NFL.com Mock Draft... Bears trade up to get Trey Lance

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Wouldn't they just give another pick from '22? I'm seeing 3rd in '21 + 1st in '22 fairly often. Not sure of the chart math, but maybe this year's 1st & 4th + next year's 1st & 3rd?
I guess it depends how far they move up. I have visions of the cost the 49ers paid ringing in my mind, I don't know if the Bears can develop a quarterback adequately if they use up too many draft picks to get the quarterback.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Works for me and I'd prefer him to sit for at least most of the year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I know I'm the resident "Trey Lance Apologist" so I might as well clear up a couple things.

1. He's not a 1-year wonder. A 1-year wonder is a guy who played 3-4 years of football and only produced in 1 of them. Lance only produced in 1 season, but it was out of.......1 season. Redshirt then cancelled season out of his 3 in college. Can't call him a 1-year wonder when 100% of the time he's played a season he's been good.

2. Andy Dalton isn't good enough, and Ryan Pace/Matt Nagy's jobs aren't secure enough for Lance to sit all year (he also doesn't need to but that's a different argument). If Dalton plays like Dalton plays, the Bears will be bad offensively. If the Bears are bad offensively, they will lose. If the Bears are losing, the pressure to play Lance will increase. Just like it did with Trubisky.

Ironically, part of the reason I would want Lance on the Bears is that Pace/Nagy would likely be fired and the top coaching names for 2022 would be Brian Daboll (developed a similar QB in Josh Allen) and probably Joe Brady (developed Burrow, college background and Lance could run a college style offense very well). So, if the Bears took him, I'd be so scared that Nagy (or the OL) would break him before he gets a good coach/system.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
If you draft a1st rd QB it would be hard to justify keeping Foles. I think we get more roster spots this year but I don't see foles sticking around if this happens. Lance could possibly play later on if Dalton gets hurt that would be fine with me

Perspective

Liked Posts:
If the Bears draft Trey Lance he must not play in 2021. I love the idea and love the player, but they cannot send him to die behind this pitiful offensive line. It will destroy his confidence and ruin him before his career even has a chance to get off the ground.
What do u mean pitiful OL? Daniels Whitehair Mustipher Bars make for a strong interior OL proven over multiple games last year ... Ifredi was really good at RT last year and Leno may not be an all pro LT but we will get a OT in this draft at a later draft pick since this draft is deep
At OT

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I get that some of you are saying he should be on the bench for at least a year. The part that I don't get is for the Bears to INVEST this much, with a pricey move up the draft for a guy that's only played 1 year. Just doesn't make sense to me at all.

I'm not saying that he won't do well, but for the price its too much of a gamble. I would rather get an instant starter (any position), or Fields, who has proven his time in college to even sit out a year.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Ignoring the trade up for Lance which is what 90% of the posts in this thread are about (Im not going to add anything that hasnt already been said), the rest of this mock is hot garbage for the Bears. They pick up a 4th string S, a back up to Bilal Nichols, and a "trys hard but doesnt have an NFL body" EDGE who projects to develop into a rotational player maybe. Thats a fucking terrible result and makes almost no sense given the Bears needs.

Edit: Using the mock in OP here are better choices imo that I found in 5 minutes that were available when the Bears picked:

Round 1 (8): Lance trade from article - QB
Round 2 (52): Stone Forsyth - OT
Round 5 (164): Frank Darby - WR
Round 6 (204): Ambry Thomas - CB
Round 6 (221): Brendon White - SS

Last edited:

46plank

Liked Posts:
I don’t think that Fields will live up to the hype. But then again, I thought Ryan Leaf was going to be better than Peyton Manning?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If Lawrence/Wilson/Jones are the first 3 QBs taken, and we trade up, I would hope it would be for Justin Fields.

Admittedly, I don't know a ton about Trey Lance outside of a couple of highlight videos I've seen of him. Justin Fields definitely has a chance to be special, though.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't they just give another pick from '22? I'm seeing 3rd in '21 + 1st in '22 fairly often. Not sure of the chart math, but maybe this year's 1st & 4th + next year's 1st & 3rd?

the trade value mentioned , while fair, is most likely not enough

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you comfortable with Naggy developing him? And if he gets fired lance is saddled on to the next regime like trubisky was. With that said I would be happy with lance just sucks the way the bears do business shit never works out right

I don’t think Nagy will be fired.

I am fine with our offensive staff. Nagy has a massive ego, but Flip and Lazor have done this before.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like Fields more. I would be happy with Lance.

If they took Lance over Fields I would be surprised but not upset.

if they took Mac Jones over Lance I would understand.

If they take Mac over Fields I will burn Halas hall to the ground.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Ignoring the trade up for Lance which is what 90% of the posts in this thread are about (Im not going to add anything that hasnt already been said), the rest of this mock is hot garbage for the Bears. They pick up a 4th string S, a back up to Bilal Nichols, and a "trys hard but doesnt have an NFL body" EDGE who projects to develop into a rotational player maybe. Thats a fucking terrible result and makes almost no sense given the Bears needs.

Edit: Using the mock in OP here are better choices imo that I found in 5 minutes that were available when the Bears picked:

Round 1 (8): Lance trade from article - QB
Round 2 (52): Stone Forsyth - OT
Round 5 (164): Frank Darby - WR
Round 6 (204): Ambry Thomas - CB
Round 6 (221): Brendon White - SS

Mayfield was still avail in Rd 2 as well

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I like some things about Lance. Size, athleticism, mobility, adequate arm, decent accuracy, quick hips, play action, has a chip on his shoulder, lack of turnovers...

Concerns. Lack of sample size ( Post Trubisky Stress Disorder), played against lower quality competition. Throws some ducks from time to time.

I think SF nabs him at 3 though, so no point in getting ones hope up

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
I guess it depends how far they move up. I have visions of the cost the 49ers paid ringing in my mind, I don't know if the Bears can develop a quarterback adequately if they use up too many draft picks to get the quarterback.
I'd have no problems with the Bears giving up 3 ones and a future 2nd for pick 4. With pick 20 it will take a big jump to get Fields. Other teams like Denver or NE will also make offers. When will the Bears be in a position to make an offer and it be accepted to get one of the top 2 QBs in a draft. Usually a team wants a QB picking at the top of the draft. There have been several drafts that did not even have a player with Fields skills. Hoping they go all in like they did for Wilson. Fields trade could end up being a better gamble than the Wilson offer.