NFL Kickoff is in Jeopardy

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
It does matter to me, but ultimately, I'm not sure if there is any way to avoid it. They already admitted the play is too dangerous (more liability than sympathy for players). I think the article sums it up well. Personally, I think the punt is the lesser evil here, and could see that working.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
What play was it that folded Knox? Not a kick.
They way they're going we're not going to have Rollerball, we're going to have flag football.
What they should do is have all the players wear those giant inflated balls. Only their feet are exposed, hence football.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It’s only a matter of time.

Within the next 5 years, 10 at the most

AussieBear

so no need to have special teams players? more money for owners then..

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So everyone just like starts on the 20? Honestly this sounds horrible and for the first time would change my view on watching football.

No more pinning back?
No more late game onside theatrics?

7a30

Liked Posts:
So if a team scores a touch down with 30 seconds left and is behind by 2, then what? Game over because the other team gets the ball at the 20?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
They've been talking about this for several years. Doubt it happens anytime soon.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did anyone actually read the link?

Give the kicking team the ball on their own 30 and it is 4th an 15. They can punt it or go for it but no more kick offs. So it is possible to score and go for it, make the first down and get the ball back. This example is different than the one pitched before but very similar. It is going to change and I think this is a suitable replacement if kick offs have got to change.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
The kickoff moving to the 35 a couple years ago pretty much neutered the entire play/sequence. Kickers just sail the ball out of the endzone most times, unless its an obvious onsides. And on a lot of lower levels like pee-wee and some high school leagues, its gone completely. Eliminating it was the next step.

And LOL at the OP. The kickoff maybe going away is where you're going to draw the line? Not the continued, ambiguous "catch" rule? Where its now up to the referee's discretion whether or not the receiver "made or attempted to make a football move?"

Spoken like a true meatball.....

Although I'll agree here, I don't understand why the NFL can't just be entirely upfront about CTE with a "play at your own risk" disclaimer and leave the game alone. Let it all come back, but with Roger Gooddell and his team of continued legal-speak people, the game is going more and more this way. And he's not going anywhere.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
The data shows it's one of the most dangerous plays, unfortunately. Bet it's gone by 2019 season.

I think the punt play is the best solution to replacing it...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I know a college official who during pregame starting chatting with a player on a very successful Big 10 team. The player was a junior, really didn't see much action aside from special teams. He explained to the referee that his sole job on the KO team was to break the wedge by any means necessary. It's been awhile since I've heard this story, but at the time, special teams in CFB was responsible for the majority of head/neck injuries. So while I don't think this necessarily will come to eliminating the kickoff, I do think part of this is to force teams to not use a roster spot for a guy whose main job is to run like a missile into three or four players.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I know a college official who during pregame starting chatting with a player on a very successful Big 10 team. The player was a junior, really didn't see much action aside from special teams. He explained to the referee that his sole job on the KO team was to break the wedge by any means necessary. It's been awhile since I've heard this story, but at the time, special teams in CFB was responsible for the majority of head/neck injuries. So while I don't think this necessarily will come to eliminating the kickoff, I do think part of this is to force teams to not use a roster spot for a guy whose main job is to run like a missile into three or four players.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
450be25a9e67e3d42ab47762b8236ebe.gif

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Did anyone actually read the link?

Give the kicking team the ball on their own 30 and it is 4th an 15. They can punt it or go for it but no more kick offs. So it is possible to score and go for it, make the first down and get the ball back. This example is different than the one pitched before but very similar. It is going to change and I think this is a suitable replacement if kick offs have got to change.

That actually sounds kind of fun.

I mean I enjoy the kickoff, it's got some real excitement as someone comes flying from offscreen to change the flow of the play.

One thing I don't like about this idea is the 4th down attempt to replace the onside kick. On the onside, you have backups trying for the recovery. People that otherwise ride the pine have a chance to see the field. For an offensive play, you're throwing your starters out for another play. Not only that, but with the kick you cannot touch the ball for 10 yards, and it is dead upon the kicking team's recovery. With an offensive play, are you allowed to throw it short and pick up the distance with YAC? Who will be the first player to score a TD on such a play, for an immediate 14 pt swing?

Now most teams aren't offensive powerhouses with better odds to convert that play, but how fun is it going to be to have Brady throw to Gronk on a defense he just tired out with a methodical TD drive? Now that Rodgers can throw to Jimmy Graham, were I GB I'd just go for it every time and just give him a jump ball down field

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
I pray they do this, the NFL is only giving the XFL more chance to super-ceed them.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
4th and 15 is a lot easier to convert than an onside kick. I say make it 4th and 25.

4th and 25 is just ridiculous........

I like 4th and 15 better....keeps it more interesting and actually a possibility. A scatterplot of 4th down chances of 4th and 25 is effectively zero chance of being converted. 4th and 15 makes it manageable at about an 18% chance.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
4th and 15 is a lot easier to convert than an onside kick. I say make it 4th and 25.

last year there were 52 onside kicks, 11 were successful giving it a 21.2% success rate.

last year there were 97 4th and 15 plays run and 15 were converted for a 1st down giving it a 15.6% success rate.

data was found using pro-football reference game play finder.