NFL coaches & execs rank Justin Fields a 'tier 4' QB | Bears | Bernstein & Holmes

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
What has Trevor Lawrence done to be put in a higher tier then Fields? His numbers were horrible last year. At max he falls under the category of unknown, which is tier 4.
My only guess is he played all 17 games and has a bigger sample size?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He also had the best team and coach and organization.

I'm fairly certain if feilds or lawrence went to NE it would be a similar or better result.

Mac rarely wow'd me, and the advanced stats back that up too. He's a game manager to me until proven otherwise.

Not sure what happened to tank fields stock so much that he was picked 4th. You mentioned lawrence being a generational talent, but fields was pretty much right there with him all the way from his junior year of high school.
Watching Mac Jones noodle arm some of these balls he threw made me realize why he was the 5th QB taken. Some of them were pretty ugly balls. Lol.

Fields was right there as like 1B to Trevor Lawrence until the draft hype machine really started rolling. Then the Orlovsky types started talking about his work ethic, and I even saw mention of his epilepsy which never caused him to miss practice or a game through high school, college, or the NFL now. But people were talking about it.

I think Fields was the victim of that weird draft hysteria. The kind of shit where a dude is a stud for 3-4 years in college, but some random dude jumped 2 inches higher and gets drafted ahead of him based on what ifs. The kind of Darius Heyward-Bey drafting. ?

Honestly, if it wasn't for that NFL draft insanity, Fields would never have fallen to us. It was a blessing that people just started shitting on him for no reason. Maybe Pace did start leaking all that shit. That would be hilarious to find out. It would be his best move as a GM. Regardless, I'm glad he fell to the Giants, and they were too stupid to draft him in favor of keeping Daniel Jones. So many things went our way to get Fields, including the Vikings apparently low-balling teams on trades to trade up to draft him. Now I just hope he becomes a stud.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just feel like how can they not let this guy Mesh with the new coaches and players, everyone feel's we don't have superstar Olin or WR but the system should and could be the difference and some of those supposed bum players could surprise.

I think after us having what ever you call the Matt Nagy Offense, you would think they would give it a optimistic chance. The Bear's always are a team where if every position on Offense is not already set or one of the best players that they some how can develop with this new staff or and in future draft's along with the upside of what Field's could become?.. other wise we should of just stayed with Nagy eh? They were a lot less negative on Fields during that time.... I feel like it's because the bears have never had a Great QB. That doesn't mean it can change this time around.

Most of the Opinions are just that Opinions because we haven't seen everyone playing in a meaningful game yet. So I am a little confused on how much we supposedly already know ABOUT the players we have when they haven't played yet. We all know the big time players names and the vets and the supposed great Rookies coming in... but I mean what is the point if there is no possibility of success if the Media and Fans Already know everything is just going to fail?

It's not about not being able to take negative coverage , it's about having the ability to see where things go before making such a broad statement on the future the Field's the new coaches and players. I suppose it pays to hope for the worst and get something better because people don't like being wrong, so it's easier to just preach failure. Well for me it doesn't make for good content when trying to get a real FEEL for how the team and Justin and the coaches are doing so far this training camp.
It's still a makeshift OL right now, Draft picks haven't played a real game and we're starting 3 to 4 of those plus the punter. We have one accepted starter at WR. Lost out best D player and our current 1st (or 2nd) one is holding out (Quinn is more important than Quan). The media view is very understandable and the further they're away from this regime, the worse the prediction should be.

Coaching matters more in football than any other sport. Remains to be seen but I suspect we did real well in all phases on that account. Fields is currently forcing himself through progressions and really knows where guys are supposed to be. Once that gets enough reps, he'll see the rush better as the other stuff will no longer take precedence.

We play enough meh teams with a staff that will adjust to whatever strength they have to possibly win about 1/2 our games. I don't expect players completely missing critical assignments or tackles to be a thing this year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mac should be there as well. He has looked mediocre in practice without that McDaniels magic
He was easily the best at navigating pro Ds in actual games. 3800 yds and a 92 rating. Not really a surprise, His ability to see the field is his game and a guy like Fields should be able to surpass him in another year but it's not a given that Jones won't increase his velocity either.

I didn't see the ratings but Mills should be above the 1st 4 QBs taken as well. This sort of states that case and is more fair to Fields.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Only thing mac has proven is he won't lose you a game

He passed for 37 yards less than the Bears ALL TIME single season passing leader as a rookie.

I'm not saying the guy will ever be a top 5 QB or anything but it just cracks me up the length Bears fans go to discredit the guy.

If we had a rookie QB with a season like that we'd have shit all over ourselves so much we'd need a fleet of dump trucks to clean up the mess.

(que the endless "but Nagy, but Oline, but but but.... just admit he had a good season folks. Has nothing to do with the Bears or JF1.)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He passed for 37 yards less than the Bears ALL TIME single season passing leader as a rookie.

I'm not saying the guy will ever be a top 5 QB or anything but it just cracks me up the length Bears fans go to discredit the guy.

If we had a rookie QB with a season like that we'd have shit all over ourselves so much we'd need a fleet of dump trucks to clean up the mess.

(que the endless "but Nagy, but Oline, but but but.... just admit he had a good season folks. Has nothing to do with the Bears or JF1.)

That is more a reflection on the Bears than Mac considering Bears haven't had a 4k yard passer. Mac had a good season but the question is how much of that was him and how much of that was scheme and coaching. Too early to tell at this point.

Having said that more than one way to win in the NFL. Mac is a QB in the mold of Orton, JG or Brees ie guys who are accurate underneath but don't scare teams throwing deep. The question is whether Mac ends up on the low end of that spectrum or the high end but as the vast majority of passes in the NFL are in the short and intermediate game, he can still be immensely successful without a consistent deep ball.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I hate JF1.
Not all of us are you. Mac had obvious flaws in his game and it showed as the season went on. Mac did read defenses better than the other rookies but we are going to find out if that is due to his own ability or the fact he was drafted to the best organization than the other QBs with the best OC at the time. The most impressive rookie QB to me was Mills. Wasn’t even considered in the same league as the other five, got drafted to a shit organization going through turmoil, really didn’t have weapons and yet put up good numbers.

By the way it’s hilarious the lengths some bears fans go to discredit their own QB

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That is more a reflection on the Bears than Mac considering Bears haven't had a 4k yard passer. Mac had a good season but the question is how much of that was him and how much of that was scheme and coaching. Too early to tell at this point.

Having said that more than one way to win in the NFL. Mac is a QB in the mold of Orton, JG or Brees ie guys who are accurate underneath but don't scare teams throwing deep. The question is whether Mac ends up on the low end of that spectrum or the high end but as the vast majority of passes in the NFL are in the short and intermediate game, he can still be immensely successful without a consistent deep ball.
Brees had a decent deep ball, I wouldn’t compare him to Mac. Maybe a Chad Pennington during his later years is a more accurate representation?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not all of us are you. Mac had obvious flaws in his game and it showed as the season went on. Mac did read defenses better than the other rookies but we are going to find out if that is due to his own ability or the fact he was drafted to the best organization than the other QBs with the best OC at the time. The most impressive rookie QB to me was Mills. Wasn’t even considered in the same league as the other five, got drafted to a shit organization going through turmoil, really didn’t have weapons and yet put up good numbers.
By the way it’s hilarious the lengths some bears fans go to discredit their own QB
is this a bit now? Or do you honestly think I’m discrediting Justin Fields somehow?

I was on the Mills bandwagon long before anyone here.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

is this a bit now? Or do you honestly think I’m discrediting Justin Fields somehow?

Both and why did you quote the post like this? Now it looks like a run and shoot post without the numbers

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Both and why did you quote the post like this? Now it looks like a run and shoot post without the numbers

I honestly have no idea why you think I’m down on Fields or trying to discredit him in any way. We’ve talked about this numerous times. I mean the bit part is funny. But that you actually think it too is weird.

Yeah i fucked up the quote. ?‍♂️

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brees had a decent deep ball, I wouldn’t compare him to Mac. Maybe a Chad Pennington during his later years is a more accurate representation?

Jones attempted more deep passes in his rookie season than Brees attempted the last 3 years. Brees was more accurate to the tune of around 50% vs Jones 40% but the point his game was not really about the deep ball. It was throwing short and intermediate to Thomas, Kamara and the TE.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I thought we’d draft him in 2. Thought fields long gone and pats take Mac. Much happier with how it actually went down.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jones attempted more deep passes in his rookie season than Brees attempted the last 3 years. Brees was more accurate to the tune of around 50% vs Jones 40% but the point his game was not really about the deep ball. It was throwing short and intermediate to Thomas, Kamara and the TE.
Jones throws deep plenty. He’s just throwing to spots and not splitting defenders. His tank of success is low. 24th. But that.s about the same rank as deep ball separation from his WRs.

This is just for discussion purposes. Fields may have the best deep ball of the class.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Jones throws deep plenty. He’s just throwing to spots and not splitting defenders. His tank of success is low. 24th. But that.s about the same rank as deep ball separation from his WRs.

This is just for discussion purposes. Fields may have the best deep ball of the class.
We'll see how he does this year without McDaniels. I'm still apprehensive on his ability as a head coach, but he sure knows how to get the best play out of a QB(see Orton in Den).

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We'll see how he does this year without McDaniels. I'm still apprehensive on his ability as a head coach, but he sure knows how to get the best play out of a QB(see Orton in Den).
The coaching in NE from an outside point of view looks like a Nagy level of disfunction right now. And that includes Belicheck, as he’s the one making these decisions…

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And every Brady fill in. Cassell, Hoye.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mac had obvious flaws in his game and it showed as the season went on.
Showed it earlier in the season too.

I just find the comparison weird. Two different types of players on different ends of the situation/support spectrum. Does anyone truly believe Mac would have played well on the Bears?