Next Year

2Deep

Liked Posts:
This is not going to go well here but with the unknown at QB for next year I would consider the following....

Sign Mitch to a 2 year contract and let him start. In the meantime you do the following

Draft/FA LT
Draft/FA RT
Draft QB in 1st or 2nd round
Draft another RB

....and you run the shit out of the football and you play action pass game off your run game.

Play to Mitch's strengths until the rookie QB is ready to take over.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's like everyone already forgot the Bears signed Nick Foles to a three year contract that still has a bunch of guaranteed money.

You can still do everything else in the OP, but the Bears are not re-signing Trubisky.

2Deep

Liked Posts:
It's like everyone already forgot the Bears signed Nick Foles to a three year contract that still has a bunch of guaranteed money.

You can still do everything else in the OP, but the Bears are not re-signing Trubisky.

I didn't forget about Foles but he's pointless.
He can be a 3rd string, which sucks, because you have money invested in him.

But he can't start. This is where the Bears have handicapped himself.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

A bunch? Foles has 10.33Mil guaranteed. He's due to get 6.67 of that next year in salary and signing bonus. If you designate him a June 1 cut, you only have to pay 7.67Mil next year. That's only an extra million for him to go away. For reference, the Bears had a 5.5Mil cap hit paid to Trey Burton this year.

Like i said in another thread, Foles' purpose in Chicago was that if Mitch failed he was someone that knew the Nagy offense. If there is no Nagy offense in Chicago, there is no purpose for Foles. I don't know that I necessarily go with Trubisky (though I would definitely consider him), but I definitely don't give any snaps to Nick Foles.

msadows

Liked Posts:
A bunch? Foles has 10.33Mil guaranteed. He's due to get 6.67 of that next year in salary and signing bonus. If you designate him a June 1 cut, you only have to pay 7.67Mil next year. That's only an extra million for him to go away. For reference, the Bears had a 5.5Mil cap hit paid to Trey Burton this year.

Like i said in another thread, Foles' purpose in Chicago was that if Mitch failed he was someone that knew the Nagy offense. If there is no Nagy offense in Chicago, there is no purpose for Foles. I don't know that I necessarily go with Trubisky (though I would definitely consider him), but I definitely don't give any snaps to Nick Foles.

Thing is, that june 1st cut would be worthless, because any cap you save you won't use at that point because any decent FA will be signed by then.

Foles is going to be on this team next year. No doubt about it.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point (it could change), I think the real QB prospects will be gone when the Bears pick, and we cannot get suckered into taking a fringe QB because this team desperately needs starters elsewhere. You've got posters now saying sucker shit like "it's a QB heavy draft." No it's fucking not. You're buying the hype now.

If @rawdawg is correct about making Foles disappear for $7.6M - just do it.

Everyone knows I think Mitchell is only a bottom five starter, but if it's between being tempted to over-draft a QB who's probably going to bust, and taking o-line...fuck it - sign Mitch for two more years, draft a QB in 2022.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Foles is just another massive mistake from Pace. But Nagy's hands are all over that one too since he wanted him as well because "he knew the system."

msadows

Liked Posts:
At this point (it could change), I think the real QB prospects will be gone when the Bears pick, and we cannot get suckered into taking a fringe QB because this team desperately needs starters elsewhere. You've got posters now saying sucker shit like "it's a QB heavy draft." No it's fucking not. You're buying the hype now.

If @rawdawg is correct about making Foles disappear for $7.6M - just do it.

Everyone knows I think Mitchell is only a bottom five starter, but if it's between being tempted to over-draft a QB and taking o-line...fuck it - sign Mitch for two more years, draft a QB in 2022.

Just because you say it's not, doesn't mean it's not. Buddy boy.

And no, he's wrong, I just looked it up:

POST-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $11,666,6662022 Dead Cap: $2,666,6682021 Cap Savings: $-5,000,000

msadows

Liked Posts:
Cutting foles even after 6/1 costs us 5million, just to cut him. No, not dead cap, we LOSE CAP.

He's going no where, unless some team takes on his contract via trade, even then we save 1.3M.

Enjoy Foles, don't worry, he will ensure we get a top 10 pick next year.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutting foles even after 6/1 costs us 5million, just to cut him. No, not dead cap, we LOSE CAP.

This.

Also...you are then spending more money to bring back Trubisky AND you want to fix the OL.

Just go with Foles and hope you can draft his replacement ASAP.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This.

Also...you are then spending more money to bring back Trubisky AND you want to fix the OL.

Imagine wanting to hurt your franchise just to cut a player you dislike. That's the state of this fanbase nowadays.

It's the same scenario with leno, which is why I think they won't cut him. He saves 6m(so its diff then foles), but has 5m dead cap which is a decent chunk for a limited cap year. Whoever you replace him with would have to cost around that 6m, and no decent tackle better than him would make that little.

If you sign mitch, and cut foles, you'd basically have 20m against the cap, again, for the QB position.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
This.

At that point, yes, Mitch is a goner and Foles is staying.

All the more reason to draft o-line and hope we get a good pick in 2022. We could half-assed have an offense ready for the rookie to walk into. Remember the weapons Mitch had to work with in 2017??

Do not over-draft a QB; Do not trade picks to move up. We do not need to keep making these mistakes. We need starters desperately. The defense is getting really old.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Imagine wanting to hurt your franchise just to cut a player you dislike. That's the state of this fanbase nowadays.

It's the same scenario with leno, which is why I think they won't cut him. He saves 6m(so its diff then foles), but has 5m dead cap which is a decent chunk for a limited cap year. Whoever you replace him with would have to cost around that 6m, and no decent tackle better than him would make that little.

If you sign mitch, and cut foles, you'd basically have 20m against the cap, again, for the QB position.

Imagine wanting to keep the worst starter on the roster the last two years because of the cap....lol

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Thing is, that june 1st cut would be worthless, because any cap you save you won't use at that point because any decent FA will be signed by then.

Foles is going to be on this team next year. No doubt about it.

1. That's not how June 1 cuts work. Players are free to look for other jobs right away, just don't come off the books til June 1. You can combat this by signing another guy that was cut with a June 1 designation, or simply just wait to announce it until after June 1.
2. Doesn't even matter, because the Bears don't save anything. They lose 1M by getting rid of Foles June 1st.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Imagine wanting to keep the worst starter on the roster the last two years because of the cap....lol

Because you probably won't replace him with anyone better.....because of the cap.

Unless they draft a LT, I find it difficult to see how they can sign an improvement in FA at LT. If I were nagy I'd start Spriggs at LT the rest of the year so you at least see what you got in him.

msadows

Liked Posts:
1. That's not how June 1 cuts work. Players are free to look for other jobs right away, just don't come off the books til June 1. You can combat this by signing another guy that was cut with a June 1 designation, or simply just wait to announce it until after June 1.
2. Doesn't even matter, because the Bears don't save anything. They lose 1M by getting rid of Foles June 1st.

I think you misinterpreted what I posted. Nearly all the good players will be gone by June 1st.

And no, they lose 5m , my man. I posted it above.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because you probably won't replace him with anyone better.....because of the cap.

Unless they draft a LT, I find it difficult to see how they can sign an improvement in FA at LT. If I were nagy I'd start Spriggs at LT the rest of the year so you at least see what you got in him.

I think they better draft a left tackle. For two years straight I've heard nothing but complaints about Leno, and now with the draft coming up is the perfect time to replace him at a low cost.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Just because you say it's not, doesn't mean it's not. Buddy boy.

And no, he's wrong, I just looked it up:

POST-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $11,666,6662022 Dead Cap: $2,666,6682021 Cap Savings: $-5,000,000

Nope. I'm not wrong.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Not really a "bunch", his guaranteed money figure is thirtieth in the league. He has barely more money committed to him than Jacoby Brissett. His cap hit next year is a touch under seven million, functionally it should not get in the way of the Bears executing on any sort of plan.

The Robert Quinn and Khalil Mack contracts are what would drive the Bears cap crunch, if the Bears actually had a cap crunch.

edit-rawdawg beat me to it. Nice.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think you misinterpreted what I posted. Nearly all the good players will be gone by June 1st.

And no, they lose 5m , my man. I posted it above.

No, the good players thing isn't true at all. Secondly, it doesn't even matter if the Bears lose money, because it's not like they get extra money June 1 anyway because it costs MORE to cut Foles. Even if they did get extra money, you don't technically have to wait to use it. You just have to wait to account for it.

They could designate Leno a June 1 cut and get 9M in cap savings instead of 6.2Mil pre June 1. But that doesn't mean they have to wait until June to sign a player for 9M. They can fudge the cap by agreeing to sign a 9M player but not announcing it until June 1.