KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don’t make predictions

Nelly

Liked Posts:
6 turnovers vs 2...................outplayed.
8 pass's defended vs 2 ...........outplayed.

We are talking about secondary's here.

So yes, Joseph did outplay him.
PFF has Brisker at 67.0 and Joseph at 64.0. You're citing raw quantative stats while in other threads having talked about how much better the Lions pass rush/D-line is/was than the Bears', which has a direct correlation with turnovers. The pass rush in front of Brisker was the worst in all of football last year yet his advanced stats were better nonetheless.

Yes, Cam Sutton is heads and shoulders above Johnson.
A little context. Sutton was a 3rd round pick who didn't start until his 4th year in the league, and even then that was only 5 games. He played a little over half his teams' snaps that year. That year he put up a 68.6 score with PFF. (I'm using PFF cause i haven't watched these guys plays every snap and it's an objective advanced analytic). 2021 he has 61.9 as a full-time starter, then bounced back up to 71.6 last season. Good for him.

Johnson (2nd round pick) has been a starter from day one. His scores were 54.9 as a rookie, 64.2 as a sophomore and 62.9 last year; definitely nothing to write home about. I think he's overrated (especially for this defense that wants to ballhawk) and why Poles drafted Stevenson and Terrell Smith. That said, at the same spot in their respective careers, Sutton wasn't even a starter yet. One-to-one right now though, yea I'd take Sutton.

Gardener Johnson had 6 ints to Jackson's 4
See above concerning the pass rush, which is especially stark for G-J playing on one of the best defenses in the league with one of the best front 7's last year and often playing with a lead. PFF had Gardner-Johnson at 63.9 last year to Jackson's 76.2. Gardner-Johnson's best PFF score was as a rookie in NO where he played about half his team's snaps. His best PFF score since then was last year. Eddie Jackson meanwhile has never played less than 94% of the Bears' snaps when healthy, put up a 93.2 PFF score in 2018, 68.4 as a rookie, 67.0 in 2019. And while he admittedly sucked in 2021/2022, he bounced back last year quite nicely, again with the worst pass rush in the league in front of him. I'm taking Jackson and it's not close.

Mosely is depth or CB2, and still yields a much higher pff than Johnson
Oh now you quote PFF when it's convenient for your argument.

Branch was a much more highly regarded prospect.

If Joseph and Gardner-Johnson are the starting safeties where does Walker fit in? Just a depth piece?

Gardner Johnson in the nickel, Walker at SS.
I thought Branch was drafted to be the nickel?

I think i've illustrated that the Bears' safeties are already better not to mention Brisker's massive upside. Little mention of Stevenson and Branch but great, Branch was more highly regarded but he also played at Alabama while Stevenson transferred from Kirby Smart's Georgia team as a sophomore to Miami in order to be able to play outside CB where he was a more natural fit and locked down opposing receivers in college but lost that name recognition of a big-time SEC school. Detroit has the edge at corner right now, but i'm hopeful that Gordon will find his place at nickel where he was drafted to play after a bumpy rookie season. Cheers.

Last edited:

GoBears

Liked Posts:
1. Bears
2. Vikings
3. Lions
8. Packers

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A little context. Sutton was a 3rd round pick who didn't start until his 4th year in the league, and even then that was only 5 games. He played a little over half his teams' snaps that year. That year he put up a 68.6 score with PFF. (I'm using PFF cause i haven't watched these guys plays every snap and it's an objective advanced analytic). 2021 he has 61.9 as a full-time starter, then bounced back up to 71.6 last season. Good for him.

Johnson (2nd round pick) has been a starter from day one. His scores were 54.9 as a rookie, 64.2 as a sophomore and 62.9 last year; definitely nothing to write home about. I think he's overrated (especially for this defense that wants to ballhawk) and why Poles drafted Stevenson and Terrell Smith. That said, at the same spot in their respective careers, Sutton wasn't even a starter yet. One-to-one right now though, yea I'd take Sutton.

See above concerning the pass rush, which is especially stark for G-J playing on one of the best defenses in the league with one of the best front 7's last year and often playing with a lead. PFF had Gardner-Johnson at 63.9 last year to Jackson's 76.2. Gardner-Johnson's best PFF score was as a rookie in NO where he played about half his team's snaps. His best PFF score since then was last year. Eddie Jackson meanwhile has never played less than 94% of the Bears' snaps when healthy, put up a 93.2 PFF score in 2018, 68.4 as a rookie, 67.0 in 2019. And while he admittedly sucked in 2021/2022, he bounced back last year quite nicely, again with the worst pass rush in the league in front of him. I'm taking Jackson and it's not close.

Oh now you quote PFF when it's convenient for your argument.

I think i've illustrated that the Bears' safeties are already better not to mention Brisker's massive upside. Little mention of Stevenson and Branch but great, Branch was more highly regarded but he also played at Alabama while Stevenson transferred from Kirby Smart's Georgia team as a sophomore to Miami in order to be able to play outside CB where he was a more natural fit and locked down opposing receivers in college but lost that name recognition of a big-time SEC school. Detroit has the edge at corner right now, but i'm hopeful that Gordon will find his place at nickel where he was drafted to play after a bumpy rookie season. Cheers.

PFF has Brisker at 67.0 and Joseph at 64.0. You're citing raw quantative stats while in other threads having talked about how much better the Lions pass rush/D-line is/was than the Bears', which has a direct correlation with turnovers. The pass rush in front of Brisker was the worst in all of football last year yet his advanced stats were better nonetheless.

PFF scores are a correlation of stats. Brisker gets a bump due to his tackles, which is a result of taking more snaps closer to the line of scrimmage. Joseph's coverage skills are better, as witnessed by his big advantage in pass breakups. As the original comment was made about the secondary, I am weighting coverages skills over being dropped down into the box.

That is as indicative of the talent around each player as it is in development. Patrick Mahomes didn't play much his first year either......

Gardner Johnson has position versatility, and is asked to play Free Safety/Strong Safety/Nickel. Give him the opportunity to just play FS, as Jackson, and watch his numbers rise. Using PFF in this circumstance is not an apples to apples comparison. His 2022 snap distributions were 23.25% at strong safety, 55.04% at free safety and 21.34% in the slot. There were only 11 other safeties who played more snaps in the slot in 2022. Jackson can not even begin to do these things. And still he walked away with more turnovers than Jackson. So if you're taking Jackson, you are a taking a one-trick pony.

I think the majority of his snaps this year will be in the nickle, yes, but he is another player drafted for his versatility, and will be used much like Gardner Johnson as he learns the ropes.

I think i've illustrated that the Bears' safeties are already better not to mention Brisker's massive upside.

I think I have countered that argument, and how is it Brisker has massive "upside" and not Joseph? Again, Brisker is simply meh in coverage.

Last edited:

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
6 turnovers vs 2...................outplayed.
8 pass's defended vs 2 ...........outplayed.

We are talking about secondary's here.

So yes, Joseph did outplay him.
Yes, Cam Sutton is heads and shoulders above Johnson.
Gardener Johnson had 6 ints to Jackson's 4
Mosely is depth or CB2, and still yields a much higher pff than Johnson
Branch was a much more highly regarded prospect.

If Joseph and Gardner-Johnson are the starting safeties where does Walker fit in? Just a depth piece?

Gardner Johnson in the nickel, Walker at SS.
Your opinion is bullshit.....................bottom line Bears back seven is better than lions.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your opinion is bullshit.....................bottom line Bears back seven is better than lions.
We will revisit this at the end of the year and see which team had the better pass defense.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Congratulations on one of your best posts i've seen.

PFF scores are a correlation of stats. Brisker gets a bump due to his tackles, which is a result of taking more snaps closer to the line of scrimmage. Joseph's coverage skills are better, as witnessed by his big advantage in pass breakups. As the original comment was made about the secondary, I am weighting coverages skills over being dropped down into the box.
So now you're specifically addressing "coverage skills." That's new, why didn't you specify that before? Tackling, blitzing, playing closer to the line of scrimmage... all part of a safety's game, especially a strong safety like Brisker.

That is as indicative of the talent around each player as it is in development. Patrick Mahomes didn't play much his first year either......
Just saying, you're comparing a guy who's got a lot more experience and saying he's better. That's fine, which is why I would say Sutton is the better player right now but maybe Johnson makes a big 4th year jump now that there's more talent around him and an improved D-line.

Gardner Johnson has position versatility, and is asked to play Free Safety/Strong Safety/Nickel. Give him the opportunity to just play FS, as Jackson, and watch his numbers rise. Using PFF in this circumstance is not an apples to apples comparison. His 2022 snap distributions were 23.25% at strong safety, 55.04% at free safety and 21.34% in the slot. There were only 11 other safeties who played more snaps in the slot in 2022. Jackson can not even begin to do these things. And still he walked away with more turnovers than Jackson. So if you're taking Jackson, you are a taking a one-trick pony.
Jackson was used at nickel a bit by Chuck Pagano. Just because a guy can do it doesn't necessarily mean it's a great idea. I'll take a great ball-hawking safety over a decent guy who can play more than one position because i've got other guys to play those positions.

I think the majority of his snaps this year will be in the nickle, yes, but he is another player drafted for his versatility, and will be used much like Gardner Johnson as he learns the ropes.
That's fine, i just don't advantage in playing a young guy at numerous positions. We did that with Kyler Gordon last year and he struggled mightily at times probably due in part to it. I'd rather be able to let a young guy lock into one position and excel there before going and moving him around.

I think i've illustrated that the Bears' safeties are already better not to mention Brisker's massive upside.

I think I have countered that argument, and how is it Brisker has massive "upside" and not Joseph? Again, Brisker is simply meh in coverage.
I'd like to see Brisker when he and his fellow DBs don't have to try to cover for seven seconds every play. But as said above, a safety's job is a lot more than coverage which is why Brisker was drafted. Perhaps we should be comparing Eddie Jackson to Joseph while comparing Brisker to whoever else is slotted to play a strong safety role on the Lions? I don't even know because you've listed 4 safeties on the Lions (Joseph, Branch, CJ Gardener-Johnson and Tracy Walker). Looks like Walker is a decent player? I'm looking at his games started and snap counts and trying to figure out what his deal is. 27% of snaps played as a rookie but had a stellar 89.8 PFF grade. Then his second season he started 12 of his 13 games playing 88% of the snaps and had a very good 73.5 score. Then his third year (2020) he played in 15 games but only started 7 and saw his snap percentage drop to 71% with a terrible 51.0 grade. 2021 he started 15 of 15 games for 88% snap percentage and a 63.8 pff score. Last year it looks like he got hurt all year (only 3 games) but was at a 74.3 score.

There's a lot of hair splitting going on here and i'm not here to shit on the Lions unlike how you're here only to shit on the Bears. I think the Lions did a great job upgrading their secondary from last year and I can certainly get on board with saying the Lions' secondary at this point is better than the Bears on paper before any games are played in 2023.

If you're up for it, do you think the Bears are better than the Lions at any position on either side of the ball? Cause based on what I've seen you say:
  1. Fields isn't a QB and therefore Goff is a lot better
  2. Gibbs/Montgomery easily over any of the Bears backs
  3. Not sure about WR but if i had to guess, it sounds like you'd take St. Brown/Williams/Jones over Moore/Mooney/Claypool
  4. I'm guessing you'd take LaPorta over Kmet/Tonyan?
  5. Lions O line over the Bears easily
  6. DE isn't a contest, Lions all the way
  7. DT isn't either, whoever the Lions have is better...?
  8. Campbell/Anzalone/Okwara/Rodrigues over Edmunds/Edwards/Sanborn/Sewell?
  9. As said here above, clearly you'd take the Lions secondary here over the Bears, seems like at every single position?

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I could say the same thing about Bears fans anointing JF as a legit QB.
I mean, it depends on what you mean by legit. I think it's entirely reasonable to expect a better Justin Fields in 2023 than we saw in 2022, given the natural progression curve of young quarterbacks. He's the most talented quarterback in his division. You don't have to squint that hard to see a scenario where him taking another step in his development could alter the landscape of the division in a very favorable way for CHI.

Anybody banking on him taking a quantum leap into superstardom is far less realistic, but not impossible, given his talent level. I think a realistic goal for him would be somewhere in that top 11-16 range of quarterbacks. If he ends up better than that, forget the division, you can start talking superbowl.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Congratulations on one of your best posts i've seen.

That's fine, i just don't advantage in playing a young guy at numerous positions. We did that with Kyler Gordon last year and he struggled mightily at times probably due in part to it. I'd rather be able to let a young guy lock into one position and excel there before going and moving him around.

I'd like to see Brisker when he and his fellow DBs don't have to try to cover for seven seconds every play. But as said above, a safety's job is a lot more than coverage which is why Brisker was drafted. Perhaps we should be comparing Eddie Jackson to Joseph while comparing Brisker to whoever else is slotted to play a strong safety role on the Lions? I don't even know because you've listed 4 safeties on the Lions (Joseph, Branch, CJ Gardener-Johnson and Tracy Walker). Looks like Walker is a decent player? I'm looking at his games started and snap counts and trying to figure out what his deal is. 27% of snaps played as a rookie but had a stellar 89.8 PFF grade. Then his second season he started 12 of his 13 games playing 88% of the snaps and had a very good 73.5 score. Then his third year (2020) he played in 15 games but only started 7 and saw his snap percentage drop to 71% with a terrible 51.0 grade. 2021 he started 15 of 15 games for 88% snap percentage and a 63.8 pff score. Last year it looks like he got hurt all year (only 3 games) but was at a 74.3 score.

There's a lot of hair splitting going on here and i'm not here to shit on the Lions unlike how you're here only to shit on the Bears. I think the Lions did a great job upgrading their secondary from last year and I can certainly get on board with saying the Lions' secondary at this point is better than the Bears on paper before any games are played in 2023.

If you're up for it, do you think the Bears are better than the Lions at any position on either side of the ball? Cause based on what I've seen you say:
  2. Gibbs/Montgomery easily over any of the Bears backs
  3. Not sure about WR but if i had to guess, it sounds like you'd take St. Brown/Williams/Jones over Moore/Mooney/Claypool
  4. I'm guessing you'd take LaPorta over Kmet/Tonyan?
  5. Lions O line over the Bears easily
  6. DE isn't a contest, Lions all the way
  7. DT isn't either, whoever the Lions have is better...?
  8. Campbell/Anzalone/Okwara/Rodrigues over Edmunds/Edwards/Sanborn/Sewell?
  9. As said here above, clearly you'd take the Lions secondary here over the Bears, seems like at every single position?
So now you're specifically addressing "coverage skills." That's new, why didn't you specify that before? Tackling, blitzing, playing closer to the line of scrimmage... all part of a safety's game, especially a strong safety like Brisker.

The conversation was always about the secondary. That does not usually include linebackers. Strong safeties, that are brought down into the box to play the run, are nothing more than glorified lb's. Joseph is clearly a better coverage guy than Brisker.

Just saying, you're comparing a guy who's got a lot more experience and saying he's better. That's fine, which is why I would say Sutton is the better player right now but maybe Johnson makes a big 4th year jump now that there's more talent around him and an improved D-line.

The conversation was about who had the better secondary, again.

Jackson was used at nickel a bit by Chuck Pagano. Just because a guy can do it doesn't necessarily mean it's a great idea. I'll take a great ball-hawking safety over a decent guy who can play more than one position because i've got other guys to play those positions.

Except Gardner Johnson is also a better ball hawk. But comparing the Pff Scores would be like if Jenkins played 50% of his snaps at guard, and 50% of his snaps at LT, and then comparing them to a full time guard.

I'd like to see Brisker when he and his fellow DBs don't have to try to cover for seven seconds every play. But as said above, a safety's job is a lot more than coverage which is why Brisker was drafted.

That depends on if the position played is SS or FS.

Perhaps we should be comparing Eddie Jackson to Joseph while comparing Brisker to whoever else is slotted to play a strong safety role on the Lions?

The Brisker -Joseph comparison was made, as both were products of the same draft.

I don't even know because you've listed 4 safeties on the Lions (Joseph, Branch, CJ Gardener-Johnson and Tracy Walker). Looks like Walker is a decent player? I'm looking at his games started and snap counts and trying to figure out what his deal is. 27% of snaps played as a rookie but had a stellar 89.8 PFF grade. Then his second season he started 12 of his 13 games playing 88% of the snaps and had a very good 73.5 score. Then his third year (2020) he played in 15 games but only started 7 and saw his snap percentage drop to 71% with a terrible 51.0 grade. 2021 he started 15 of 15 games for 88% snap percentage and a 63.8 pff score. Last year it looks like he got hurt all year (only 3 games) but was at a 74.3 score.

A great player that was mishandled and played out of position much of the MP years. Yes, he is more of a Kirbey Joseph type of SS.

Right off the top, LB, yes.

Until JF can show he can become a competent passer, making quick reads and being able to deliver the ball with anticipation on timing routes, this is indeed the case. There is no denying Fields is a better runner, but his life expectancy being used in this manner will be that of a RB
  1. Gibbs/Montgomery easily over any of the Bears backs
Bears RB's are one dimensional. If JF comes to the line, and audibles out of a designed run into a pass play, Herbert becomes a liability. Not to mention, it literally telegraphs to the defense what the Bear's intent is. Funny thing about YPC, it doesn't show how many QB hurries or sacks the RB was responsible for.

1. Not sure about WR but if i had to guess, it sounds like you'd take St. Brown/Williams/Jones over Moore/Mooney/Claypool
Too many moving pieces here. Williams suspended, Mooney is hurt, Claypool has been trash. The WR cores is as much a product at the AB that is delivering them the ball. I will say this, if I had to pick one WR out of the group, it would be St. Brown.
  1. I'm guessing you'd take LaPorta over Kmet/Tonyan?
I would take the Lions TE group over the Bears, but it is close, and largely based on potential. On proven talent, the Bears have the edge, but the Lions OC has shown he can get much more out of less. I do not have a high opinion of Getsy.
  1. Lions O line over the Bears easily
  2. DE isn't a contest, Lions all the way
yes

1. DT isn't either, whoever the Lions have is better...?
A wash, too many unprovens on both sides at this moment.
  1. Campbell/Anzalone/Okwara/Rodrigues over Edmunds/Edwards/Sanborn/Sewell?
No, Bears LB's are better. Also asked to do different thngs.
  1. As said here above, clearly you'd take the Lions secondary here over the Bears, seems like at every single position?
Secondary Lions
Linebacking Bears
Edge Lions
DL wash

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

The conversation was always about the secondary. That does not usually include linebackers. Strong safeties, that are brought down into the box to play the run, are nothing more than glorified lb's. Joseph is clearly a better coverage guy than Brisker.

The conversation was about who had the better secondary, again.

Except Gardner Johnson is also a better ball hawk. But comparing the Pff Scores would be like if Jenkins played 50% of his snaps at guard, and 50% of his snaps at LT, and then comparing them to a full time guard.

I'd like to see Brisker when he and his fellow DBs don't have to try to cover for seven seconds every play. But as said above, a safety's job is a lot more than coverage which is why Brisker was drafted.

That depends on if the position played is SS or FS.

Perhaps we should be comparing Eddie Jackson to Joseph while comparing Brisker to whoever else is slotted to play a strong safety role on the Lions?

The Brisker -Joseph comparison was made, as both were products of the same draft.

I don't even know because you've listed 4 safeties on the Lions (Joseph, Branch, CJ Gardener-Johnson and Tracy Walker). Looks like Walker is a decent player? I'm looking at his games started and snap counts and trying to figure out what his deal is. 27% of snaps played as a rookie but had a stellar 89.8 PFF grade. Then his second season he started 12 of his 13 games playing 88% of the snaps and had a very good 73.5 score. Then his third year (2020) he played in 15 games but only started 7 and saw his snap percentage drop to 71% with a terrible 51.0 grade. 2021 he started 15 of 15 games for 88% snap percentage and a 63.8 pff score. Last year it looks like he got hurt all year (only 3 games) but was at a 74.3 score.

A great player that was mishandled and played out of position much of the MP years. Yes, he is more of a Kirbey Joseph type of SS.

Right off the top, LB, yes.

Until JF can show he can become a competent passer, making quick reads and being able to deliver the ball with anticipation on timing routes, this is indeed the case. There is no denying Fields is a better runner, but his life expectancy being used in this manner will be that of a RB
  1. Gibbs/Montgomery easily over any of the Bears backs
Bears RB's are one dimensional. If JF comes to the line, and audibles out of a designed run into a pass play, Herbert becomes a liability. Not to mention, it literally telegraphs to the defense what the Bear's intent is. Funny thing about YPC, it doesn't show how many QB hurries or sacks the RB was responsible for.

1. Not sure about WR but if i had to guess, it sounds like you'd take St. Brown/Williams/Jones over Moore/Mooney/Claypool
Too many moving pieces here. Williams suspended, Mooney is hurt, Claypool has been trash. The WR cores is as much a product at the AB that is delivering them the ball. I will say this, if I had to pick one WR out of the group, it would be St. Brown.
  1. I'm guessing you'd take LaPorta over Kmet/Tonyan?
I would take the Lions TE group over the Bears, but it is close, and largely based on potential. On proven talent, the Bears have the edge, but the Lions OC has shown he can get much more out of less. I do not have a high opinion of Getsy.
  1. Lions O line over the Bears easily
  2. DE isn't a contest, Lions all the way
yes

1. DT isn't either, whoever the Lions have is better...?
A wash, too many unprovens on both sides at this moment.
  1. Campbell/Anzalone/Okwara/Rodrigues over Edmunds/Edwards/Sanborn/Sewell?
No, Bears LB's are better. Also asked to do different thngs.
  1. As said here above, clearly you'd take the Lions secondary here over the Bears, seems like at every single position?
Secondary Lions
Linebacking Bears
Edge Lions
DL wash
Oh okay, it’s okay for you to say the lions are better at a position based on potential, but when a bears fan tells you the bears secondary is better based on potential you proceed to lose your shit and we end up with pages upon pages of your drivel

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh okay, it’s okay for you to say the lions are better at a position based on potential, but when a bears fan tells you the bears secondary is better based on potential you proceed to lose your shit and we end up with pages upon pages of your drivel
Where did I say the Lions were better based on potential?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Where did I say the Lions were better based on potential?
32 HC's and 32 GMs would take Fields over Goff if building a team right now today. I get it you blindly love your team and every position is the bestest. It will mean 8-8 to the rest of us and you guys looking for a QB that can keep up. Bears have a chance to own this div for years.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
32 HC's and 32 GMs would take Fields over Goff if building a team right now today. I get it you blindly love your team and every position is the bestest. It will mean 8-8 to the rest of us and you guys looking for a QB that can keep up. Bears have a chance to own this div for years.
Prove it. Got a link? Bears will never own the division, they can't beat GB. Ouch!!

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Prove it. Got a link? Bears will never own the division, they can't beat GB. Ouch!!
That was then.. From now on things will be different, take that to the bank..