 2 years 12 million/9 guaranteed dollar contract, which is not crazy for a backup QB. If I am the Bears I would eat 3-4 million of the guarantees if it brought back a pick. If they have to keep him he would be a great mentor in the room, but he is very expensive for a glorified QB coach.

Extensions

-Allen Robinson,
I think now is the time to strike with Robinson. The QB has been upgraded, the vibe is much better, and the last thing we want is to lose our #1 WR after 1 year with Fields. Now is the time to get back into this, he does not want to play under the tag and the Bears need the threat of the tag year as some leverage. If they get this done they can be way more flexible with the guys listed above. Robinson would clear a bunch of the cap space that they need.

5 years 100 million/60 guaranteed/15 signing bonus

Year 1: 7 GS/3 SB [10]
Year 2: 13 GS/3 SB [16]
Year 3: 4 S/10 GS/3 SB/5 RB [22]
Year 4: 16 S/3 SB/5 RB [24]
Year 5: 20 S/3 SB/5 RB [28]

-DE Bilal Nichols,
Pace usually gets 1 deal done for a homegrown guy each camp and this season it should be Nichols. The transition from Hicks to him upfront started last season and now the financial transition needs to happen. Nichols had a great 2020 and looks to be building into the centre piece of the DL.

New Money: 4 years 36 million/18 guaranteed/5 SB
Old Money: 1 year 2.5 million
Total Deal: 5 years 38 million/18 guaranteed/5 SB

Year 1: 2 GS/1 SB [3]
Year 2: 5 GS/1 SB [6]
Year 3: 2 GS/1 SB/4 RB [7]
Year 4: 10 S/1 SB [11]
Year 5: 10 S/1 SB [11]

Draft Capital

The move up for Fields was the right move, it will always be the right move, and the Bears had to do it, or they would have been relegated to irrelevance. But, it has left them light on draft picks in 2022, a season where the cap is not expected to make a total rebound and grow. The Bears need to find a way to generate some day 3 picks. I have said it a couple of times, they will not replace the quality of the 1st round pick, but they can replace the quantity that they have lost. They are not currently eligible for a comp pick, which sucks, but they can make veteran trades and move down to supplement.

NO MORE TRADE UPS

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
The question is are Pace and Nagy in a win this year situation? If so then you probably keep Hicks. It's a weird predicament because you have a young offense and an aging defense that could still be capable of being a top 5 unit. Cutting Leno was a good first step imo. After this year the defensive rebuild will need to start. The likes of Quinn, Hicks, Trevathan and possibly Mack will be gone. This is a pivotal season for Eddie Jackson as well. He has underperformed the last two years. So, does drafting Fields give Pace and Nagy a free pass and a chance to do a full rebuild or are they in win now mode?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Draft better.
Spend better.
Coach better.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The question is are Pace and Nagy in a win this year situation? If so then you probably keep Hicks. It's a weird predicament because you have a young offense and an aging defense that could still be capable of being a top 5 unit. Cutting Leno was a good first step imo. After this year the defensive rebuild will need to start. The likes of Quinn, Hicks, Trevathan and possibly Mack will be gone. This is a pivotal season for Eddie Jackson as well. He has underperformed the last two years. So, does drafting Fields give Pace and Nagy a free pass and a chance to do a full rebuild or are they in win now mode?
I think they have 2022 in their pockets now.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
How has he shown he can change? Because you like the picks this year? He still zeroes in on players he likes/wants and trades up for them when he has to. Not saying that's a bad thing. Just saying, you "predicting" trade backs in next year's draft is baseless. It's like being at the counter at McDonalds and a regular customer orders a Sausage Biscuit every morning for 6 years, then one day you decide to bag up an Egg McMuffin because today's the day he's going to order something different. You're fine to do that, to each his own, but there's a good chance you're wrong.
Nice try.

No, it isn't like you say.

It would be more like that customer coming in one year and ordering a sausage biscuit in 2015.

Then returning a year later, ordering a sausage biscuit, but then changing his mind and ordering a sausage McMuffin (a McMuffin being a +2 on the "mmmmm" scale compared to a sausage biscuit) in 2016.

He returns a year later, orders a sausage biscuit, but asks for and pays the heavy McDonalds price of adding an extra piece of cheese on that sausage biscuit in 2017.

He returns a year later and orders a sausage biscuit in 2018

He then does not show up for 2 years (2019 + 2020) because he spent all his spare change on a heavy duty pickup.

He then goes to McDonalds, orders a sausage biscuit, cancels the order and walks over to a 5-star restaurant and orders a prime steak.

Notice how:

1. there are 7 events, instead of 7*365? Every single day since 2015 is an actual trend. 7 points since 2015 is just random events.
2. Let's take your 7 points of data and see if there is at least some kind of common event.
a. 2 out of the 7 events, there was no trade at all.
b. 2 of those events, there was a major player trade.
c. 2 of those events, there was a small movement of 1 or 2 positions
d. 1 of those events, there was a major movement of 9 positions for a potential franchise QB.
e. There are so few points and there is no relationship between any of them. It is just as likely that the Bears would be just as much not trade, trade a few spots or trade for a major star. Making a major trade in the draft would be just a bit less than any of those.
3. Those 7 points are so random and so few that they do not exclude anything going forward. Being so random, anything I predict is not impossible because those points cannot be a realistic predictor of the future.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
McDonalds sucks
false

5d00e7e0-4ce3-484a-b3da-7a87ee686f39.png

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
No, that's what you hope will happen. History shows that's not how it's going to go. Pace has yet to trade down with his first pick in any draft. He also literally just traded up after trading up the previous round. He's only traded down 1 time in the first 5 rounds of a draft and that was to pick Adam Shaheen.
Traded down twice in the second the year they drafted White hair.
But I agree it's doubtful he trades down in those rounds unless there is no single player he feels he has to have or has a group of players all ranked about the same

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I can't believe this argument is still going a week later.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Pace is here for the long term after pulling off that Fields trade.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does Windy still post here? I was hoping he'd post a mock off-season thread. I loved those every year and gave me a glimmer of hope with this bunch.